IGNORED

Joe Bryan on the move

ollywhyte

18 minutes ago, RedM said:

I'm sure there is a better player within Joe, but we don't seem him too often in the Championship. He used to have a hell of a jump on him, now it appears half hearted. Could be a confidence thing as others suggest.

One of his best mates, Jamal Ford-Robinson, has just left Bristol to join Northampton. Joe often went to matches to watch him, and Jamal came to our games, I've seen him at away games too. Think this must be quite unsettling for him personally.

I think, conversely, seeing Jamal (& Mitch) go to Saints - and maybe even seeing Jamal get selected for the England training camp - might remind him that his talent could take him far. He must already be easily be out-earning Jamal (another Bristol born player) without ever really knocking his pipe out on a regular basis. If there is one thing Jamal is, then it's 110%. Joe could go far, but he has to want to; and I'm not convinced he does. 

35 minutes ago, RedM said:

I'm sure there is a better player within Joe, but we don't seem him too often in the Championship. He used to have a hell of a jump on him, now it appears half hearted. Could be a confidence thing as others suggest.

One of his best mates, Jamal Ford-Robinson, has just left Bristol to join Northampton. Joe often went to matches to watch him, and Jamal came to our games, I've seen him at away games too. Think this must be quite unsettling for him personally.

yeh seen him under dolman in bar loads towards end of season

The insistence that JB is a LB is baffling, surely he came to prominence as CM and/or LWB....maybe LB will never be his natural position and a move away would do him good if someone plays him in his proper position where the best can be brought out.

But a LB he isn't.

44 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

The insistence that JB is a LB is baffling, surely he came to prominence as CM and/or LWB....maybe LB will never be his natural position and a move away would do him good if someone plays him in his proper position where the best can be brought out.

But a LB he isn't.

Absolutely right.

It could well be that the interested clubs have no intention of playing him at LB.

They perhaps see him as a very good all round young footballer who could enhance their team in a different position..

I'd agree with them - and you BR -  JB's not a left back however much LJ insists he is.

He's looked apalling in any kind of offensive capacity, final ball is dreadful and decision making really poor. But he's not a defender either. 

Victim of his own versatility and paying the price for having never really nailed down a natural position? 

4 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

He certainly should focus on being a left back. When he has played as a winger I have never seen him beat his man any other way than kick it towards the byline and cross. Very one dimensional with his upright running means that he suits full back more than left wing. Personally I'd like to see him stay but 2.5 million is quite the dangling carrot

Focus on being a left back ? tell LJ that. Also 2.5 mill isn't much theses days. And I do agree he's no winger and that Brum performance was awful.

Joe Bryan is a mediocre player at this level. Very inconsistant. Certainly not destined to be a 'top premiership left back'. If we've got a better prospect in the pipeline, then I've no problem with him going. But I will dispair if we end up weaker like we did following the departures of GC and LA.

2 hours ago, LC_ said:

Nothing against joe but if someone wants to give us 2.5m for him, we can certainly upgrade to a much more solid LB for similar money.

I would bet that we could not. Any replacement capable of taking us toward the top of Championship will cost a lot more. 

2 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

:facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  You haven't noticed his lack of football/tactical brain then ? He constantly lets his man run off him and has resulted in numerous goals we've conceded this season either directly or indirectly. If someone came in with £2.5m i'd snatch their hand off. 

Can you tell me what a football/tactical brain is?

1 minute ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Joe Bryan is a mediocre player at this level. Very inconsistant. Certainly not destined to be a 'top premiership left back'. If we've got a better prospect in the pipeline, then I've no problem with him going. But I will dispair if we end up weaker like we did following the departures of GC and LA.

Inconsistent, yes.  Mediocre, certainly not.  At times he is brilliant, but at times awful.  Not often average though.  He's a confidence player and I think he will develop and get better.  I hope he doesn't go and I don't think he will.

3 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

This is bristol city we are discussing. Prepare to despair.

4 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Things I wasn't expecting... anyone to be interested in joey. 

Believe me, there's no one in the team I've ever wanted to up his game quite like I wanted Joe to, but he's been shit. 

But then again, I'm a police officer. I'd be shit as a paramedic. Fortunately the powers that be let me be a police officer. 

Bet that doesn't stop you having to deal with jobs meant for paramedics though! 

I thought Joey was gunna kick on after our promotion season. It's clear he has talent but just seems to lose his head for big parts of a game. 

Its a tough call to make!

8 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Inconsistent, yes.  Mediocre, certainly not.  At times he is brilliant, but at times awful.  Not often average though.  He's a confidence player and I think he will develop and get better.  I hope he doesn't go and I don't think he will.

You're right, not mediocre. But definately frustrating. And quite often disappointing. We know he's got things in his locker that could take him up a level, but we so rarely see them. I hope you're right and he does push on. It wouldn't surprise me if a move away would maketh the man.

4 hours ago, redcherryberry said:

He was. He also played left centre mid at home to Huddersfield season before last. They couldn't deal with his bravery & quick direct running. I remember seeing the experienced Dean Whitehead shaking his head many a time during that match as Joe flew past him each time. I come away from that game thinking this is the only position JB will excel in at this level (IMO). Never been given a run their unfortunately.  A victim of his versatility.

Also, very tidy away at Wolves in the same 15/16 season.

A victim of versatility....maybe

A victim of inconsistency....definitely

Needs to improve his anticipation, gives himself a little too much to do at times.  Mixed feelings here.

i wouldn't want Joe to go but he really needs to up his game, he has had a very average season.

Technically he is very good and can play anywhere on the left but this season he has struggled with consistency, if he wants to make the left back his own then he needs to study quality full backs like Azpilicueta, when this guy has a off day he gets 7/ 10

To get the best out of Joe you need to play him in his best position, left wing back.

3 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

I think he's been going through the motions here for a while. Does he really WANT to be a professional footballer because sometimes he seems to lack that edge or desire. However, £2.5m is peanuts. 

He's an interesting case. We know a bit about his family, Dad being a brain surgeon and sister a successful athlete.. he went to a private school(?) and had a bit of a 'nicer' upbringing than your stereotypical footballer.

I read a detailed blog post about the relative success at senior level of 'nice' academy players from a 'nice' area (they used Southampton as one example and James Ward-Prowse/Luke Shaw) compared to those from inner city Manchester and London and various other examples. They hypothesised that to be a successful footballer it's much better to come from a poorer/tougher upbringing. 

I do wonder if Bryan lacks a bit of a cutting edge and nastiness in his game partly due to having a decent upbringing.

He's a real puzzler for me JB, would not want to lose him but as said in other replies I'm not sure where he contributes best.  He can be a LB but in my view as I stated in another thread not the type of LB we need now.  He has lost a lot of confidence though.

Also someone please tell him to stop trying to repeat that goal against the gas.

Yeah sell him on.

Has nothing to offer. Apart from being two footed can head a ball, doesn't mind a tackle ,can take a player on and cross a ball.

Score the occasional goal from outside the box, (have we anyone else that can do that?)

**** he's still a young man. But hell get rid the lad has no talent and in no whey can he improve.

Lacking confidence so some supporters want to ship him on instead of err supporting him.  

No doubt he reads this forum as well as I understand a lot of the players do.  

There were people wanting Korey Smith sold and look how he ended the season.  Why not try to be supportive of Joe?  Easily good enough for this level with some confidence and tad more consistency.  

When he is good he is excellent!

7 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

He's an interesting case. We know a bit about his family, Dad being a brain surgeon and sister a successful athlete.. he went to a private school(?) and had a bit of a 'nicer' upbringing than your stereotypical footballer.

I read a detailed blog post about the relative success at senior level of 'nice' academy players from a 'nice' area (they used Southampton as one example and James Ward-Prowse/Luke Shaw) compared to those from inner city Manchester and London and various other examples. They hypothesised that to be a successful footballer it's much better to come from a poorer/tougher upbringing. 

I do wonder if Bryan lacks a bit of a cutting edge and nastiness in his game partly due to having a decent upbringing.

Interesting. This is why I wonder if he actually has the drive to succeed (see related post re Jamal) and leave Bristol where it might all be a bit to "easy" for him? A footballers life is usually a fairly itinerant one, yet he's never experienced anything other than City. Maybe a move is the only way for him to find out if he's cut out for the job he has. 

8 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

This is reverse snobbery. How about the lads from a less privileged background who are star struck by the excessive cash in the game who do not know how to manage it and lose their drive and appetite. This has been levelled at Rubens Liftus Cheek at Chelsea who was rated higher than Deli Ali in the England youth set up.

JB is a hugely talented player who's potential is noted by professional managers across the country but not the Football Manager 2017 players on this forum. Probably the same ones who thought that Cotteril, Murray, Albert and Bolasie were not good enough for us.

14 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I would suggest you look at many many of the goals conceded since January and then come back with your precis of JB as an LB.

not fair to single out joe, when every player playing on the flanks were as guilty, We should keep joe, yea he had a poor season but who didn't?

Archived