IGNORED

Genuinely Concerned

Suffolk Red

With Tammy gone and Flint Bryan and Brownhill the subject of interest from bigger clubs, I am concerned about our prospects next season.

Can a MLS full back and a league one centre back really step into the shoes of proven Championship players and where are we going to find Tammy's replacement?

Not panicking just yet but starting to get a bit concerned.

Just now, Suffolk Red said:

With Tammy gone and Flint Bryan and Brownhill the subject of interest from bigger clubs, I am concerned about our prospects next season.

Can a MLS full back and a league one centre back really step into the shoes of proven Championship players and where are we going to find Tammy's replacement?

I think that we must be clever should these players go. I don't think they will however. You don't really need to be concerned unless we do sell then and fail to sign a replacement. I honestly got a bit worried when SC hardly signed anybody in the Summer transfer window 2 years ago!

It's far far far too early to be concerned yet.

We knew it was pretty unlikely that Abraham would be back so we've known that we require a replacement for months. It's very important we get that right and is obviously the most pressing concern.

As for Flint, Bryan and Brownhill, we don't know that there's interest - just inevitable paper talk. Whilst all three are good players in their own right, I would argue that all three are far more easily replaceable than Abraham. I would be most disappointed with us losing Brownhill of those three mentioned. 

In the same way we don't know the validity of rumours about outgoings, we don't know for sure about in-comings either. I don't think there's that many on this site that know enough about Lawrence and Bolger to tell how they'd perform in our side. I wouldn't turn your nose up about lower league signings or those from abroad, players have to start somewhere and some of the most successful players in this league last season have previously played at a much lower standard than this. Stockdale, Bruno, Mooy, Wood, Gayle (to name but a few) of the PFA's 16-17 Championship team of the season have all played at a worse standard than this. 

Far, far too early to worry.

I do think those who say (as someone did yesterday) that a Taylor, Djuric, Engvall strike force would work are deluded, but do expect some (but fewer) arrivals than last summer so hopefully an emphasis on first team not squad players.

1 hour ago, Suffolk Red said:

I wouldn't be at all worried if we had Magners and Wright at CB. The new lad would probably be the reserve. It's very early yet, plenty of time to get a Tammy replacement.

Is it me or does this kind of post appear at the beginning of every June? Maybe it's boredom that causes the concern?

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It's far far far too early to be concerned yet.

We knew it was pretty unlikely that Abraham would be back so we've known that we require a replacement for months. It's very important we get that right and is obviously the most pressing concern.

As for Flint, Bryan and Brownhill, we don't know that there's interest - just inevitable paper talk. Whilst all three are good players in their own right, I would argue that all three are far more easily replaceable than Abraham. I would be most disappointed with us losing Brownhill of those three mentioned. 

In the same way we don't know the validity of rumours about outgoings, we don't know for sure about in-comings either. I don't think there's that many on this site that know enough about Lawrence and Bolger to tell how they'd perform in our side. I wouldn't turn your nose up about lower league signings or those from abroad, players have to start somewhere and some of the most successful players in this league last season have previously played at a much lower standard than this. Stockdale, Bruno, Mooy, Wood, Gayle (to name but a few) of the PFA's 16-17 Championship team of the season have all played at a worse standard than this. 

He played in La Liga with a pretty good Valencia side before he joined Brighton so unsure about that one. CL experence too.

Nonetheless, agree with the bulk of your post. Chris Wood (I assume that's who you mean by Wood) generally in the top 2 divisions in his career.

Anyway yeah we knew Tammy would go that should be our big priority. The other 3? Our medium and long term future to varying degrees, so don't sell them I would say! Flint has a contract until 2020.- he stays, Bryan 2019 so a bit dicier...yikes though just checked Brownhill 2018??

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

He played in La Liga with a pretty good Valencia side before he joined Brighton so unsure about that one. CL experence too.

Nonetheless, agree with the bulk of your post. Chris Wood (I assume that's who you mean by Wood) generally in the top 2 divisions in his career.

Anyway yeah we knew Tammy would go that should be our big priority. The other 3? Our medium and long term future to varying degrees, so don't sell them I would say!

Bruno started his career at Espanyol B and Chris Wood at Waikato FC in New Zealand before they moved onto better things. Regardless whether it was early in their careers or not, i'm sure you can see my point - it's foolish to write off players based on former clubs as they've got to start somewhere.

Surprised Bryan got a mention there. He's shit apparently :facepalm: More surprised he's not been slagged off yet!

Not saying you said so, but there's a contingent who'd suggest he's not good on otib. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Not concerned btw. Enjoy your 'summer'!!

6 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Bruno started his career at Espanyol B and Chris Wood at Waikato FC in New Zealand before they moved onto better things. Regardless whether it was early in their careers or not, i'm sure you can see my point - it's foolish to write off players based on former clubs as they've got to start somewhere.

AAgreed, all gotta start somewhere- to take a great example Jamie Vardy was non League not too long ago, Mahrez French 2nd tier a few years back and at our level Kodjia was also French 2nd tier I think when we signed him.

I've said before that imv the clubs infrastructure is as good now as its ever been. We have professional people in high level positions and whole experience of attending AG is greater that I can ever remember.

its the performances and results on the pitch that ultimately matter of course and flirting with the DZ last caused otib to go into meltdown but I saw enough evidence to feel confident that a decent season next time is not too much to expect.

Sure, it looks as if we've lost Tammy but City have lost strikers many times before and it's never really effected things too much and I sure that MA and LJ along with coaching team are searching all over Europe for quality players - just as pretty much all SBC clubs will be but the fact that City managed to secure Tammy from Chelsea with competition from other clubs says a lot about how good MA and LJs persuasion skills are.

Like it or not but SL has assured us that LJ is here long term and we can only hope that he's learnt a great deal from last seasons topsy turvy season.

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

I've said before that imv the clubs infrastructure is as good now as its ever been. We have professional people in high level positions and whole experience of attending AG is greater that I can ever remember.

its the performances and results on the pitch that ultimately matter of course and flirting with the DZ last caused otib to go into meltdown but I saw enough evidence to feel confident that a decent season next time is not too much to expect.

Sure, it looks as if we've lost Tammy but City have lost strikers many times before and it's never really effected things too much and I sure that MA and LJ along with coaching team are searching all over Europe for quality players - just as pretty much all SBC clubs will be but the fact that City managed to secure Tammy from Chelsea with competition from other clubs says a lot about how good MA and LJs persuasion skills are.

Like it or not but SL has assured us that LJ is here long term and we can only hope that he's learnt a great deal from last seasons topsy turvy season.

Without TA and under LJ we will be in the DZ again.

I think it's way too early to worry about things at the moment. The club knew after selling Kodjia and Tammy starting so well that we would need a replacement come the summer. The forwards bought in the January window were more panic buys (still think they are good squad players). I'm sure that LJ and MA have been searching for a Tammy replacement since the window so have a little bit more time and I have faith in them to pull off a good signing. It was them who signed Tammy after all. All the players mentioned by the OP would be a loss but not irreplaceable in my opinion. 

24 minutes ago, Super said:

Without TA and under LJ we will be in the DZ again.

We didn't have Tammy and we did have LJ the season before last, so I'm not sure how you can be so definite when making such a statement..?

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think it's a jokey reply to Robbored's excessive use of acronyms!

It's not. It's just another pop at LJ. 

I was just interested where his certainty comes from when that exact scenario has happened and we weren't relegated. 

57 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Is it me or does this kind of post appear at the beginning of every June? Maybe it's boredom that causes the concern?

After a (another) year of relegation fight , and then having your best players linked with other clubs it's hardly surprising . But I do hate this period , bluff, double bluff and bollox :facepalm:

2 hours ago, Suffolk Red said:

We do need a LB whatever happens. Joe isn't good enough (yet?) and looks far more comfortable further forward , can deliver a good cross and cut onto his right too.
If a Prem or ex Prem side comes in for Flint it'll be hard to stand in his way, and whoever comes in his 100% commitment will be hard to replace.

Few points, ...

If we are truly going for the top flight then we should not be selling our best players unless better are coming in.
You can't write off an MLS player just for the League he plays in, a few have made the grade here before.
Flint was a L1 player before he stepped up , no reason another can't. 
I don't know either player but I'll wait until (if firstly we sign them then ) I actually see them play. 
I think a lot of our recruitment has been good, on a player by player basis. What I'm not so sure about is the make up of a team shape and system BEFORE the players were chosen.
Did the 'group' sit and discuss the way we were going to play , then choose players who they thought would fit that system? I have my doubts.
Hopefully lessons will have been learned , and we will get in the players to fill problem areas, rather than buy someone because of a perceived sell on value.

1 hour ago, ashton_fan said:

I wouldn't be at all worried if we had Magners and Wright at CB. The new lad would probably be the reserve. It's very early yet, plenty of time to get a Tammy replacement.

I would, we already suffered last season here, that would be even worse without Flint. As much as I like Magnusson I worry he doesn't have the toughness to compete at this level.I suspect LJ is of the same opinion which is why he was benched in the run in. This is one area we need to tighten up on, without Tammy's goals we have to offset that by not conceding as many as last term. To me this takes priority over everything

In recent seasons we've had to find replacements for, Maynard, Steve Davies  Baldock (26goals), JET & Matt Smith (25 goals), Kodjia (20goals) and now Tammy. Say what you want about the club but who ever is scouting strikers seem to be doing a decent enough job

I think Magnusson with the guile and Wright with the grit would work pretty well as a centre back pairing and with Taylor Moore who was apparently very good at Bury as back up that is one area I am not to concerned about .

The one thing we do need is an injection of pace in this squad so a  right back ,striker and right winger all with a bit of pace would be priority for me.

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Surprised Bryan got a mention there. He's shit apparently :facepalm: More surprised he's not been slagged off yet!

Not saying you said so, but there's a contingent who'd suggest he's not good on otib. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Not concerned btw. Enjoy your 'summer'!!

JB's a good player, but much harder for him to show it when LJ insists on not playing him in his best position.

5 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

JB's a good player, but much harder for him to show it when LJ insists on not playing him in his best position.

Agree also think depending who he had playing in front of him he was left pretty exposed at time's.

6 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

What would you say is his best position?

LB suits him fine. He's got great energy, aggression and pace. Sometimes his positional sense could be better but that would come with time and experienced. The pace/energy side tends to make up for positional matters. He's also surprisingly good in the air, which is also advantageous as a lot of teams like to play their bigger striker off the full back.

Along with being good in the air, he can win the ball and is a quality crosser. Playing with Pato on the left looks as good as we've had for many years.

2 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

What would you say is his best position?

LB suits him fine. He's got great energy, aggression and pace. Sometimes his positional sense could be better but that would come with time and experienced. The pace/energy side tends to make up for positional matters. He's also surprisingly good in the air, which is also advantageous as a lot of teams like to play their bigger striker off the full back.

Along with being good in the air, he can win the ball and is a quality crosser. Playing with Pato on the left looks as good as we've had for many years.

I will expect O Dowda to improve again this season becoming more aware of his responsibilities defensively and offensively, he showed glimpses last season of what he has but expect him to be more consistent this season with a little more experience, O Dowda and Pato could be a big players for us moving forwards.

Archived