IGNORED

City Already Received Calls From Other Top Clubs

cityfan

Johnson said "about their young players" http://bit.ly/2pHFJmP

I thought this was a really interesting development.  Premier league squads are big and they can't all play, certainly the youngsters like Tammy.  Likely to be on good money already, they get farmed out for experience.  The thing is if they do well like Tammy then the Premier club is increasing their asset value (the player) whilst not having to entertain him at home.

So when Johnson say's he has already received calls from other top clubs I suspect they are looking at what has happened this season and thinking that Bristol City is a club that can build and add asset value for them, as well as experience.  Either way, the players returns, potentially ready for the bench of the first team or they get sold at a considerable profit.  In this scenario, such players are now "tradeables".  They're no doubt in the balance sheet, but will quickly move to the P and L after one year. The financial explosion in the game has delivered this opportunity which will no doubt get much bigger over time.

Johnson could be in the advantageous position in the season 2017/2018 of having a very broad and strong choice of loanee's from Premier clubs who want to replicate the Tammy result for their own players.  City might even become the preferred club of choice. As such, City could be a very strong proposition next year. 

Funny how money changes everything!!!!!

I know football is a results business. But look beyond that for a second, and is this the first season in ages that it feels like some players have genuinely improved? 

Tammy is a better player. Brownhill, Paterson, Pack arguably.

Is it just players returning to form? Or good coaching? 

9 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

I know football is a results business. But look beyond that for a second, and is this the first season in ages that it feels like some players have genuinely improved? 

Tammy is a better player. Brownhill, Paterson, Pack arguably.

Is it just players returning to form? Or good coaching? 

I think a combination. Brownhill was always a raw talent who would get better. I really rate the guy.

With Pack, it's funny to think that he was not even a first team player for the first half of our League One promotion campaign and then struggled at the start of last season. I think he might have improved under Pemberton but he is unquestionably a better player than he was when LJ came in. Certainly we seem to have come on from the period when potentially talented players like Skuse, Elliott and Fontaine seemed to just stagnate with us...

7 minutes ago, hodge said:

O'Dowda looks better than the start of the season imo as well. 

Does he? I don't see any improvement in him at all so far this season, thought he looked his best vs Wigan first game but since hes not done anything of note. 1 Assist I believe.

Hoping he kicks on a lot more next year.

Just now, Carey 6 said:

Does he? I don't see any improvement in him at all so far this season, thought he looked his best vs Wigan first game but since hes not done anything of note. 1 Assist I believe.

Just think his movement and decision making looks better. The later games I saw in the season as well he was up and down the pitch more as well. Could easily just have been he didn't do those things in the earlier game. 

Thing is do we really want to be stereotyped as a 'nursery' for Chelsea, Man U etc...?

Whilst I'm glad that the big clubs want to send their lads here for development, we also need to concentrate on making our own mark with up and coming lads such as McCoulsky.

I hope the academy lads don't get overlooked because of the next superkid...

Just now, Septic Peg said:

Thing is do we really want to be stereotyped as a 'nursery' for Chelsea, Man U etc...?

Whilst I'm glad that the big clubs want to send their lads here for development, we also need to concentrate on making our own mark with up and coming lads such as McCoulsky.

Well as long as we're only taking 1 or 2 a season and we make sure they are actually players who improve us I don't see the harm, the key part of that is making sure they're the right player. 

Just now, Septic Peg said:

Until we are producing the next superkids of our own I absolutely do hope our academy kids are overlooked in favour of players like Tammy Abraham! 

Yes we want to produce our own players, but not just for the sake of saying we produced our own players!

4 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

He looked a completely different player against Huddersfield, he looked stronger and more direct. He looked like a man instead of a promising kid.

4 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

I hope they don't get overlooked, but also hope they will have benefitted from training and playing alongside someone of Tammy's undoubted ability.

9 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Vs Huddersfield and when he has come on as sub lately looks stronger on the ball and more direct. Lets not forget the jump from L2 to Championship is big and it may take time for him to get used to playing against better players.

15 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

I've said this before but I think O'Dowda is a player who drifts in and out of games and is inconsistent but that's often the case with a young winger. Bolasie was the same age or slightly older with us and did very little to suggest he'd be a future multi-million pound Premier League star. O'Dowda has got a lot of areas of his game where he needs to improve but I think there's every chance that, it all clicks together for him, it will really, really click together for him. You can never tell how potential will develop but I reckon he could become crucial to us in a year or two. 

6 minutes ago, BA14 RED said:

Vs Huddersfield and when he has come on as sub lately looks stronger on the ball and more direct. Lets not forget the jump from L2 to Championship is big and it may take time for him to get used to playing against better players.

Yeah mate, not writing him off, just think he's disappointed a little this season but hope he really does kick on next year.

9 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

I think Tammys comments about how good of a coach and a man he is says it all.

What does Tammy know - OTIB knows best?!

:)

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

all we need is to bring some one in who can coach full backs

Jamie Mc might know about about that position.

56 minutes ago, cityfan said:

Johnson said "about their young players" http://bit.ly/2pHFJmP

I thought this was a really interesting development.  Premier league squads are big and they can't all play, certainly the youngsters like Tammy.  Likely to be on good money already, they get farmed out for experience.  The thing is if they do well like Tammy then the Premier club is increasing their asset value (the player) whilst not having to entertain him at home.

So when Johnson say's he has already received calls from other top clubs I suspect they are looking at what has happened this season and thinking that Bristol City is a club that can build and add asset value for them, as well as experience.  Either way, the players returns, potentially ready for the bench of the first team or they get sold at a considerable profit.  In this scenario, such players are now "tradeables".  They're no doubt in the balance sheet, but will quickly move to the P and L after one year. The financial explosion in the game has delivered this opportunity which will no doubt get much bigger over time.

Johnson could be in the advantageous position in the season 2017/2018 of having a very broad and strong choice of loanee's from Premier clubs who want to replicate the Tammy result for their own players.  City might even become the preferred club of choice. As such, City could be a very strong proposition next year. 

Funny how money changes everything!!!!!

i thought love changes everything..........

Interesting stuff. So if we take into account that Brownhill has developed, possibly ODowda, maybe Pack etc. What on earth happened to ODonnell, Tomlin, ONeil, Magnusson, Lucic, Coterill, Golbourne, etc. etc etc 

Maybe we will get another Premier League diamond, I bloody hope so, but for every developing talent this season we have at least one other that is going backwards. Even LJ is saying he is looking to off load some.

LJs recent results have been underpinned by having a settled squad. It took him nearly a season and near relegation before he realized the obvious. 

I want the bloke to succeed as much, (possibly more than some) as the next girl, but when analyzing what maybe some partial success what cost, not just financial, has that come at?

I can't wait for this bloody season to be over, but by EO May I will want the new one to be here double quick. :laugh:!

I wish the bloke every success as it's clear he will be at least starting the season, but I have my doubts that he will ever get again the type of backing he has!

18 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Interesting stuff. So if we take into account that Brownhill has developed, possibly ODowda, maybe Pack etc. What on earth happened to ODonnell, Tomlin, ONeil, Magnusson, Lucic, Coterill, Golbourne, etc. etc etc 

Maybe we will get another Premier League diamond, I bloody hope so, but for every developing talent this season we have at least one other that is going backwards. Even LJ is saying he is looking to off load some.

LJs recent results have been underpinned by having a settled squad. It took him nearly a season and near relegation before he realized the obvious. 

I want the bloke to succeed as much, (possibly more than some) as the next girl, but when analyzing what maybe some partial success what cost, not just financial, has that come at?

I can't wait for this bloody season to be over, but by EO May I will want the new one to be here double quick. :laugh:!

I wish the bloke every success as it's clear he will be at least starting the season, but I have my doubts that he will ever get again the type of backing he has!

Isn't that how it works when you try to find players with potential though? Some will thrive and benefit, some will not respond or develop in the way that was hoped. It has happened time and time again, not just at this club, but every other club in the world. Of the 7 you have mentioned, 5 are experienced pro's, ones that the coaching staff would have hoped would brought some experience and knowhow into the squad. Lukic and Hordur, may yet have a future here, players develop at different rates and have different challenges to overcome.  

26 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

O'Donnell had a great few  months but was second-choice at Wigan when we signed him. I don't imagine he was that expensive and he did a stopgap job. I think he remained the player he always was.

Tomlin was a high-risk signing of a player who had difficulties settling at other clubs but had a successful loan spell with us. It was probably a mistake.

O'Neill started brilliantly but was probably too high wages at too late in his career. Plus he's had his share of injuries. That was probably a mistake,

Magnusson is young - I don't think he has done badly at all when he has played and can imagine him forcing his way in next season. Jury is very much out.

Lucic was openly signed as a gamble to see how he developed. He is very young for a keeper, has done okay on the occasions he has playhed and has been on loan. Juryh again is very much out.

Cotterill was a stopgap loan and I'd say has broadly done what we expected him to do.

Golbourne is an example of the perils of signing a new player just before you appoint a new manager. 

There have been mistakes (most notably Tomin and O'Neill as well as Engvall) but I don't think it's a disastrous transfer record and I think a lot of the signings we made last year (O'Dowda, Magnusson, Lucic, Moore, to an extent Brownhill) are players who more for the next two or three years than immediately. They might ultimately not work out but it is far too early to say...

6 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I'd it gets us more players in like Tammy as a result then I'm fine with it!

Let's be honest here Tammy is a rare gem , the vast majority of Prem youngsters loaned out are no better than what we have already.

I give you Adam Matthews, Danny Rose when here was distinctly average , Ryan McGivern ...

If we can unearth another gem why not but I don't want our squad bloated with Prem players with attitude problems who block our own players progress. 

Archived