IGNORED

Prince Phillip

Bat Fastard

• Admin

The Duke of Edinburgh's public engagements have produced some memorable one-liners that can make some people chuckle and some people cringe.

Prince Philip is renowned for speaking his mind - often explained as his attempt to lighten the mood - and that outspoken nature has often led to controversy with some of those remarks teetering on the edge of being offensive.

Here are some of his most famous quips.

1966: "British women can't cook".

1969: "What do you gargle with, pebbles?" To Sir Tom Jones after a Royal Variety Performance.

1981: "Everybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaining they are unemployed." During the 1981 recession.

1984: "You are a woman, aren't you?" In Kenya after accepting a small gift from a local woman.

1986: "If you stay here much longer you'll all be slitty-eyed." To a group of British students during a royal visit to China.

1988: "It looks like a tart's bedroom." On seeing plans for the Duke and Duchess of York's house at Sunninghill Park.

1992: "Oh no, I might catch some ghastly disease." In Australia when asked to stroke a koala bear.

1993: "You can't have been here that long, you haven't got a pot belly". To a Briton he met in Hungary.

1994: "Aren't most of you descended from pirates?" To a wealthy islander in the Cayman Islands.

1995: "How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to pass the test." To a Scottish driving instructor.

1996: "If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?" In response to calls to ban firearms after the Dunblane shooting.

1999: "Deaf? If you are near there, no wonder you are deaf." Speaking to a group of young deaf people in Cardiff who were standing near a steel band.

1999: "It looks as if it was put in by an Indian." Referring to an old-fashioned fuse box in a factory near Edinburgh.

2002: "Still throwing spears?" Question put to an Australian Aborigine during a visit.

2009: "There's a lot of your family in tonight." After looking at the name badge of businessman Atul Patel at a Palace reception for British Indians.

2010: "Do you have a pair of knickers made out of this?" To Scottish Conservative leader Annabel Goldie Pointing while pointing to some tartan in Edinburgh.

2012: "I would get arrested if I unzipped that dress." To 25-year-old council worker Hannah Jackson, who was wearing a dress with a zip running the length of its front, on a Jubilee visit to Bromley, Kent.

2017: "You look starved." To a pensioner on a visit to the Charterhouse almshouse for elderly men.

I may be a Royalist, but whatever you think of the monarchy, what a great man and active life he has had. He has done a lot for his adopted country and the royal family, ranging from serving in the Royal Navy during the war to various public engagements, charity patronages and his Duke of Edinburgh awards scheme for youngsters. At 96 I say fair play, good life of service.

Military historians will tell you he was tipped for top brass position in the Royal Navy when stationed in Malta, until his marriage to Elizabeth.

2 hours ago, SARJ said:

I may be a Royalist, but whatever you think of the monarchy, what a great man and active life he has had. He has done a lot for his adopted country and the royal family, ranging from serving in the Royal Navy during the war to various public engagements, charity patronages and his Duke of Edinburgh awards scheme for youngsters. At 96 I say fair play, good life of service.

Military historians will tell you he was tipped for top brass position in the Royal Navy when stationed in Malta, until his marriage to Elizabeth.

Well said, Sir !

• Admin
21 hours ago, SARJ said:

hd-honours-philip-v2.jpg?strip=all&w=750

hd-honours-titles-and-honours-v21.jpg?st
hd-honours-where-they-come-from.jpg?stri

On ‎04‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 13:28, phantom said:

The Duke of Edinburgh's public engagements have produced some memorable one-liners that can make some people chuckle and some people cringe.

Prince Philip is renowned for speaking his mind - often explained as his attempt to lighten the mood - and that outspoken nature has often led to controversy with some of those remarks teetering on the edge of being offensive.

Here are some of his most famous quips.

1966: "British women can't cook".

1969: "What do you gargle with, pebbles?" To Sir Tom Jones after a Royal Variety Performance.

1981: "Everybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaining they are unemployed." During the 1981 recession.

1984: "You are a woman, aren't you?" In Kenya after accepting a small gift from a local woman.

1986: "If you stay here much longer you'll all be slitty-eyed." To a group of British students during a royal visit to China.

1988: "It looks like a tart's bedroom." On seeing plans for the Duke and Duchess of York's house at Sunninghill Park.

1992: "Oh no, I might catch some ghastly disease." In Australia when asked to stroke a koala bear.

1993: "You can't have been here that long, you haven't got a pot belly". To a Briton he met in Hungary.

1994: "Aren't most of you descended from pirates?" To a wealthy islander in the Cayman Islands.

1995: "How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to pass the test." To a Scottish driving instructor.

1996: "If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?" In response to calls to ban firearms after the Dunblane shooting.

1999: "Deaf? If you are near there, no wonder you are deaf." Speaking to a group of young deaf people in Cardiff who were standing near a steel band.

1999: "It looks as if it was put in by an Indian." Referring to an old-fashioned fuse box in a factory near Edinburgh.

2002: "Still throwing spears?" Question put to an Australian Aborigine during a visit.

2009: "There's a lot of your family in tonight." After looking at the name badge of businessman Atul Patel at a Palace reception for British Indians.

2010: "Do you have a pair of knickers made out of this?" To Scottish Conservative leader Annabel Goldie Pointing while pointing to some tartan in Edinburgh.

2012: "I would get arrested if I unzipped that dress." To 25-year-old council worker Hannah Jackson, who was wearing a dress with a zip running the length of its front, on a Jubilee visit to Bromley, Kent.

2017: "You look starved." To a pensioner on a visit to the Charterhouse almshouse for elderly men.

I don`t know if this one is actually true or not but it sounds like it could be. Apparently he said to a blind girl with a guide dog at a walkabout in Exeter `I`ve heard you can get eating dogs for anorexics now`.

What will be extra amazing is that if the Queen and Prince Phillip are alive on November 20th this year, they'll be celebrating their SEVENTIETH (the big 70) wedding anniversary. That is huge in itself! Married for 70 years!! Most people only dream of living for 70 years despite marriage for that number of time, amazing.

I think if Prince Phillip dies first (sadly most likely to happen) Our Queen is going to be more than devastated, imagine being with a husband that you've loved for over 70yrs? I know the Queen is a VERY strong woman, but I'm not sure how she will react if Phillip dies before her. If this was 10/15yrs ago like when most people die, may have coped a little better, but the Queen is 91 now, this shock could kill her.

On an unrelated note: How are the 2 of them still alive anyway? You hear of fit people dying early, fat bastards living till their 85 etc etc, spesh with some smokers and alcoholics living till 90. So how do you do it? My grandad lived till he was 88 despite drinking every day and smoking like a chimney.

18 minutes ago, CrazyInWeston said:

What will be extra amazing is that if the Queen and Prince Phillip are alive on November 20th this year, they'll be celebrating their SEVENTIETH (the big 70) wedding anniversary. That is huge in itself! Married for 70 years!! Most people only dream of living for 70 years despite marriage for that number of time, amazing.

I think if Prince Phillip dies first (sadly most likely to happen) Our Queen is going to be more than devastated, imagine being with a husband that you've loved for over 70yrs? I know the Queen is a VERY strong woman, but I'm not sure how she will react if Phillip dies before her. If this was 10/15yrs ago like when most people die, may have coped a little better, but the Queen is 91 now, this shock could kill her.

On an unrelated note: How are the 2 of them still alive anyway? You hear of fit people dying early, fat bastards living till their 85 etc etc, spesh with some smokers and alcoholics living till 90. So how do you do it? My grandad lived till he was 88 despite drinking every day and smoking like a chimney.

Jean Calment smoked until she was 117, apparently.

Just now, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

Jean Calment smoked until she was 117, apparently.

kinda proves my point, yes smoking is hella bad for you, but some people live till beyond 90 despite having smoked, if a single fag shortens your life by 14 minutes (so they say) how much longer would they have lived if they never smoked?

but at the same time, you get perfectly healthy people eating only healthy food, training to keep fit... dying really early.

my motto is just to ******* live your life, if you die you die, you only had one shot at it anyway.

I have drank at least 8 cans of alcohol a night since I was 18, I've smoked since I was 19 - I'm 29yrs old now, I still get id'd because people still think im younger than I am... does this mean a long life for me? Probably yes or probably no... See my dad died of a heart attack and this can run in the family, my utmost fear is dying of one also - sure my lifestyle doesnt help prevent one, but I've adopted the attitude if I'm gone, I'm gone... Scared as I am over the whole thing. (no one wants to die but that is nature)

Archived