IGNORED

Annoying phrases used in football you'd like to disappear (if only)

Warwickshire Red

Not gone through the whole thread so apologies if duplicated.

"The Liverpools, the Arsenals, the Chelseas": last time I checked, there was only one of each.

Commentators describing a situation where a team has lost a tie that has gone to penalties. The tie was drawn, kicks from the penalty mark is simply the method to determine which team advances.

6 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

...oh, another one, both on here and elsewhere....people who don't go to away games saying "I go to (The Gate) every Saturday and we deserve better...."

We don't play at home every Saturday...

....or, "I've had a season ticket for 25/30/50 years..." - Tends to happen when fans phone in the Geoff Twentyman show.

It doesn't matter one bit whether you've had a season ticket for a long time or not. If the point you you're making is a valid one, then that's all that matters.

Your reasoning doesn't carry any more weight if you've been a fan for 1, 10 or 100 years.

31 minutes ago, beaverface said:

....or, "I've had a season ticket for 25/30/50 years..." - Tends to happen when fans phone in the Geoff Twentyman show.

It doesn't matter one bit whether you've had a season ticket for a long time or not. If the point you you're making is a valid one, then that's all that matters.

Your reasoning doesn't carry any more weight if you've been a fan for 1, 10 or 100 years.

make your mind up.

Has anyone brought up: "to be fair"?  

An expression that surely was born in football and seems to have infiltrated everything else, from teenage peer groups to news broadcasters.  

Utterly ridiculous; like an acceptance of supposed injustice an in deed, before the uttered words: "to be fair".  

I am the voice of justice and virtue !!

On 02/06/2017 at 00:15, slartibartfast said:

This seems to be a general sporting thing, but predominantly Irish jockeys. They start their sentence with...."Listen....."

I think it is very rude and presumptuous, like saying "I've got something VERY important to say !

And Australians starting every answer with ""Look, "

I hold my hands up to the 'transition' (another sickly word), in spending my afternoon in a cafe, not a Pub.  God forgive me for I have sinned.

Another linguistic fashion I've noticed is in the blasé use of the the word 'pivotal'.  

There was an albeit sad but educated language expert, forecasting at the tail end of 2016 words we can expect to emerge in the lexicon during 2017.

Also, why is the word 'super' now being used instead of the word 'very'?  For example: "It has been super warm, lately".  

What I think irritates me about it is that the people using the 'in' language somehow think that they're 'cool'.  

'Trendy': definitely.  'Conformists': definitely.    

'Cool' surely concerns being secure in ourselves, our own uniqueness and identity.  Not desperately trying to be, or speak, like everyone else. 

8 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Gareth Bale has literally just done that!

Didn't or start with Taylor, the Aussie cricket captain? Nice bloke by all accounts and one hell of a cricketer but I will remember him for 'mate, yeah no mate'. Warne was another one too!

:grr:

Managers talking about "The Group" to mean the players as a whole

Managers referring to "The Project" of what they are trying to achieve at a club - technically, it will be a programme, 'cos it will be several interlinked projects

Archived