IGNORED

Football Manager 2017

ollywhyte

Latest news concerning my Aldershot save.

Managed to snag James Bree after he handed in a transfer request, along with the like of Adam Armstrong for £500k and a certain Taylor Moore for £2.5m.

The Rec (that Aldershot start the game with) didn't qualify as a premier league ground, but as a new stadium is being built I'm now groundsharing with Palace at Selhurst having sold 16,000 ST'S.

Currently 11th after thumping Ipswich 6-1.

I'll see if I can upload a save file of my game somewhere for people to peruse if I get some spare time.

Still not got FM17 going again yet, but while having a clear out I found CM 03-04, booted it up and started one as City.

I have a transfer budget of £85k which leaves a limited number of decent targets (Wilbraham at Stockport costs 250k and is rated worse than a transfer listed Lee Matthews). I poked around a couple of Premier League youth teams and have made 2 free transfers, though I have to wait a season for the contracts to run out.

You might recognise the names.

20170706_161902.jpg

20170706_161610.jpg

7 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Still not got FM17 going again yet, but while having a clear out I found CM 03-04, booted it up and started one as City.

I have a transfer budget of £85k which leaves a limited number of decent targets (Wilbraham at Stockport costs 250k and is rated worse than a transfer listed Lee Matthews). I poked around a couple of Premier League youth teams and have made 2 free transfers, though I have to wait a season for the contracts to run out.

You might recognise the names.

20170706_161902.jpg

20170706_161610.jpg

Played this for a bit now, circa 13 games in and 7th, got Tavalaridis (sp?) and Paulinho on loan from Arsenal, sold Matty Hill for 250k to Everton and used 100k to sign Paulinho permanently.

Am in the League cup 4th round (havent done the draw yet) after beating Torquay, another Division 3 (League 2) club and Premier League Leceister!

Also in the JPT second round after a 120th minute winner from Cole Skuse on his debut, up from the youth team. It has him listed as a forward on there.

Lee Peacock and Lee Miller are making a decent pairing up front for me. And that rascal Dean Holden gave me a helping hand when I played against Oldham, making a big error for one goal and then giving away a penalty for my third, just when Oldham were coming into the game- it finished 4-0.

Free transfers for Samir Nasri and Hatem ben Arfa fell through, trying to get Arda Turan but work permit is a problem.

Going after these players is a bit risky as it relies on the CM researchers having done a good job 15 years ago, and the scout report on Fabregas wasn't convincing.

Rushed through the first season on CM:03-04.

Halfway through I was on course for a 100 point season.

Hit a rough patch and dropped down to 8th, but fortunately for me 2nd-7th was really tight. 2 injury time goals (one in my game and one in another) denied me automatic promotion. Lost 2-0 away at Barnsley before winning 5-2 in the home leg.

Demolished Blackpool 5-1 in the Playoff final- flapper Phillips scoring an own goal.

Out of my initial 45k budget I had 16k left, despite making a profit on sales. I also cleared 2m of debt and there is now 200k in the bank.

For this achievement I have been rewarded with a whopping 14k budget to fight against relegation.

Oh, and as well as losing Peacock (26 goals, 19 assists from 46 games) on a free transfer because he wouldn't sign a new one, all my transfers I had lined up were cancelled because there was a compensation fee which the clun couldn't afford.

I have resorted to offering trials out to anyone who doesn't have a club, including 37 year olds Les Ferdinand and Teddy Sheringham.

On 29/06/2017 at 15:46, JamesBCFC said:

Starting unemployed with no badges is always a good challenge (see the last page and my game at a Swedish club)

Seperate thing, I cannot actually play the game anymore. I have no internet access and I am being told I need to be online for the first start up, despite having played hundreds of hours.

Am getting this for all games except Worms Armageddon and Rocket League.

Have you tried restoring your game cache on steam?

On 10 June 2017 at 08:32, Flint says No said:

In my first season after a hard start I led Bristol City to 11th in the championship with Milan Djuric somehow top scorer with 24 league goals with Tammy getting 13 league goals aswell but unfortunately I couldn't resign him on loan for the second season. Also Wilbs retired and he is now a coach alongside David Coles (Bobby Davro!)nanda my assistant Jamie McAllister.

In the second season I signed Rob Holding and Callum Robinson on loan and Rob Holding was a useful back up to Flint and Wright and Robinson was my top scorer with 14 league goals with Djuric just behind on 12. I also replaced Giefer with Martinez from Arsenal and in the end I finished 10th (1 better than last year).

I am now currently in my 3rd season and I made a few signings already including Jota from Brentford, Silvestri from Leeds and Robert Huth on a free. Hoping to get a new striker also but here's my current team.

Martinez

Odoi

Flint

Wright

Magnusson

Paterson

Hegeler

Reid

Bryan

Osvaldo (Brazilian I got on a bosman did ok of the bench last year 3 goals in 11 apps)

Djuric

Bench

Silvestri, Huth, Evans (from Reading), Brownhill, O'Dowda, Engvall, Jota

image.png

Halfway through my third season and currently sit in 6th. Osvaldo is my top scorer so far with 16 goals and I'm only in January! Made one new signing in Mario Raya a new gen from Real on loan who will rival Martinez for the number 1 jersey. Jota now starts ahead of Djuric and Evans now starts ahead of Hegeler. Hoping to get a RB, CM and a ST in the new window.

On 2017-7-10 at 16:52, Phileas Fogg said:

Have you tried restoring your game cache on steam?

Not yet, had the game back for a few days and finished that season on my City save (threw away my chance of winning the Premier League for the third time in a row- still never won a league title :sad26:)

Then unable to play any games so went back to my CM03-04 game and almost finished my second season. Playoffs guarenteed with 2 games to play. Automatic promotion to the premier league possible but unlikely.

Annoyingly it was more likely (same results for me, but other teams losing/drawing) and then the game froze and I had to restart the PC.

Just being in the playoffs was a surprise though as I had a budget of 14k and was told to fight relegation. I made 8-9 free transfers to supplement my squad and 2 of them got 50 goals between them!

Best part is that if I avoid Rotherham (who still might go up automatically) I did the double over all the other teams who could be in the playoffs, so would be fairly confident of getting 2 promotions in 2 years.

19 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Not yet, had the game back for a few days and finished that season on my City save (threw away my chance of winning the Premier League for the third time in a row- still never won a league title :sad26:)

Then unable to play any games so went back to my CM03-04 game and almost finished my second season. Playoffs guarenteed with 2 games to play. Automatic promotion to the premier league possible but unlikely.

Annoyingly it was more likely (same results for me, but other teams losing/drawing) and then the game froze and I had to restart the PC.

Just being in the playoffs was a surprise though as I had a budget of 14k and was told to fight relegation. I made 8-9 free transfers to supplement my squad and 2 of them got 50 goals between them!

Best part is that if I avoid Rotherham (who still might go up automatically) I did the double over all the other teams who could be in the playoffs, so would be fairly confident of getting 2 promotions in 2 years.

Lost playoff final.

A certain Bastian Schwiensteiger just got released, so I snapped him up on a free transfer.

Sold Carey to Coventry for 250k and Aaron Brown to Sheffield UTD for 500k

Bought some youngster from York for 230k and signed Ebanks-Blake on a free. Had a budget of 800k got £1m left.

Spotted Iniesta and David Villa at Zaragoza but they are on big wages so cant lure them to Bristol. Might try for Fabregas now I can afford the compensation fee.

At the moment my midfield is Wilkshire, Doherty and Schwiensteiger, and in the last match Bastian was subbed for Simon Clist!

On the brink of keeping Solihull Moors up after being tipped for finishing bottom of the league. Currently have 3 games to play, in 18th place with 54 pts and 6 points adrift of Torquay in 21st who are occupying the last relegation spot with 48 points. Just need a win or a draw against Dagenham and Redbridge to confirm safety. Not bad since I have virtually no money and awful players. Wasn't an easy start mind. Went 16 games at the very beginning of the season before overcoming Macclesfield Town 4-1 away in the FA Cup 4th qualifying round. Got a few wins within the next ten games. At one point, I was 21st with about 19 points and the team above had about 31. Went on a really good run and only about 4 games ago finally got out the drop zone and into safety. Just gotta pray I don't bottle it in these next 3 games :fingerscrossed:

FM17 working again.

Threw away a lead in the second half of the season again. :grr:

Sold one of my midfielders for £96m, replaced him with someone 5 years younger for £20m less who promptly got injured for 8 months.

Somehow got to mid December with only one defeat (0-2 against Bayern) despite only having 3 senior cbs, 2 of which have spent spells injured.

Also had my star right winger injured for 4 months (due back any game now) but having extremely versatile players has got me through.

About 10 points clear, and in all competitions still, beat Real Madrid in pre season with a rotated squad. If I don't win any trophies this season I will resign and join a lower league club (will be doing this eventually anyway).

Just been promoted to the prem! Signed some big players already I fact in real life they've just left their clubs for a combined £80m but in FM it was a lot cheaper. I signed Kyle Walker for £10.5m and Jordan Pickford who spent last season in the championship for a swap deal with Marco Silvestri. Looking for another striker as we didn't score much last season although Osvaldo was the league's top scorer with 29 league goals. Also looking at other CMs defensive and going forward as not sure if their premier league quality.

7 hours ago, Flint says No said:

Just been promoted to the prem! Signed some big players already I fact in real life they've just left their clubs for a combined £80m but in FM it was a lot cheaper. I signed Kyle Walker for £10.5m and Jordan Pickford who spent last season in the championship for a swap deal with Marco Silvestri. Looking for another striker as we didn't score much last season although Osvaldo was the league's top scorer with 29 league goals. Also looking at other CMs defensive and going forward as not sure if their premier league quality.

Alexis Blin is a good shout at CM.

Had him for a few seasons and sold for big profit, but I managed promotion in first season (robbed Wolves in the playoff final) which helped getting talent in quick.

He's 20 IRL, so should still be at a good age unless you are 12+ years in!

8 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Alexis Blin is a good shout at CM.

Had him for a few seasons and sold for big profit, but I managed promotion in first season (robbed Wolves in the playoff final) which helped getting talent in quick.

He's 20 IRL, so should still be at a good age unless you are 12+ years in!

I'll try look out for him I'm four seasons in so hopefully can afford him! Thanks for the suggestion anyway. I managed to beat Hull 4-0 in the playoff final!

1 hour ago, Flint says No said:

I'll try look out for him I'm four seasons in so hopefully can afford him! Thanks for the suggestion anyway. I managed to beat Hull 4-0 in the playoff final!

A better (more expensive) option as a CM (another defensive minded one) is Sergi Samper.

If he hasn't transfered will be at Barca, probably in the 'B' team.

He is good enough to be in a top Prem squad in his early 30s

31 minutes ago, hodge said:

I've never really been able to do well as City, any of the guys who have, what formation and tactics do you guys use?

I used a 4-2-3-1 variation. Only one regular CM, who was placed at M(LC), and one as a DM(RC)

When I did this I did initially struggle, and came close to being sacked early in my first season (which ended in promotion!), but I started listening to the assistant managers advice ahead of each game and results picked up massively.

On 21 July 2017 at 16:20, hodge said:

I've never really been able to do well as City, any of the guys who have, what formation and tactics do you guys use?

Mostly used 442 but the season I got promoted I had Jota and played a 4411 in that I had one attacking option in Bobby Reid and one defensive in George Evans.

43 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

Anyone preordered FM2018 yet? 25% off on Steam if you have FM2017 in your Steam library.

Any ideas what's going to be new in this years version?

Worth baring in mind it has to be pre ordered by 9th October (right date?) so not as if you can wait till just before its released. 

Edit - Also saw on someones suggested added features part a good suggestion that you should be able to take the role of a caretaker manager.

26 minutes ago, hodge said:

Worth baring in mind it has to be pre ordered by 9th October (right date?) so not as if you can wait till just before its released. 

Edit - Also saw on someones suggested added features part a good suggestion that you should be able to take the role of a caretaker manager.

Yeah, I've preordered today so I've got it for the 25% off but I haven't seen anything about what the new features are, like many I buy it year after year irrespective of what the new features will be.

Think I read somewhere the new features are likely to be announced at the end of the month. 

Edit - from FM's website

'The first details of new features and upgrades in Football Manager 2018 will be revealed on our social channels and Insider newsletter in late September.'

4 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

I've put thousands of hours in to FM, can't believe I've only just stumbled on this thread.

Looking back when I was an undergrad

Year 1 - 385 hours

Year 2 - 641 hours

Year 3 - 314 hours 

I should note that I would often leave the game running in the background :ph34r: 

2 minutes ago, hodge said:

Looking back when I was an undergrad

Year 1 - 385 hours

Year 2 - 641 hours

Year 3 - 314 hours 

I should note that I would often leave the game running in the background :ph34r: 

My record for a year is 1849. Left the game running in the background a LOT.

Archived