IGNORED

City Already Received Calls From Other Top Clubs

cityfan

29 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Isn't that how it works when you try to find players with potential though? Some will thrive and benefit, some will not respond or develop in the way that was hoped. It has happened time and time again, not just at this club, but every other club in the world. Of the 7 you have mentioned, 5 are experienced pro's, ones that the coaching staff would have hoped would brought some experience and knowhow into the squad. Lukic and Hordur, may yet have a future here, players develop at different rates and have different challenges to overcome.  

Up to a point I agree, of course. What bothers me is the failure by and large of experienced pros to make enough of an on field impact, our record, recent starting 11 and bench in particular speak for themselves in that respect. Couple that the players mentioned above plus Engval, and the Jan transfer window buys none of whom really contributed on the pitch means I can't help but feel there are some deep issues to be gotten over.

6 of SCs team plus 1 loaner and with the addition of Brownhill Patterson Taylor and Wright got us home. 

15 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

O'Donnell had a great few  months but was second-choice at Wigan when we signed him. I don't imagine he was that expensive and he did a stopgap job. I think he remained the player he always was.

Tomlin was a high-risk signing of a player who had difficulties settling at other clubs but had a successful loan spell with us. It was probably a mistake.

O'Neill started brilliantly but was probably too high wages at too late in his career. Plus he's had his share of injuries. That was probably a mistake,

Magnusson is young - I don't think he has done badly at all when he has played and can imagine him forcing his way in next season. Jury is very much out.

Lucic was openly signed as a gamble to see how he developed. He is very young for a keeper, has done okay on the occasions he has playhed and has been on loan. Juryh again is very much out.

Cotterill was a stopgap loan and I'd say has broadly done what we expected him to do.

Golbourne is an example of the perils of signing a new player just before you appoint a new manager. 

There have been mistakes (most notably Tomin and O'Neill as well as Engvall) but I don't think it's a disastrous transfer record and I think a lot of the signings we made last year (O'Dowda, Magnusson, Lucic, Moore, to an extent Brownhill) are players who more for the next two or three years than immediately. They might ultimately not work out but it is far too early to say...

4 M Tomlin, 2M Engval etc and as you say various stop gaps to underpin the players. The problem is that the stop gaps in some cases have been bought to underpin the senior pros we had bought earlier, but eventually we went successfully with an inexperienced side that really wanted it. Wright was bought to underpin our back four moving Magnusson to the bench and if I recall maybe even the stand on occasion.

Im good with competition and development. Mistakes will be made along the way, as long as we as a club learn from them and SL continues to fund them then we are ok. The comings and goings this summer will be "fun" as LJ has already said his squad is to big but is planning on another four probably early in the window. Let the roller coaster continue, but perhaps a bit more up than down next season

CTID

4 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Let's be honest here Tammy is a rare gem , the vast majority of Prem youngsters loaned out are no better than what we have already.

I give you Adam Matthews, Danny Rose when here was distinctly average , Ryan McGivern ...

If we can unearth another gem why not but I don't want our squad bloated with Prem players with attitude problems who block our own players progress. 

A fair point, but Tammy's success here can only be a good thing. Hopefully we may get offered others who their parent clubs think aren't quite there yet but soon could be. 

4 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

If we can unearth another gem why not but I don't want our squad bloated with Prem players with attitude problems who block our own players progress. 

If we get more youngsters they will hopefully come with a good attitude like Tammy as that would be in their own interest in trying to impress their parent club than if they come here and demonstrate attitude problems.

7 hours ago, Robin101 said:

I know football is a results business. But look beyond that for a second, and is this the first season in ages that it feels like some players have genuinely improved? 

Tammy is a better player. Brownhill, Paterson, Pack arguably.

Is it just players returning to form? Or good coaching? 

I think there has been a change as you say mate. If so it's very positive. I would argue that in the past BCFC has de-skilled players that have come to us

9 minutes ago, Cider_boy said:

If we get more youngsters they will hopefully come with a good attitude like Tammy as that would be in their own interest in trying to impress their parent club than if they come here and demonstrate attitude problems.

This is very true. By contrast to Tammy,  I remember Danny Rose on loan to us from Spurs trotting about away at Reading totally uninterested in BCFC.

2 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Hang on a minute.

I'm sure I read on this very forum that Pembo was the coaching genius and LJ was rubbish.

What?

FACT!

1 hour ago, southvillekiddy said:

This is very true. By contrast to Tammy,  I remember Danny Rose on loan to us from Spurs trotting about away at Reading totally uninterested in BCFC.

I'm stll angry with Danny Rose. I don't care how great he is now, leaves a sour taste in the mouth watching him play for the national team.

5 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I'm stll angry with Danny Rose. I don't care how great he is now, leaves a sour taste in the mouth watching him play for the national team.

Remember who his manager was and the fact we were told to play him in midfield when we could all see he could not play their!

7 hours ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

Bound to be 'forced' comments mind ;)

Oh yes certainly. Because over the course of the season, having been coached by LJ it's very clear Tammy has gone backwards in his development ;) he will leave Bristol City a worser player than when he signed and it's all LJs fault!! :ranting:

7 hours ago, swanker said:

Can't see it myself. Over the years of supporting city I've seen some good winger, O'Dowda ain't one of them.  

I said better than the start of the season, didn't say he's been one of best wingers in the last x years or anything 

Just now, hodge said:

I said better than the start of the season, didn't say he's been one of best wingers in the last x years or anything 

Pretty average throughout and bit of a disappointment as far as I'm concerned. Haven't seen to many fullbacks have a difficult game against him. No better than Wes Burns. 

8 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Yes indeed. We had both him and Caulker and there was no way by looking at them then I would have predicted how their careers would pan out. Rose was here on a season long loan apparantly but stated in an interview he was only here until January, only for the club to again state it was until the end of the season. Didn't he then get 'injured' around January and have to go back not long after,what a coincidence? 

For every 'Tammy' out there there must be 50 'Roses' and 'Caulkers' in between, players who have 'got it', players who have 'got it but don't give it' and players who 'give it then fade'.

Obviously I'm happy to have the 'Tammys' but don't want to be somebody else's testing ground at the expense of our own players development.

12 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Hang on a minute.

I'm sure I read on this very forum that Pembo was the coaching genius and LJ was rubbish.

What?

We'll never know the truth of that. Pembo was here at the start of the season when we were doing OK. 

Archived