IGNORED

Gazza

INCRED

Just now, MC RISK77 said:

Yep gazza of course but I prefer watching maverick unpredictable player...that doesn't necessarily mean he has been the best, and I'm not trying to be controversial at all because I love the guy, but I also really enjoyed watching gerrard for much different reasons and based on all round game gerrard for me pips it.

It's a shame we couldn't of had gerrard and gazza I'm midfield. Instead of lampard and gerrard 

12 hours ago, shelts said:

The most gifted English player I have ever seen . His own worst enemy . A real shame to see him crippled by alcoholism a horrible disease 

As with many geniuses - flawed.

11 hours ago, GasDestroyer said:

For those who don't know or remember what playing for your country meant!

IMG_20170528_213251.jpg

What a great picture, was at this game as well for the WC semi final.

This is what it meant 25 years ago playing for your country not any more.

2 minutes ago, bakes said:

What a great picture, was at this game as well for the WC semi final.

This is what it meant 25 years ago playing for your country not any more.

Exactly the same was being said when Gazza and his mates were doing the Dentist Chair. Overpaid louts who were unprofessional and didn't care.

I don't buy all that BS. They cared then and they care now. When England lose big games it's down to lack of ability not lack of effort. Insulting to suggest otherwise...,,.pay packet size has got **** all to do with it.

17 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Exactly the same was being said when Gazza and his mates were doing the Dentist Chair. Overpaid louts who were unprofessional and didn't care.

I don't buy all that BS. They cared then and they care now. When England lose big games it's down to lack of ability not lack of effort. Insulting to suggest otherwise...,,.pay packet size has got **** all to do with it.

Didn't look like they cared too much against Iceland last summer or was it lack of ability?

That team of 1990 would not have gone missing in action.

As I've said before that it would be a waste of time our getting Messi, as without having the players around him to read and work with him he would be nowhere near as good, so it was like watching Gazza in several poorly-attended England friendlies at the old Wembley mid 90s under Graham Taylor.

The tactics were summed up perfectly by my mate as "Give the ball to Gazza".  That was it, Gazza, a couple of goal hangers and seven players trying to win the ball to give it to Gazza in case he could pull off something spectacular.

I only saw him once in a competitive game, but what a game: England 4 Holland 1 Euro 96 at Wembley.  Made even sweeter because at lunchtime I was planning to watch it in the pub but then got a call from my MD who wanted someone to replace a dropout on corporate tickets.

I think / hope Gazza may be ok as he has gone into semi-retirement in a smal flat in a quiet south coast town, away from the bright lights and the fans wanting to buy him a beer. I know that there have been some drinking outbreaks since but they have been very infrequent and with tabloid reporters we would have heard all about them.

Remember seeing him play for Spurs against Millwall at the old Den, ran the show and was superb, he was taking the Mickey out of the Millwall supporters and to be fair they were loving it, the other moment that stands out for me was his goal against Scotland, outstanding and that is hard to say coming from a Scot. It's sad to see his life turn out the way it has especially with all the enjoyment he has given us with his brilliance.

Gerrard was a well-conditioned, disciplined footballer and character who fulfilled his potential.  See Beckham, Lampard, Rio Ferdinand for others in that mould.  They were finely tuned, talented footballers and fair play to them.

Gascoigne had the x-factor and it's almost as though he couldn't comply with the homing qualities necessary to fulfill his true potential, he had too much.  Had he done, he'd have been on the scale of a nuclear bomb in comparison to standard military artillery!  See Diego Maradona, Garrincha, Cantana and to a lesser extent Wayne Rooney for other players of the ilk.

Messi seems to have a good balance of rore ability and conformity with a process.

Tomlin, Jacki, JET verses (for example) Scott Murray, Tony Thorpe and, I dunno, Keith Welch seems a good local comparison of my point, here on otib.

Archived