IGNORED

A good read

Jerseybean

22 hours ago, handsofclay said:

Now you tell me. In that 18 hours and 51 minutes I purchased Manuel Meyer's biography and am on page 260. Thus far he has been born, had a very unremarkable existence at his local school and then spent 48 years keeping his head down and not doing anything to upset the bosses or his workmates at a steel plant in Cologne. He has never even got married, had a relationship or a holiday. I thought something spectacular must happen in the last 20 pages for you to have been so desirous of reading it. Now I discover you meant Manuel Bloody Neuer!!!

Sorry mate!! Never trust a computer!!

The first two books of Danny Baker`s autobiography are worth a read to those of us of a certain age (he`s a year older than me). If you want to know what actually happened with him, Chris Evans and Gazza rather than what the papers wanted you to believe it`s all in book two.

Charlie Connelly - Stamping Grounds where he follows Liechtenstein home and away for a World Cup qualifying campaign is pretty good too.

17 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

The first two books of Danny Baker`s autobiography are worth a read to those of us of a certain age (he`s a year older than me). If you want to know what actually happened with him, Chris Evans and Gazza rather than what the papers wanted you to believe it`s all in book two.

Charlie Connelly - Stamping Grounds where he follows Liechtenstein home and away for a World Cup qualifying campaign is pretty good too.

Read the first Danny Baker book and enjoyed it, you'd recommend the second then?

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Read the first Danny Baker book and enjoyed it, you'd recommend the second then?

Yes, it`s just as good. The third one is taking a long time to come out - two years nearly now - but it is the one that deals with his cancer I guess so must be difficult to write.

3 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

The Miracle of Castel Di Sangro by Joe Mcginniss is a great read about corruption in Italian football. Highly recommended 

Very good book that, and bizarrely Kevin Mabbutt apparently owns the film rights (or at least he did at one time).

I'm just reading No Hunger in Paradise (some others have mentioned his previous books which are also great) after hearing a debate on Talksport, it's a real eye opener in the academy system and the mostly shocking treatment of kids and the terrible practices in place.  Tammy gets a mention as a positive and there is an interesting take on Andre Blackman (briefly of this parish) and why he was such a nightmare.  Worth the £10!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LZDW9IM/ref=pe_385721_48721101_TE_DP

IMG_1636.PNG

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 20:33, Reigate Red said:

A book I read a very long time ago which captured football in the 1970's was The Glory Game by Hunter Davies. If my poor memory serves me right he was allowed access to the team for a season. 

Apologies for quoting myself but I saw this article in the Evening Standard on the way on home this evening which says that an updated version of the book is available.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/hunter-davies-bill-nicholson-s-name-and-achievements-with-tottenham-will-live-on-after-white-hart-a3536896.html

7 minutes ago, Reigate Red said:

Apologies for quoting myself but I saw this article in the Evening Standard on the way on home this evening which says that an updated version of the book is available.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/hunter-davies-bill-nicholson-s-name-and-achievements-with-tottenham-will-live-on-after-white-hart-a3536896.html

I've got The Glory Game. Great book. Haven't read all of it but there's a brief bit where Bill Nick drives down the M4 to watch his reserves at AG. And a bit where Hunter gets the football special with the fans to Wolves. I must finish it; I've had it for 20 years.....

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread but this inspired me to buy 'Inverting the Pyramid' a year or so ago. Just finished reading 'The Mixer' by Michael Cox which is also an excellent read and educational for any football fan. Does anyone else have any recommendations? 

17 minutes ago, Coppello said:

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread but this inspired me to buy 'Inverting the Pyramid' a year or so ago. Just finished reading 'The Mixer' by Michael Cox which is also an excellent read and educational for any football fan. Does anyone else have any recommendations? 

David Conn - The Beautiful Game - sparked my interest in the financial side of the game

Michael Calvin - No Hunger In Paradise - about young kids and academies

Michael Calvin - Living On The Volcano - about managers

Soccernomics

More than welcome to borrow any of them bar Living On The Volcano (kindle only).

Simon Jordan’s autobiography is worth a read too.

On 03/05/2017 at 17:05, steviestevieneville said:

I'll be getting Ray Parlour's autobiography for some light reading . Funny bloke is Mr Parlour. 

Ian Wright's is probably a good read as well

I dunno if Wright wrote it before Wenger left it might read.

Chapter 1 Wenger Out

Chapter 2 Wenger must leave

Chapter 3 Wenger and I used to be friends

Etc.. etc..

On ‎03‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 12:17, Vincent Vega said:

Non competitive games.? Big call that.

There is not so much at early ages to be gained. England plays competitive games at kids level at earlier ages than other European Countries here its U12 Spain U15. That's three extra years focusing on technique in Spain.

Anybody interested in kids/youth coaching I would recommend - Making the ball roll. 

Battling through "Wuthering Heights" currently. Says nothing about football, but a thing or two about Leeds fans (everyone's so angry, angry and paranoid, and bitter, and racist, and easily upset, and thumping, or threatening to thump, everyone - dogs, bairns, birds, the lot - and shouting, and cursing, and often marching off somewhere windswept, and ... )

14 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Battling through "Wuthering Heights" currently. Says nothing about football, but a thing or two about Leeds fans (everyone's so angry, angry and paranoid, and bitter, and racist, and easily upset, and thumping, or threatening to thump, everyone - dogs, bairns, birds, the lot - and shouting, and cursing, and often marching off somewhere windswept, and ... )

Though that was about Andy Hinchcliff?

Archived