IGNORED

Annoying phrases used in football you'd like to disappear (if only)

Warwickshire Red

12 hours ago, Warwickshire Red said:

As a bit of fun, what phrases get on your nerves which you'd rid fottball of (in a Carlsberg world)?

Mine would be:

Like I say/like you say - when often not been said before in the interview (one of LJ's and many footballer's favs)

we need a result - you'll get a result win, lose or draw. You mean need a win.

we go again - go where? To the loo?  You mean we lost but we'll try to win the next game.

We go again is my pet hate.

11 hours ago, KernowRed said:

The phrase often used is '6 Pointer' when only ever 3 points are awarded for a win.

I believe a draw should be 2 points for the away team and 1 point for the home team, thereby the 3 points available at the start of the game is correctly shared.

Several responses why not, but I'd like to add another option.

2 points for a home win, 3 points for an away win.  I'm pretty sure they did it in The Alliance (Conference) League in the 80s.

Of course, you'd all moan they we'd be in a relegation 5 pointer :P

5 hours ago, petehinton said:

Whenever people clap after a defender heads the ball back to their goalkeeper under no pressure.

When people say ''if they didn't have X they'd be screwed'' or something similar. Well, they do have him, so what's your point?!

or when they say if it wasn't for the keeper they would of lost 5. nil

10 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Not a phrase but when did players start covering their mouths to speak to each other on the pitch!  Absolute nonsense, it's like a disease which has spread amongst elite footballers to interested in their own self importance!

IMG_1861.JPG

That seemed to start with Doubles in tennis .

1 hour ago, New Dazzler said:

Back in the day shorts were knickers:whistle:

"In 1904 the Football Association dropped its rule that players' knickerbockers must cover their knees and teams began wearing them much shorter. They became known as "knickers", and were referred to by this term until the 1960s when "shorts" became the preferred term.[43] Initially, almost all teams wore knickers of a contrasting colour to their shirts"

They were called "knicks" when I was a kid in the 50s.

6 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I 'll tell you what I really really hate, though thankfully you don't get it on OTIB:

"on the team"

How in hell's name can you be on, rather than in, a team?  It makes my blood boil, but my son uses it all the time, even though I've threatened to stop his pocket money.

I'm with you on this cheer-leading, American, ignomious, bollox.  And have been for a long time.

I'm still struggling with 'blokes', 'lads' 'boys' 'geezers' etc being referred to with the limp-wristed agenderred 'guys'.   

Get this new one, now:  "Are you excited for next season?".  "No, I am not excited on behalf of next season as that makes no literal sense you ##### idiot!".  

I am not even excited about next season, but that is not the point.

Give me strength!

So, what is this about every illiterate**** saying 'so' at the start of each sentence?

Also, "Can I get?".... !! 

"You can ##### receive if you learn to speak your mother tongue!".

Why does the World I live in struggle to make the most simple of sense!!  

Rant over.  

That was therapeutic.

11 hours ago, Woodsy said:

When commentators describe the kit a team is playing in - 'City are wearing red shirts, white (this should be the law) shorts, and red stockings'. Stockings? Really? They are ******* socks

3 hours ago, New Dazzler said:

"In 1904 the Football Association dropped its rule that players' knickerbockers must cover their knees and teams began wearing them much shorter. They became known as "knickers", and were referred to by this term until the 1960s when "shorts" became the preferred term.[43] Initially, almost all teams wore knickers of a contrasting colour to their shirts"

Ann Summers could be new kit suppliers.

At the risk of having none of you guys talk to me again, I almost find most cliches like this hilarious because of their overuse and misuse.

The key is to use them in everyday conversation. Example:

Person: "Why did you only get half of the items on the shopping list"

Me: "Yeah, no, as I say, Asda is a tough place to go. I competed in every facet today and was constantly in and around the groceries. To be fair, I probably lacked a little bit of quality in the final third (of the aisles), but the fans were class today. Thankfully there's another shopping trip Tuesday night and we go again." 

5 hours ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

I'm with you on this cheer-leading, American, ignomious, bollox.  And have been for a long time.

I'm still struggling with 'blokes', 'lads' 'boys' 'geezers' etc being referred to with the limp-wristed agenderred 'guys'.   

Get this new one, now:  "Are you excited for next season?".  "No, I am not excited on behalf of next season as that makes no literal sense you ##### idiot!".  

Give me strength!

So, what is this about every illiterate**** saying 'so' at the start of each sentence?

Rant over.  

That was therapeutic.

Putting 'so' at the beginning of almost every sentence, has become like a nervous tic with a lot of people. Maybe they think it gives them gravitas or makes them appear intelligent (for some bloody reason).

6 hours ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

Give me strength!

Rant over.  

That was therapeutic.

People have now started saying in shops or whatever TODAY at the end of questions I.e. "would you like any shortbread TODAY" no I'll have it tomorrow, moron

10 hours ago, New Dazzler said:

Excellent knowledge, well done!

Knickerbockers, ffs!!

One I've noticed that has crept in over the last couple of years......

In English we would (usually) say 'the Bristol City keeper', for example

Now it seems that the correct way of saying it is 'the keeper of Bristol City'

We're not French, why change it?

13 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

This seems to be a general sporting thing, but predominantly Irish jockeys. They start their sentence with...."Listen....."

I think it is very rude and presumptuous, like saying "I've got something VERY important to say !

The use of "So" at the start of every sentence is also becoming intensely annoying.  

22 hours ago, Woodsy said:

My girls find it amazing that we had black and white tv when I was a kid

Makes you sound old, huh!?

Show 'em this early version of  'A Place In The Country'  featuring a couples search for a new home... its in B&W and the girls will be fascinated to see documented moving pictures of a couple of long forgotten Woodsy family members of yesteryear, they'd love to see where dad (you) used to spend your school summer holidays when you were a kid. Can't believe you haven't showed them this already to be honest... TV in black and white and the beginnings of the Woodsy family fortune.  enjoy.. :) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fHz_ugyjXU

14 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

This seems to be a general sporting thing, but predominantly Irish jockeys. They start their sentence with...."Listen....."

I think it is very rude and presumptuous, like saying "I've got something VERY important to say !

I don't think this is a sporting thing in particular, more the way Irish talk.  Would be like asking a Scot to not say wee or aye for example. My (Irish)Dad instead if saying ' can I have a look' or 'let me see' would just say 'show'. Eg, Me: 'Dad I've got a new phone'  and he'd say 'show' if he wanted to see it . For those who weren't used to the way he and other Irish people spoke often saw it as rude and demanding, but it wasn't at all, just the way they'd talk, same with the jockeys I think.

Another one I thought of thats a little annoying...

When a player is being interviewed and refer to our manager as "the Gaffer" - I can't think of a single place I've ever worked where I've referred to my manager/boss/team leader as anything but their name.

8 minutes ago, beaverface said:

Another one I thought of thats a little annoying...

When a player is being interviewed and refer to our manager as "the Gaffer" - I can't think of a single place I've ever worked where I've referred to my manager/boss/team leader as anything but their name.

About time you learned some respect then, son

I'd rather 'Gaffer' than referring to the boss by his first name. I had a real issue when Andrew Strauss got the suit job at the ECB and Alistair Cook still referred to him as 'Straussy' during interviews. Ugh

Just now, Woodsy said:

About time you learned some respect then, son

I'd rather 'Gaffer' than referring to the boss by his first name. I had a real issue when Andrew Strauss got the suit job at the ECB and Alistair Cook still referred to him as 'Straussy' during interviews. Ugh

Calling someone gaffer doesn't earn respect. You can still show respect to someone by using their correct names - crikey, it's been happening for years in normal workplaces, I can't understand why footballers are different?

Anyway, you've reminded me of something else - why do all the players/managers append the sound "-ie" to the end of the players name i.e. Flinty, Smithy, Packy.... etc..?

27 minutes ago, beaverface said:

Calling someone gaffer doesn't earn respect. You can still show respect to someone by using their correct names - crikey, it's been happening for years in normal workplaces, I can't understand why footballers are different?

Anyway, you've reminded me of something else - why do all the players/managers append the sound "-ie" to the end of the players name i.e. Flinty, Smithy, Packy.... etc..?

I don't see it as a respect thing, I think it's just one of those football things, from a bygone age that has stuck around

Agree with the nicknames, surely they can be a little more creative?

'At the end of the day'

'errm' (every two seconds!)

players constantly scratching/rubbing their face when being interviewed.

Andy Townsend - pretty much everything that comes out of his mouth - using goal as a plural really pisses me off.

Robbie Savages rants.

im sure there's a lot more!

45 minutes ago, beaverface said:

One or two around us gave us a few funny looks the first time that came out!

Archived