IGNORED

New badge

ollywhyte

On 6/2/2017 at 16:01, ollywhyte said:

Saw this banded round on Facebook a few times other day... pretty sure we won't be changing it but I for one would love to see the Robin back! Fairly decent design in my opinion. I know this conversation pops up every now and again so apologise in advance, it's that time of the year!!

IMG_1696.PNG

I'm not a big fan of this.

In addition, it looks like he has a stump for the other leg!

4 hours ago, Steve Watts said:

Personally feel the Robin looks a little...flountsy(?) And what's with the 1897 nonsense?!?  Like the helmet in the middle of the bridge...unsure if it actually needs our name on it - robin and Suspension Bridge instantly screams BCFC. But if the writing's not there I guess it would look as though the robin was wearing an ill fitting hat!

Although the critique may make it seem otherwise, I don't dislike the potential or concept of this badge though Olé..! :)

Where's its tail feathers?

On 2017-6-2 at 16:01, ollywhyte said:

Saw this banded round on Facebook a few times other day... pretty sure we won't be changing it but I for one would love to see the Robin back! Fairly decent design in my opinion. I know this conversation pops up every now and again so apologise in advance, it's that time of the year!!

IMG_1696.PNG

The robin and the ball does remind me of the old charlton athletic badge. Nice to see the old fashioned leather ball. A few simple changes and it will be a really good badge

12 hours ago, Spike said:

Of the two designs, I prefer the first one but would much rather stick with the Coat of Arms. The Robins is a nickname and should stay that way, the club is Bristol City so the City of Bristol coat of arms makes perfect sense and then having "the Robins" somehow added onto the shirt is all we need.

Yeh, but both Roverzzzz and Glos CCC have used the same badge as our current one....I want something unique to us, not one shared by other clubs.....

Robin, football, Suspension Bridge....unique, class, City.....

4 hours ago, Threshing Red said:

The robin and the ball does remind me of the old charlton athletic badge. Nice to see the old fashioned leather ball. A few simple changes and it will be a really good badge

You Sir, or Siress, have an incredible memory! Charlton Athletic only had the Robin as a badge for one season, in 1946/47 and even then only for league matches and not cup matches...

44 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

You Sir, or Siress, have an incredible memory! Charlton Athletic only had the Robin as a badge for one season, in 1946/47 and even then only for league matches and not cup matches...

Actually I've got a terrible memory..... I can't remember what i had for tea yestereday!   I just looked it up on google!

11 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yeh, but both Roverzzzz and Glos CCC have used the same badge as our current one....I want something unique to us, not one shared by other clubs.....

Robin, football, Suspension Bridge....unique, class, City.....

It would hardly make us unique, Charlton, Swindon, Cheltenham, Altrincham, Ilkeston, Evesham and Bracknell are all called the Robins. Swindon have a Robin on their badge, Cheltenham's badge is a Robin, Altrincham use Robins on their merch too, Ilkeston currently use the Robin as their badge, Evesham also have a Robin on their badge and Bracknell currently use the Robin as their badge....

I know a group of fans prefer the Robin but it's not in any way shape or form unique and by having it we'd still share a badge that's similar/ pretty much the same as other teams. At least the City of Bristol coat of arms makes sense.

4g619AY.png

3 minutes ago, Spike said:

It would hardly make us unique, Charlton, Swindon, Cheltenham, Altrincham, Ilkeston, Evesham and Bracknell are all called the Robins. Swindon have a Robin on their badge, Cheltenham's badge is a Robin, Altrincham use Robins on their merch too, Ilkeston currently use the Robin as their badge, Evesham also have a Robin on their badge and Bracknell currently use the Robin as their badge....

I know a group of fans prefer the Robin but it's not in any way shape or form unique and by having it we'd still share a badge that's similar/ pretty much the same as other teams. At least the City of Bristol coat of arms makes sense.

4g619AY.png

don't like the Robin designs but saying a team that is nicknamed the Robins plays in red and plays below the Citys iconic bridge would'nt make sense doesn't!!!! 

5 hours ago, Spike said:

4g619AY.png

Oh my, Ilkeston have absolutely nailed it there

Maybe we should buy it off them, seeing as they went bankrupt (again) yesterday. God, I love that

I quite like the Cheltenham one as well

11 hours ago, Spike said:

4g619AY.png

Charlton's nickname is the Addicks or the Valiants...they are NOT known as the Robins...

And you've also listed some non-league teams, why do you think they will get confused with an established league club of well over a hundred years?

Yes Cheltenham and Swindon have been known as The Robins, but so what?! Why can't we have a classy Robin badge? Still more original than a coat of arms which zillions of others clubs have - generic crap...

20 hours ago, Spike said:

4g619AY.png

Those first four badges are much better than ours!  I think this new design is great personally, but you will never ever please everyone in regards to the badge.  I think our old robin one is as much naff as it is unique, others love it

On 2017-6-6 at 22:16, BS4 on Tour... said:

Charlton's nickname is the Addicks or the Valiants...they are NOT known as the Robins...

And you've also listed some non-league teams, why do you think they will get confused with an established league club of well over a hundred years?

Yes Cheltenham and Swindon have been known as The Robins, but so what?! Why can't we have a classy Robin badge? Still more original than a coat of arms which zillions of others clubs have - generic crap...

I never said they'd get confused, I said if we want to be unique. It's not unique when there are 5 badges out there using the Robin already.
I still think the modern badges are ugly as hell, very few teams do them well and almost all of the modern badges end up being minimalised so the likelihood of getting a badge like Ilkeston's is very low, we're far more likely to get a very basic looking Robin. The trend at the moment is minimal, I design football logos and kits, maybe that's why I dislike the modern badges, because I'm fed up of making them. To me the coat of arms makes sense, it's traditional and it works with our name, making us the main team in the City of Bristol. Let the gasheads stick with their horrible looking pirate and we'll stick to representing the City of Bristol.

23 minutes ago, Spike said:

I never said they'd get confused, I said if we want to be unique. It's not unique when there are 5 badges out there using the Robin already.
I still think the modern badges are ugly as hell, very few teams do them well and almost all of the modern badges end up being minimalised so the likelihood of getting a badge like Ilkeston's is very low, we're far more likely to get a very basic looking Robin. The trend at the moment is minimal, I design football logos and kits, maybe that's why I dislike the modern badges, because I'm fed up of making them. To me the coat of arms makes sense, it's traditional and it works with our name, making us the main team in the City of Bristol. Let the gasheads stick with their horrible looking pirate and we'll stick to representing the City of Bristol.

Our Robin and Suspension bridge is on the side of a pub in memory of fans who have passed on from Bristol and beyond. That makes sense and nobody else does what fans of Bristol City have. It is unique.

35 minutes ago, Spike said:

Thanks for the reply. The debate about our badge and identity has been going on for almost as long as I've supported the club....you simply cannot please everyone. I like more minimalistic, 'clean' and uncluttered designs, you obviously don't - which is fine.

I get your point about 'unique' rather than 'confused' - apologies for taking it the wrong way. But to me the coat of arms isn't unique to us as the gas and Glos CCC have also used it as their badge.

I think what made the previous Robin design unique to us was the Suspension Bridge behind the Robin, that instantly says Bristol.

As an aside Isambard Kingdom Brunel was voted the 2nd greatest ever Briton in a huge BBC Poll in 2002 (Winston Churchill was first) so its obvious that there is widespread knowledge of his engineering feats, mainly in the south west and in Bristol. His influence on our City will always remain immense. So to me it would be good to include one of his landmarks on the badge again.

And while I'm on a roll with Isambard Kingdom Brunel facts and figures (!) - probably a little known fact, but Sir Jack Hayward paid for the SS Great Britain to be returned from the Falkland Islands to Bristol in 1970 - the ship had been 'retired' to the Falklands in 1884. So not all football club owners are bad! And the SS Great Britain now contributes £10m per year to Bristol's economy....so cheers Sir Jack and RIP....

1 hour ago, Cowshed said:

Anybody adopted, using and selling them?

Only local teams (where I live which is Cardiff). I do it mainly for free just because I enjoy making football stuff but it's always "I'd like something modern, minimalistic, like clubs these days".

On 06/06/2017 at 22:16, BS4 on Tour... said:

Weren't Wrexham also called the Robins?

On ‎08‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 11:50, Spike said:

Only local teams (where I live which is Cardiff). I do it mainly for free just because I enjoy making football stuff but it's always "I'd like something modern, minimalistic, like clubs these days".

I didn't answer. Fair play for A/Doing something that has been used B/Doing it for free.

I have never truly understood this debate, or more specifically the passion for the Robin. When was the last time the singing section broke into ‘the red red robin goes bob bob bobbin’ along’. The robin is not unique. I take the point that the Clifton suspension is unique, but for that matter so was the robin on the gate, and so is the badge of the city of Bristol in football. I am pretty certain that no other English City football club uses the city of Bristol coat of arms. 

2 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I have never truly understood this debate, or more specifically the passion for the Robin. When was the last time the singing section broke into ‘the red red robin goes bob bob bobbin’ along’. The robin is not unique. I take the point that the Clifton suspension is unique, but for that matter so was the robin on the gate, and so is the badge of the city of Bristol in football. I am pretty certain that no other English City football club uses the city of Bristol coat of arms. 

I'm pretty sure the other Bristol club has a homosexual pirate as their mark.

Archived