IGNORED

England Squad

Super

Must be the end for Rooney. Good to see Trippier in.

Full 25-man England squad

Jack Butland (Stoke), Fraser Forster (Southampton), Joe Hart (Torino, on loan from Man City), Tom Heaton (Burnley); Ryan Bertrand (Southampton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Nathaniel Clyne (Liverpool), Aaron Cresswell (West Ham), Ben Gibson (Middlesbrough), Phil Jones (Man Utd), Chris Smalling (Man Utd), John Stones (Man City), Kieran Trippier (Tottenham), Kyle Walker (Tottenham); Dele Alli (Tottenham), Eric Dier (Tottenham), Adam Lallana (Liverpool), Jesse Lingard (Man Utd), Jake Livermore (West Brom), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Raheem Sterling (Man City); Jermain Defoe (Sunderland), Harry Kane (Tottenham), Marcus Rashford (Man Utd), Jamie Vardy (Leicester).

1 minute ago, lenred said:

First thing that sticks out as soon I read that was we really are light at CB aren't we. Crying out for a Gibson or such like to come through (good to see him in the squad). 

Surprised Keane isn't.

15 minutes ago, lenred said:

First thing that sticks out as soon I read that was we really are light at CB aren't we. Crying out for a Gibson or such like to come through (good to see him in the squad). 

4 GKs, 5 CBs and 3 RBs... and 2 CMs. Dier is really a defender (though he's a decent holding midfielder) and Livermore is bang average. We're horribly short of anyone who can pass the ball in the middle of midfield.

Has Carrick retired from internationals? He should walk that team! Surprised Warde-Prowse isn't in there. Even Mark Noble could do a job.

The other thing to me, I would have had Pickford in . Don't think you need 4 keepers but why not include him for experience. Hart is not my fav and with Butland and Forster Pickford could have gone as 3rd choice.

9 minutes ago, Dunc said:

4 GKs, 5 CBs and 3 RBs... and 2 CMs. Dier is really a defender (though he's a decent holding midfielder) and Livermore is bang average. We're horribly short of anyone who can pass the ball in the middle of midfield.

Has Carrick retired from internationals? He should walk that team! Surprised Warde-Prowse isn't in there. Even Mark Noble could do a job.

Perhaps we will see that 3-4-2-1 some teams in the Prem are favouring, which is why we've gone for more tricky players and defenders and wing backs, we'll see!

2 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

The other thing to me, I would have had Pickford in . Don't think you need 4 keepers but why not include him for experience. Hart is not my fav and with Butland and Forster Pickford could have gone as 3rd choice.

Pickford is with the u21 for the Euro championships this summer so that's why he isn't in the squad.

5 minutes ago, CheddarReds said:

Pickford is with the u21 for the Euro championships this summer so that's why he isn't in the squad.

Makes sense, better experience than sitting on the bench... unless he's on the bench for the U21's :whistle:

I'm going to the France game. Should be a good laugh in the Parisian sun.

2 hours ago, EnderMB said:

I think Keane is injured, so I imagine they're keeping his out of these friendlies.

Some weird choices there, but should be enough for Scotland. I'm not sure how these players will do against France though...

The Scotland game is a qualifier

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Many people say that now, but I don't get why?

Too many over monstrously over paid Premier league players playing without any obvious commitment, unity or passion in an uncohesive team representing a discredited, avaricious and self-serving football association playing under a flag which most of us are being hectored in to believing represents out and out racist bigotry and fascist tendencies. Or is that just me? 

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Many people say that now, but I don't get why?

They're just a let down, a complete let down. Look at the last tournament, went through qualifying undeated (not that that was too difficult given the group opposition), comes to the tournament and same old story - flatter to deceive. Absolutely capitulated against Iceland, no desire, no plan A let alone plan B, complete lack of leadership both on the pitch and from the manager, your best striker taking corners, lack of shape, structure etc.....i don't want to go on.

England need to have a proper rethink about how it wants to play the game, style, tempo, shape, formation etc then pick the players to suit rather than the other way around. Round pegs, round holes.

Quite how Jordan Pickford is not in this selection is a mystery, he's pretty much kept Sunderland up for as long as he could almost on his own, apart from a blunder against Swansea...he's been head and shoulders the best keeper this season.

Other than dropping Rooney, Southgate won't do anything revolutionary or ground breaking, just another safe pair of hands for the FA, not a winner.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39999869

Manchester United captain Wayne Rooney says he has "more or less" decided his future at the club.

Hmmmmmm or the club has made the decision for him?

I think he is a first class tool, stating when he will hang up his England boots, hopefully England make the decision earlier for him. An average footballer, who didn't live up to his potential.

1 minute ago, Red_Wizard said:

Manchester United captain Wayne Rooney says he has "more or less" decided his future at the club.

I think he is a first class tool, stating when he will hang up his England boots, hopefully England make the decision earlier for him. An average footballer, who didn't live up to his potential.

Do one. Please, just **** off.

6 minutes ago, Red_Wizard said:

England and Man U's record goalscorer didn't reach his potential?

What he failed to do was maintain his level when he got to his late 20's. Look at Ronaldo. If anything he has got even better in the last few years and at the very least he sustained his exceptionally high standards right through. Rooney plateaued and in the last couple of years has definitely tailed off.

42 minutes ago, Red_Wizard said:

Think in some ways he's a victim of the media. Came onto the scene early making a huge impact and the fact he's taken a while to get the hang of his media handling made him an easy target. Easy to brand him as someone who's underperformed but he's England and Man United's highest ever goal scorer and he's won

Champions League x1
Europa League x1
Club World Cup x1
Prem x5
FA Cup x1
League Cup x3

and plenty of individual awards such as PFA player (young player and fans player) of the year, prem player of the year and been in Euro and FIFPRO XI's.

Get's my respect.

16 minutes ago, cityboy99 said:

Why is Rashford in the squad for? Surly going to the U21's Euros would be a whole lot better for him and England's future!! Get that championship experience etc... 

Had similar thoughts myself. My guess would be he got that experience last year at the seniors Euro's so perhaps Southgate thought he'd had that bit more experience under his belt and could afford to give him less games over the summer where as Pickford, who could easily come into the senior squad hasn't had the same level of experience in Championships, but only Southgate knows I suppose!

33 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think they clearly give 100%. Not being good enough doesn't mean they're not trying. Fair enough on not supporting them, but does this mean if we got to a world cup final, you would not be cheering them on?

If they were 'not good enough' to get a result against the mighty Iceland in 2016 it'll be a few years before I'm faced with that hypothetical dilemma. 

Archived