IGNORED

Anyone ever seen a ghost?

The dastardly red

About 18 years ago I was driving in to park on the pavement outside our house when I seen a woman in the narrow driveway between our house and next door neighbour's house. It was unusual to see anyone there at all, but this woman had a transparent look to her, almost like she was drained of a fair bit of her colour. She was there just a few seconds and then disappeared behind the house towards our back gardens. I thought I was just seeing things but when I got out of the car I went down the drive to check in the gardens. Nothing there and I dismissed it and didn't tell anyone as I just thought my eyes were playing tricks on me.

Two days later, my partner was on the phone to her mate and mentioned that she had felt her mother's presence strongly around the house the last two to three days. She had lost her mum to cancer when she was a young child. I literally sat bolt upright, looked at the framed photo she had of her mum and realised that she looked very much like the strange, transparent sort of vision I had seen. I instantly told my partner.

In 22 years of being together, that was the only time she ever said she had felt her mum's presence. It was also the only time I witnessed any apparitions!

I also witnessed my cat, who had died 11 days earlier, on the day City beat Bolton 6-0, do things in invisible form in my bedroom. Another of my cats, who had been three quarters asleep, witnessed it too, was then wide awake and staring exactly where the sounds made by the invisible cat had ended.

Having been a total non believer in there being any form of afterlife I am now 100% convinced that there is an afterlife. I was so sceptical that I even mainly dismissed the siting of my partner's mother as just a massive coincidence. It took my dead cat to prove beyond doubt that her spirit lived on to show me. It has brought me comfort, just as she did in life.

I was working away and staying in a hotel in Sheffield. I came out my room for breakfast and followed a guy in high viz jacket, hard hat, and dirty jeans, walking down the corridor towards the lift. Someone else had just arrived on the floor, left the lift and walked away from us towards his room. The workman I was following entered the lift and as I got to it, the doors were just closing. I ran the last couple of feet to press the button to stop the doors from closing. The doors swung open and there was nobody in there.

I took the stairs.....

I didn't say anything at the time, but a few months later I was staying there again, and was chatting to the barman and mentioned it. He said "oh him, that happens all the time, you're about the 5th person this year to have seen him..."

Really enjoy hearing genuine first person accounts like these. Never experienced anything myself, but do believe that there is something out there. Annoys me when people dismiss stuff like that, especially when you have first hand accounts like the above which cannot be explained.

I work in a school in Essex, and when I started was told about the "ghost". One of the teachers who was a keyholder (now retired), told me she was on site one night waiting for the police (or alarm company I can't remember now) to turn up. Whilst she was waiting she heard the piano in the hall playing, and says there was nobody else there. 

About a year later, I was doing a late stint in the summer painting a classroom,  and it had got to about 930-10ish, as it was starting to get dark. There was a lot of noise like someone walking around outside, and shadows moving past the windows. I checked it out and there was nobody there, even checked the cameras on site. Carried on painting, and the noises still carried on. With that I put my brush down and went to the train station early to pick the wife up!!! I have also seen "a person" stood by the front entrance as I've got into my car at the end of the day after locking up the school and putting the alarm on. As soon as i look up again it's gone.

Also had stuff happen after my grandad died a few years ago, like a pack of toilet roll going missing/being moved after shopping, and then being found in a place we had checked before. Thing is I needed the pack of loo roll as we had previously ran out and needed to go!! Grandad was a bit of a joker as well so he got the blame :P

A number of years ago I was visiting two female friends and they came rushing out of one of their rooms proclaiming that as one of them went to pull their duvet to make their bed it wouldn't shift, as though someone was sat on it.  They claimed it was a ghost.

When I went into see for myself, the duvet shifted no problem.  

Thinking about it rationally, these girls were not quirky attention seekers or practical jokers but sensible, honest, responsible people.  They seemed in genuine shock, not like a pair of jokers.  Was there a spot of psychosis at work?  Well, they're not both going to have exactly the same delusion, are they?  I could find no reason to disbelieve them.

Years later, I had an epiphany about an important life choice.  As I sat there I heard the most wonderful, almost heavenly, singing.  It was strange as it felt like it was for my ears only, like listening to music through head phones.  I concluded it was indeed singing angels, as there was no other explanation I could find.

So I'm 100% certain of a spiritual realm but I can't be arsed to argue about it.  Believe what you want!

I was previously very, very sceptical and distrusting of people making these claims.  However, I now suspect there's more experiences out there from relatively sane people who tend not to publically discuss them through fear and the controversy it entails.  I know what I heard.

Background - living out in the sticks of Old Sodbury, where an old Chapel (Chapel Lane) had been converted into housing and some of the graves/gravestones moved etc

Usual Saturday night - went out with Mum to get a take away for everyone - came back past the Chapel saw quite clearly a figure in black (I know) - walk (it was more glide/float) straight across the road and then simply disappear - I was petrified but said nowt (I was 18 not on drugs or drunk) - got home - Dad and brothers came to get the grub and said to Mum - are you ok you look ashen  - and she was shaking. I looked at her and said "you saw it too" - she literally collapsed - thought she was seeing things - it was very creepy

(there is a Part 2 which is even weirder)

2 hours ago, SARJ said:

Really enjoy hearing genuine first person accounts like these. Never experienced anything myself, but do believe that there is something out there. Annoys me when people dismiss stuff like that, especially when you have first hand accounts like the above which cannot be explained.

For me, there is much more chance that someone's mind is playing tricks on them than ghosts being true.  

I have a friend who grew up in a house in Dorset who told me that ghostly activity at her house was so commonplace when she was a child that it was laughed about in her family.  She goes back to visit her mother at the same house regularly, and says it still goes on.  People are frequently seen walking in the house, as is a cat.  This has gone on for more than 30 years, apparently.  They even have names for the supposed apparitions.

Of course, I thought she was winding me up, but she is so matter of fact about it that clearly she believes it.  She is a very sane and rational person!

57 minutes ago, Markman said:

Background - living out in the sticks of Old Sodbury, where an old Chapel (Chapel Lane) had been converted into housing and some of the graves/gravestones moved etc

Usual Saturday night - went out with Mum to get a take away for everyone - came back past the Chapel saw quite clearly a figure in black (I know) - walk (it was more glide/float) straight across the road and then simply disappear - I was petrified but said nowt (I was 18 not on drugs or drunk) - got home - Dad and brothers came to get the grub and said to Mum - are you ok you look ashen  - and she was shaking. I looked at her and said "you saw it too" - she literally collapsed - thought she was seeing things - it was very creepy

(there is a Part 2 which is even weirder)

I await part 2 :thumbsup:

Just remembered about something my mum said years ago. When she was living at home (early teens I think), the lady that lived next door to my nan's house died. 

One night (not sure how long after), my mum woke up in the middle of the night, and felt someone looking over her. She sat up in bed and she says she saw the lady that had died sat at the end of her bed. She looked at my mum, smiled, and then disappeared.

Said she wasn't scared or anything, says it defintely wasn't a dream and was not drunk.

2 hours ago, Taz said:

I await part 2 :thumbsup:

Glad you asked :mf_sleep:

So - linked to the above - my old man needed some hardcore - local builder/farmer said he had a load and brought it around - nice stuff with some massive large slabs - about 5ft by 2ft by 2ft - weighed an absolute tonne. 

Tipped the load and yes - you may have guessed it - they were old headstones. Mother goes mad - says she is not having them but my old man said they would make a great path between some sheds (we had a couple of fields) - so we manually (no moral high-ground here about using such items please) lugged these stones and dug holes and laid them face down so you could only see the back (with nowt on it) - Mother was not happy but there you go - it was a nice path!

Few years on we had moved and I was at work - chatting to a friend who had some horses in the field next door to our old house/smallholding - she said "weird going on's out at your old house"  - intrigued I asked and it seems the new owners had been having sightings/hearing knocks etc and had the local Vicar out to Bless the House/Land etc - they were really freaked out

Odd says I - can't think why that would be (I had never told the tale of the sighting we had in Chapel Lane) - and then she said - "why on earth did you use gravestones as a path"

I said - what are you talking about - we laid them face-down they looked just like large slabs of stone and she replied

"they are face up with the names of the deceased on show - they have people coming in at the weekend to take them away"

Well - we sure as hell never turned them over - I asked my mate to ask the owners (discreetly) who said they had not moved them either (it would take several men a full day or two to turn them without a digger)

The answer - no idea but a bit odd

I've always felt and seen presences since I was a kid, both human and animal.

A few acquaintances of mine did a ghost hunt up the Wills Building (top of Park St) and live streamed it. One of the fellas went into a meeting room and turned on the lights by the doorway. The room was empty apart from the usual tables and chairs. 

Suddenly an extremely loud banging noise started. It sounded like metal on metal. The projector also turned itself on yet the controls showed it should have been off. As soon as he left the camera by the door and re-entered the room without it, the noise stopped. 

Whatever it was, it just didn't want to be filmed.

Not ghosts, but weird things happen

My Dad died 25 years ago, and as much as time heals there are times when I miss him and I'd love to sit down and just talk shit over with him - I was 18 when he died, we never got to having a 'grown up' relationship

Chances are if I'm worried about something a robin will appear. Now, robins are around all the time, we all know that, but I don't see one every day, far from it. Why a robin? Dad took me to watch the City because I pestered him to **** about it, back in the days of the robin badge. It was our place, our time together. Whenever I see one I have a little smile to myself, it's like Dad is just checking in on me, making sure all is good. Dad wasn't really into music, but a song I remember vividly from my childhood was Rhinestone Cowboy, you could always guarantee it would come on the radio when he was taking me to football, cricket, rugby when I was a kid, it was odd just how many times it would come on the radio when we were together, again, just the two of us, so naturally it's on my Spotify playlist. This playlist has about 600 songs on there (I like music more than Dad did, obviously!), was driving home the other night, which just happened to be my birthday and was thinking about Dad....you can guess which song came on next. I took that as a 'happy birthday, son' gesture. Again, that song was always going to come on next at some point, but I don't remember the last time I heard it - always hit shuffle and see what happens. Someone can do the maths, but that was pretty random. Happens with another particular song on the playlist that reminds me of my two eldest daughters. They live with their Mum, so I only see them every other weekend, and whenever I can in between, but again I miss them, and I worry about them, these two songs seem to come on more than others on the play list

It's the Peter Kay sketch, where they are at the funeral and a bag of cheese and onion crisps get blown across the grave yard and someone says 'he loved cheese and onion crisps' - I get that it's just random shit happening, but it kind of puts me at ease. And makes me smile

Ghosts? I'll believe it when I see one. And I'm in no rush!

My cousin has 2 young children. Moved into a house not that long ago. She was home alone with the 2 kids.

One of them asked who the strange man was stood behind her. Obviously, no one in the house, all exits/entrances secure etc. This happened once more after this, again, the children asking why a strange man was in the house.

Cousin got the kids to describe what this man looked like and checked with the neighbours. It was a description identical to the appearance of a previous resident who since died. Suffice to say she's now moved house :laugh:.

I've had a couple strange experiences first one was when i was about 12 used to stay up with my step-dad watching the wrestling if it was a pay-per-view. When one time we were both sat on the sofa when one of my mums ornaments from up on the shelf decides to throw its self onto the living room floor and i'm not talking just straight down i'm talking to the middle of the room. Now its like 1am so there is no doors/windows open so that was very strange.

Second one was me and my partner got our first place together then about 2 weeks later she gave birth to our first child via c-section, so she has to stay in hospital for a couple days. I leaves the hospital and gets home alone at about 3am and goes into my new born's bedroom to get a bag ready to take to the hospital with me the next day it was when i was going through the draw i heard someone whisper my name. Now i had been awake for almost 30 hours at this point so i could of just been going mad with lack of sleep but my grandad who was a big part of my life passed away only 4 months prior to this.

On another note i do believe that a life is lost for a new one to begin my partner was 5 months into pregnancy for my SON when my grandad died and then was 5 months into pregnancy for my DAUGHTER when my nan died coincidence who knows but strange all the same.

2 hours ago, Woodsy said:

My Dad died 25 years ago, and as much as time heals there are times when I miss him and I'd love to sit down and just talk shit over with him - I was 18 when he died, we never got to having a 'grown up' relationship

Chances are if I'm worried about something a robin will appear. Now, robins are around all the time, we all know that, but I don't see one every day, far from it. Why a robin? Dad took me to watch the City because I pestered him to **** about it, back in the days of the robin badge. It was our place, our time together. Whenever I see one I have a little smile to myself, it's like Dad is just checking in on me, making sure all is good. Dad wasn't really into music, but a song I remember vividly from my childhood was Rhinestone Cowboy, you could always guarantee it would come on the radio when he was taking me to football, cricket, rugby when I was a kid, it was odd just how many times it would come on the radio when we were together, again, just the two of us, so naturally it's on my Spotify playlist. This playlist has about 600 songs on there (I like music more than Dad did, obviously!), was driving home the other night, which just happened to be my birthday and was thinking about Dad....you can guess which song came on next. I took that as a 'happy birthday, son' gesture. Again, that song was always going to come on next at some point, but I don't remember the last time I heard it - always hit shuffle and see what happens. Someone can do the maths, but that was pretty random. Happens with another particular song on the playlist that reminds me of my two eldest daughters. They live with their Mum, so I only see them every other weekend, and whenever I can in between, but again I miss them, and I worry about them, these two songs seem to come on more than others on the play list

It's the Peter Kay sketch, where they are at the funeral and a bag of cheese and onion crisps get blown across the grave yard and someone says 'he loved cheese and onion crisps' - I get that it's just random shit happening, but it kind of puts me at ease. And makes me smile

When my dad died 15 years ago next week, I took my mum to Quakers Friars to get the death certificate. I waited in the car park. My mum was shocked at how much she had to pay for the certificate, twenty pounds. That was all she had in her purse. As she was shocked she actually cussed my father under her breath, 'Oh, Ed,' she said disapprovingly. Then on the way out she spotted something on the floor as she opened the door. It was a twenty pound note!

10 hours ago, handsofclay said:

About 18 years ago I was driving in to park on the pavement outside our house when I seen a woman in the narrow driveway between our house and next door neighbour's house. It was unusual to see anyone there at all, but this woman had a transparent look to her, almost like she was drained of a fair bit of her colour. She was there just a few seconds and then disappeared behind the house towards our back gardens. I thought I was just seeing things but when I got out of the car I went down the drive to check in the gardens. Nothing there and I dismissed it and didn't tell anyone as I just thought my eyes were playing tricks on me.

Two days later, my partner was on the phone to her mate and mentioned that she had felt her mother's presence strongly around the house the last two to three days. She had lost her mum to cancer when she was a young child. I literally sat bolt upright, looked at the framed photo she had of her mum and realised that she looked very much like the strange, transparent sort of vision I had seen. I instantly told my partner.

In 22 years of being together, that was the only time she ever said she had felt her mum's presence. It was also the only time I witnessed any apparitions!

I also witnessed my cat, who had died 11 days earlier, on the day City beat Bolton 6-0, do things in invisible form in my bedroom. Another of my cats, who had been three quarters asleep, witnessed it too, was then wide awake and staring exactly where the sounds made by the invisible cat had ended.

Having been a total non believer in there being any form of afterlife I am now 100% convinced that there is an afterlife. I was so sceptical that I even mainly dismissed the siting of my partner's mother as just a massive coincidence. It took my dead cat to prove beyond doubt that her spirit lived on to show me. It has brought me comfort, just as she did in life.

HOC, you don't live anywhere near Richmond Road in Mangotsfield, do you (I know you like the Mangos) I lived there in the 80's and that whole rank had strange goings on, not so much ghostly apparitions as poltergeist activity ! Now I never sensed anything but my Mrs and kids did. I used to work nights and often she would be awakened by a presence BUT she refused to open her eyes, she says she just knew she would see something. 

The house on the end of the rank was in the process of being rebuilt after a fire. My eldest lad used to muck around in the site with his mates UNTIL one day they were attacked by a hail of stones and pebbles from NOWHERE !. A lot of the residents have had exorcisms (true).

The clincher for me  (though, as I say,I never saw or felt anything myself) was my two girls used to play in their bedroom and were always being told to tidy up. This day there was usual mess and the usual scolding from the Mrs. They as usual took no notice and carried on playing until one of them suddenly noticed that ALL the clothes  suddenly appeared in neat piles on their bed !! 

I hope they don't exists, the thought of dieing and then just wandering the halls of yourold house in the same clothes for no reason for eternity is not something I would look forward to..... unless it was like the film Casper... then maybe I'd be up for it.

3 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

HOC, you don't live anywhere near Richmond Road in Mangotsfield, do you (I know you like the Mangos) I lived there in the 80's and that whole rank had strange goings on, not so much ghostly apparitions as poltergeist activity ! Now I never sensed anything but my Mrs and kids did. I used to work nights and often she would be awakened by a presence BUT she refused to open her eyes, she says she just knew she would see something. 

The house on the end of the rank was in the process of being rebuilt after a fire. My eldest lad used to muck around in the site with his mates UNTIL one day they were attacked by a hail of stones and pebbles from NOWHERE !. A lot of the residents have had exorcisms (true).

The clincher for me  (though, as I say,I never saw or felt anything myself) was my two girls used to play in their bedroom and were always being told to tidy up. This day there was usual mess and the usual scolding from the Mrs. They as usual took no notice and carried on playing until one of them suddenly noticed that ALL the clothes  suddenly appeared in neat piles on their bed !! 

You are right about me watching the Mangos but I used to live in Kingswood, off Burchills Green Road. I can well believe what you have written. When my dead cat visited me she brushed against a cat litter bag which physically moved and then entered the cat litter tray and the wooden cat litter pellets moved before my eyes. If a dead cat can do all that then dead humans I'm sure can throw stones and tidy clothes in a bedroom!

4 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

You are right about me watching the Mangos but I used to live in Kingswood, off Burchills Green Road. I can well believe what you have written. When my dead cat visited me she brushed against a cat litter bag which physically moved and then entered the cat litter tray and the wooden cat litter pellets moved before my eyes. If a dead cat can do all that then dead humans I'm sure can throw stones and tidy clothes in a bedroom!

Further to that, when we moved out a single (divorcee) mum and her two unruly kids moved in. Apparently (according to my erstwhile neighbor) ) they used to make quite a racket. A couple of months later the mother turned up at our doorstep complaining that we never told her the house was haunted ! Obviously the incumbent spirit(s) didn't appreciate being disturbed!

The upshot was she got a medium round who told her there were three "ghosts" in the house, two benign old women BUT an evil "old man" and they were there to protect the family! I know it sounds very Ghost Hunters, but that's the story !

20 hours ago, Woodsy said:

nice stuff Woodsy, good man.

We had a similar thread to this one a while back and posted then about the time I was working on night duty in a large psychiatric hospital in the midlands.

I was posted to an isolated annexe, a "long stay" ward that night which meant I was working alone on an easy shift little to do apart from the night med round. All the patients slept all night so I retreated to the tv room to watch whatever was on.

After about an hour the phone rang so left the tv on and walked down to the office. Can't remember what the call was but when returned to the tv lounge the tv screen was fuzzy and hissing and I immediately realise the aerial had come out.

That was spooky enough but when I looked behind the tv to replace the aerial it had been moved at least a foot.even more spooky............:shocking:

Later that night the phone rang again so I put down my book and walked down the corridor again but this time as I turned right towards the office I felt a sudden blast of cold air coming from above my head......:shocking: I froze and for a couple of seconds was unable to move.

Eventually I got to the phone just as it stopped. 

I related these experiences to one of the senior guys who had worked there since the late 50s and he told me that the annexe had been built over an old fish stock pond and that at least two patients has drowned themselves........and that he'd heard other staff having similar ghostly experiences.

26 minutes ago, Robbored said:

We had a similar thread to this one a while back and posted then about the time I was working on night duty in a large psychiatric hospital in the midlands.

I was posted to an isolated annexe, a "long stay" ward that night which meant I was working alone on an easy shift little to do apart from the night med round. All the patients slept all night so I retreated to the tv room to watch whatever was on.

After about an hour the phone rang so left the tv on and walked down to the office. Can't remember what the call was but when returned to the tv lounge the tv screen was fuzzy and hissing and I immediately realise the aerial had come out.

That was spooky enough but when I looked behind the tv to replace the aerial it had been moved at least a foot.even more spooky............:shocking:

Later that night the phone rang again so I put down my book and walked down the corridor again but this time as I turned right towards the office I felt a sudden blast of cold air coming from above my head......:shocking: I froze and for a couple of seconds was unable to move.

Eventually I got to the phone just as it stopped. 

I related these experiences to one of the senior guys who had worked there since the late 50s and he told me that the annexe had been built over an old fish stock pond and that at least two patients has drowned themselves........and that he'd heard other staff having similar ghostly experiences.

It was the ghost of GJ Yet To Come. :whistle:;)

My middle name is Wilfred :mellow:,

My Mum told me why this was. When she was heavily pregnant with me there was a knock at the door.  When she answered it there was nobody there.  My sister (aged 2 at the time) told her that it was Uncle Wilf (Mum's Uncle Wilf was long dead) at the door. 

Coincidentally with handsofclay my Kingswood dad died 15 years ago next week. On the lines of what cityboy99 said, 3 months after my Dad passed away MrsBibs became pregnant with our now City mad daughter.  We'd been together 10 years and had given up on parenthood as wife's medical condition suggested it wasn't going to happen

Archived