IGNORED

Annoying phrases used in football you'd like to disappear (if only)

Warwickshire Red

The following drive me absolutely crackers. I hate them:

1) Describing a player as "sniffing around" the first team. What image does this put in your head? Not one that I want.

2) Players who announce their retirement from international football. I.E. arrogant ******* who know they are no good and want to pretend the decision not to be picked anymore was theirs.

3) Players who are said to "hand their manager a selection headache" as if the manger stays up until 4am pacing their bedrooms, screaming at a chalk board trying to work out who to pick.

4) Players who "declare themselves fit" to play. Surely that's the physio / Docs job?

I can't stand it when players or fans refer to a "massive" or "big" club. Seems completely meaningless and if there is such a thing - so what?

I also get annoyed when pundits agonise about whether there was "contact". Seems to be a fairly recent thing that the merest touch can constitute a foul and it is to the detriment of the game.

Also I don't like how the Manchester clubs seem to be referred to as just "City" and "Utd".

Grounds named after sponsors really get on my nerves as well.

6 hours ago, Warwickshire Red said:

As a bit of fun, what phrases get on your nerves which you'd rid fottball of (in a Carlsberg world)?

Mine would be:

Like I say/like you say - when often not been said before in the interview (one of LJ's and many footballer's favs)

we need a result - you'll get a result win, lose or draw. You mean need a win.

we go again - go where? To the loo?  You mean we lost but we'll try to win the next game.

Level playing field!!So every team in the championship would then get parachute payments!!!

3 hours ago, Woodsy said:

On the OS 'City deal in Smith' - ugh, deal in??

People on here who ask 'why are United signing players when the transfer window doesn't open until 1st July'. I may have mentioned this before.....

When commentators describe the kit a team is playing in - 'City are wearing red shirts, white (this should be the law) shorts, and red stockings'. Stockings? Really? They are ******* socks

'Too good to go down' - bollocks, that's why they are where they are

Stockings definitely sounds leftfield....how do they keep them up?

5 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I 'll tell you what I really really hate, though thankfully you don't get it on OTIB:

"on the team"

How in hell's name can you be on, rather than in, a team?  It makes my blood boil, but my son uses it all the time, even though I've threatened to stop his pocket money.

I HATE Americanisms.

23 minutes ago, RumRed said:

My first match report came through as

...--..---..---...-.-...

we lost 1-0 I seem to recall

Dad used to do ours with semaphore except when he lost one of the flags and we could only get a report up till half time. We suggested he swap hands for the second 45 mins as it is a game of two halves.

Archived