IGNORED

Too Lightweight

Rich

I'm peed off again after seeing our team beaten up and out fought by bigger stronger players. If there's one thing that's very evident about the championship, it's the size, strength and speed of the players. We just seem to have too many lightweight tippy tappy ballet dancing type players that bounce off the opposition. I'm not saying they're not decent players but, it was very evident today and in many matches throughout the season of our team being bullied and shoved off the ball by stronger opposition players. Oh for someone like Che Adams, strong fast, kept the ball and when he shot, it was powerful and on target. I fail to see past Flint, Bailey Wright, Little and pack who hold their own physically. A bit of guile wouldn't go amiss either, they are so naive.

How do we improve it?

Answer = Invest in proper players, as well as development players. If the development players are any good, they'll be off as soon as they show their potential, it'll then be an ever recurring circle. Effectively and eventually, our benefactor is going to have to release funds for a couple of top class, strong as you like players in the Che Adams mould, if we're going to challenge at the top of this division.

As you might gather, I'm cheesed off at having to finish the season having witnessed that inept performance, and spend the summer pi$$ed right off, until the transfers start happening. I'll calm down eventually. Rant over.

I thought we just weren't at the races, and not clever enough.  Also we've been a counterattacking team in recent weeks and Birmingham played us at our own game today.  Having said that, I suspect if we had needed a point today we would have played better; the fact is that Birmingham wanted it (and needed it) more than we did.

Look at other results over the weekend: Blackburn, Forest and Birmingham all won; Newport and Hartlepool both won; Swansea won.  Only Hull didn't, and they should have done given how many chances they created.

Can't really blame our players for giving less than Birmingham today.

4 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I thought we just weren't at the races, and not clever enough.  Also we've been a counterattacking team in recent weeks and Birmingham played us at our own game today.  Having said that, I suspect if we had needed a point to day we would have played better; the fact is that Birmingham wanted it (and needed it) more than we did today.

Look at other results over the weekend: Blackburn, Forest and Birmingham all won; Newport and Hartlepool both won; Swansea won.  Only Hull didn't, and they should have done given his many chances they had.

Wow, I cannot believe that statement at all, the key word is professional something that at far too many times has sadly been missing from much of the clubs approach this season, it might have been a boost for such a big crowd to believe today was the dawning of a new approach ready for next season.

PS:-I reckon that there were probably up to 4 players playing for their BCFC careers today.

36 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I thought we just weren't at the races, and not clever enough.  Also we've been a counterattacking team in recent weeks and Birmingham played us at our own game today.  Having said that, I suspect if we had needed a point today we would have played better; the fact is that Birmingham wanted it (and needed it) more than we did.

Look at other results over the weekend: Blackburn, Forest and Birmingham all won; Newport and Hartlepool both won; Swansea won.  Only Hull didn't, and they should have done given how many chances they created.

Really ?

Dear oh dear

Just now, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I thought we just weren't at the races, and not clever enough.  Also we've been a counterattacking team in recent weeks and Birmingham played us at our own game today.  Having said that, I suspect if we had needed a point to day we would have played better; the fact is that Birmingham wanted it (and needed it) more than we did today.

Look at other results over the weekend: Blackburn, Forest and Birmingham all won; Newport and Hartlepool both won; Swansea won.  Only Hull didn't, and they should have done given his many chances they had.

Don't think I claimed they gave less today. If you have stronger bigger players and the game is physical, the stronger players will win. We don't have enough of that type of player in our squad. Brownhill, Patterson, Korey, JB, Taylor, they all try but, just not strong enough for the physical battles.

13 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Definitely bullied all over pitch today and lost count of how many pulled out of challenges or made a feeble / token effort

Classic end of season game. Players already thinking of their holidays and not prepared to go in hard on a tackle at the risk of injuring themselves just before their holiday to Marbella.

Always had a feeling we wouldn't show up today.

2 minutes ago, Torbay_Red said:

Classic end of season game. Players already thinking of their holidays and not prepared to go in hard on a tackle at the risk of injuring themselves just before their holiday to Marbella.

Cancel their Holiday's i say :whistle:

Brought two heavyweights on in Duric and Tomlin - but the ref gave a free kick every time Duric jumped and Tomlin was incredibly disappointing for me - this game was possibly crying out for a moment of genius from a City player and I've been told all year Tomlin is the guy who can potentially provide that. This was his chance for me - instead he continues to try and beat too many men and added nothing over and above what we had on the pitch before he came on.

Not singling him out cus they all had a nightmare in my opinion but they are not all earning his level of wages. Felt we let Blackburn down today after their cracking result at Brentford, really miserable performance to end this season with, should have given the Wurzels the kit and boots and let them have a go. - still, onwards and upwards and roll on the summer transfer gossip :)

quite simple too fix this

each contract has this written in it

each position in the league ( division) (insert name here)

is how much you get paid higher you go the more you get paid

not the we will pay you to deliver f all

Can be a problem with young playera as they havent fully developed physically.  Perhaps a bit more weight training needed.

Im not sure they all have stamina either, get them to do some distance running in pre season training.

Get paid whether they win or lose.  Need to ensure contracts give more incentive to win.

I hate to say it, but everyone else bullies and pulls and tugs and commits professional fouls, so we need to do this to compete.

Also, no days off after a defeat and extra training.  Boot camp for a week.

11 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Wish someone had told me this before I went yesterday, because I do blame them for wasting my time and money. 

With the biggest crowd in 40 odd years, there must've been a few new fans to potentially convert. Can't see many of them itching to return after that totally inept performance. 

10 hours ago, Berts city said:

Yep we have a massive problem in CM, we are very slow in moving the ball, it's like we need at least 4 touches before moving the ball and then we don't have any width, pretty crap today, totally sums up our season. 

Nail on the head.

Smith and Pack aren't good enough, wouldn't be sorry for either of them to go. Bring in a midfield general who can break up play, and sit in front of the defence. While getting another CM in who can actually run forward with the ball, and create chances.

11 hours ago, Torbay_Red said:

Make that Vegas, and very, very soon. 

24 minutes ago, Red_Wizard said:

Nail on the head.

Smith and Pack aren't good enough, wouldn't be sorry for either of them to go. Bring in a midfield general who can break up play, and sit in front of the defence. While getting another CM in who can actually run forward with the ball, and create chances.

You say they aren't good enough, yet both of the are the 'midfield general that break up play and sit infront of the defence'. I've said it before, but Pack is the most underrated player we've had in years. The age old 'be careful what you wish for' is too true of those who say he isn't good enough and sell him. He's just turned 26 and has played over 300 games, and has also been ever present in City teams under 3 managers. I think that says everything.

11 hours ago, Bullbag said:

Laughable.

So much so, it's enough to not take anything you say seriously.

Really?  Can you honestly expect a club with nothing to play for to give just as much as a team playing for their lives?  I'm not saying that we didn't care, but come on, everyone would want a team 'with nothing to play for' in a match like that.

That we did care is proved by the fact that Giefer went up for the late corner, but even if it's the difference between 95% and 100%, I think it would be naive to suggest there is no difference in motivation in a match like this.

12 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Definitely bullied all over pitch today and lost count of how many pulled out of challenges or made a feeble / token effort

We weren't bullied at Brighton, despite their best efforts. That day we won the battles and the war.

Maybe it is down to motivation and desire to put their bodies on the line for the cause, no one wants to spend their summer holidays getting over an injury or risk missing out on a lucrative transfer I spose.

I don't like it but that's human nature and in this division, as I commented on here yesterday, you need to win the physical battles to have the right to dictate the play.

12 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Wow, I cannot believe that statement at all, the key word is professional something that at far too many times has sadly been missing from much of the clubs approach this season, it might have been a boost for such a big crowd to believe today was the dawning of a new approach ready for next season.

PS:-I reckon that there were probably up to 4 players playing for their BCFC careers today.

Then it's :sub:ta ta boys , nice knowing you , good luck with your future careers.

6 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

We weren't bullied at Brighton, despite their best efforts. That day we won the battles and the war.

Maybe it is down to motivation and desire to put their bodies on the line for the cause, no one wants to spend their summer holidays getting over an injury or risk missing out on a lucrative transfer I spose.

I don't like it but that's human nature and in this division, as I commented on here yesterday, you need to win the physical battles to have the right to dictate the play.

Very sensible reply Major. Nail on head as they say.

Its just a tad disappointing that so many posters on here can't see it but then slagging off  SL, LJ and the players seems to be in vogue right now.............:disapointed2se:

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Very sensible reply Major. Nail on head as they say.

Its just a tad disappointing that so many posters on here can't see it but then slagging off  SL, LJ and the players seems to be in vogue right now.............:disapointed2se:

I'm sorry but that has what has defined our season totally, great performances followed by inept/gutless performances, Huddersfield at home followed by Preston away or Brighton away followed by Birmingham at home being the latest in a long line of examples.

Huddersfield and Brighton should be the benchmark and anything less should be classed as unacceptable.

The highlighted sentence in the major's post maybe true but it should never be acceptable, I say again the most important word is 'professional', imagine if every profession adopted that attitude because the summer holidays are close? and of course then there is respect for their fellow professionals at Blackburn, who despite their woeful owners were actually scrapping for their championship lives, if we can live with the intimidation of the 2nd best team in our league then we should be able to perform to the same level against the likes of Birmingham.

Bottom line for me is I don't believe that LJ can produce a consistently performing team (but I desperately hope that I am wrong) so making excuses and boy we have had a shedload of excuses this season does not help in that regard IMO, because it becomes habit forming.

13 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

At the same time, if you have a ******** of a ref who allows anyone in a blue shirt to indulge in all-in wrestling, then you are at a disadvantage from the start.

I don't think Djuric or Flint go down particularly easily, but both were manhandled off the ball and pushed to the ground on several occasions yesterday.

On another day, Birmingham could have finished the match with 9 men.

Just now, Red-Robbo said:

At the same time, if you have a ******** of a ref who allows anyone in a blue shirt to indulge in all-in wrestling, then you are at a disadvantage from the start.

I don't think Djuric or Flint go down particularly easily, but both were manhandled off the ball and pushed to the ground on several occasions yesterday.

On another day, Birmingham could have finished the match with 9 men.

You are correct but once you realise that the referee is not going to afford you any protection you protect yourself.

And not forgetting from the referees perspective BCFC already safe lose only BCFC fans, Blackburn fans and hopefully BCFC players and management care for a few hours, Birmingham get relegated the ref is stigmatised forever, it's not an excuse but neither is they were better bullies than us, summer hols booked or lucrative transfer etc, etc, etc.

6 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

You are correct but once you realise that the referee is not going to afford you any protection you protect yourself.

And not forgetting from the referees perspective BCFC already safe lose only BCFC fans, Blackburn fans and hopefully BCFC players and management care for a few hours, Birmingham get relegated the ref is stigmatised forever, it's not an excuse but neither is they were better bullies than us, summer hols booked or lucrative transfer etc, etc, etc.

Other than punching out the miscreants, I'm not sure what our players could do?

The ref's attitude to us and them was perfectly illustrated at throw-ins. On more than one occasion they encroached a good 25ft up the field of play. when the ball went out for us, he was over pointing to the individual blade of grass he wanted the throw to be taken from. :ranting:

Just now, Red-Robbo said:

Other than punching out the miscreants, I'm not sure what our players could do?

The ref's attitude to us and them was perfectly illustrated at throw-ins. On more than one occasion they encroached a good 25ft up the field of play. when the ball went out for us, he was over pointing to the individual blade of grass he wanted the throw to be taken from. :ranting:

I understand, I mentioned earlier in the week that I used to coach with an ex pro son of an ex pro, I remember one game in particular when our incredibly gifted but whinging striker shouted twice "ref, ref he's pushing me", to what the reply was "shut the **** up and push him back you wimp".

it's simple if you lose the battles you lose the war and we did far too many times this season.

13 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Can be a problem with young playera as they havent fully developed physically.  Perhaps a bit more weight training needed.

Im not sure they all have stamina either, get them to do some distance running in pre season training.

Get paid whether they win or lose.  Need to ensure contracts give more incentive to win.

I hate to say it, but everyone else bullies and pulls and tugs and commits professional fouls, so we need to do this to compete.

Also, no days off after a defeat and extra training.  Boot camp for a week.

they would have thrown you out of the gestapo for being too cruel!

I cant believe the bile thats been spouted here over the last 24 hours. So we took our foot off the gas for a meaningless fixture and were outfought by opponents who desperately needed a win... Its disappointing sure but its hardly the end of the world or worthy of some of the ridiculous reactions I've read.. This sort of thing happens all the time. Brentford, Ipswich and Barnsley are other examples of teams well beaten by opponents who simply needed a result more than they did.

I prefer to focus on how well we did in the games previous to yesterday, when the pressure was really on us.

Archived