IGNORED

To those who celebrated staying up.

cidered abroad

25 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

If you think @Thatch35 has free reign to just make up stuff to fuel a campaign...

Not my place to defend @Thatch35 but it was pretty clear that he was talking about celebrating on the stage that the Wurzels were/had been on and the rest is just semantics. 

47 minutes ago, RumRed said:

Not my place to defend @Thatch35 but it was pretty clear that he was talking about celebrating on the stage that the Wurzels were/had been on and the rest is just semantics. 

Ah, Semantics. What a live band they were.

Their interpretation of Words is even better than tge Bee Gees, but you have to listen carefully to get the real meaning.

In its own way it was the season with a bit of everything, but just a shame it wasn't played in reverse. The punching above our weight til October time. I recall a week when if a couple of close games had gone our way we could hare been top, but at that time the top end of the table looked a good bet.  Then the disaster run, the fear for some that we'd swap places with Rovers. Pulling out of the death dive at the last minute and then a handful of results with finally a settled side that saved us and took us full circle. But looking back now, and seeing Huddersfield in the Premier league after we took them apart does make me realise just how ill equipped we'd be for life at the next level. My hopes for next season are a settled side from early on and the season spent in the top half of the table and far more difficult to beat at Ashton Gate. 

Every team's aims and ambitions are different.  Man City need to win the league, Arsenal need to get in top 4.  We need to finish mid table and Burton are delighted if they stay up.

It's been forever thus.  

As for next season, who knows?  Your own personal ambition for the team will no doubt reflect your trust in Johnson as a coach and 'the committee' to make better signings than they did last season.  

5 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Man City chairman Khaldoon al Mubarak told the club website he was not a happy man after the club finished third in the Premier League

"There's nothing that annoys me more than people either calling me or sending me a message congratulating me on third place," he said.

"My answer was pretty standard to everyone, 'don't congratulate me on getting third, there's nothing to congratulate, only congratulate me if we win the league'.

"So, this is not the ambition, not at all. There's nothing to celebrate. I think it's something which is important, it's critical, and I know it requires a lot of hard work, particularly in this league, to be in the top four, but our ambition is to win the league. And if not winning it, to go as close as physically possible to winning the league."

So remember this coming season, we should only celebrate promotion or a major cup win. Staying up isn't an achievement.

He's only in it because he has money. 

It has nothing to do with hard work and development. 

Presumably he'd call smaller provincial clubs an abject failure. 

In the completion of who has the most money he's doing well. He should be quite happy. 

5 hours ago, SARJ said:

Plenty were celebrating as if we'd won the league.

This season was nothing short of shambolic with a mildly average finish. Fair play to the Man City Arab who wants nothing but success. Bristol City should be challenging for play offs, not settling for avoiding relegation.

How do you figure this?

Also, fans' expectations change throughout the season. The context is obviously important. I was pleased we finished 17th as at one point relegation was looming. But at the start of the season, I wouldn't have been pleased with 17th.

With regards to the OP, Manchester City and us are not comparable in the slightest. Also, you are comparing the Manchester City chairman's thoughts with what you perceive to be the thoughts of our fanbase. Again, hardly parallel.

5 hours ago, RedDave said:

Every team's aims and ambitions are different.  Man City need to win the league, Arsenal need to get in top 4.  We need to finish mid table and Burton are delighted if they stay up....

After our complete loss of momentum after walking League One, I'd say our aims are more in line with Burton's at the moment...

it's all about perspective. I didn't celebrate the fact the Redz stayed in Tier 2....but I'll confess to being relieved. Quite frankly I'll be happy with any place above 15th next season. Man City....Bristol City... different gravy. Wouldn't be averse to having a tenner on Man City winning the Title next season though.

8 hours ago, downendcity said:

Roma just sacked their manager after finishing runners up to Juve and qualifying for the champions league.

Not really, his contract was up and it's been common knowledge in Italy he's already had talks with Inter Milan and had no intention of staying, even before Roma's last game

Bristol City and celebrate are not two things that readily go together based on our history.  Let's hope next season proves an exception and we have something positive to celebrate, other than staying up or being 10th.

After all the clock is ticking on the promise that we will in a few seasons time be watching European football at Ashton Gate (suspect this will only be true if we lend 'our' ground to FGR!)

A lot of people want success, but few are willing to pay for it.

There are a lot of teams in the Championship, and I'd argue that there are easily seven teams in our division next year that deserve to be promoted above us. You don't get points for "best business plan", and you rarely succeed by copying the luck of others.

Aside from it being a long time since we've been in the top division, do we REALLY deserve to be looking at promotion? If not, then I don't think it's bad to suggest that we celebrate not being relegated in a league with better teams than us.

I think the season ended poorly and there was no real celebration as far as I could see. I think relief sums it up for me and for most of the fans I sit near. We nearly went down and there were times where we looked odds on to do so. I think the broader point though is that those in the higher echelons of the club need to have that winning mentality as the MCFC Chairman has said. They want to win and to be successful. I dont always get the impression that our board are motivated in that way with some of their decisions. How many of our hierarchy and teams have won things.... cant think of any..... Ask yourself this question, if the MCFC Chairman had brought BCFC would he be happy with where we are. The answer would be No. Thus, you do have to glance at our own billionaire owner and wonder what his aims really are.....unfortunately money can buy success in football provided it is utilized accordingly. Both MCFC and Chelsea are proof of that. I cannot help thinking we have wasted £ rather than invested it wisely and on what was necessary to take the next step. 

On 5/30/2017 at 13:36, Phileas Fogg said:

Of course you celebrate staying up, going down would've been disasterous. 12000 crowds rattling around in the new AG and the same league as Rovers. Would've been awful.

It's all relative to our situation, Man City's expectations are clearly far different to ours. When you get Guardiola and spend millions in the summer, you can forgive their owners for expecting a title.

Just imagine if we had gone down and rovers had gone up!!

19 hours ago, Distortia said:

How do you figure this?

Also, fans' expectations change throughout the season. The context is obviously important. I was pleased we finished 17th as at one point relegation was looming. But at the start of the season, I wouldn't have been pleased with 17th.

With regards to the OP, Manchester City and us are not comparable in the slightest. Also, you are comparing the Manchester City chairman's thoughts with what you perceive to be the thoughts of our fanbase. Again, hardly parallel.

Simple. Millionaire owner. Brand new stadium. Best squad we've had in years. High wages. Decent signings and loans.

On paper everything an established Championship club could hope for. Only thing lacking was an experienced manager.

Archived