IGNORED

Nigel Owens

22A

Not a footballer, but a rugby Ref. England have won a thrilling rugby match in Argentina tonight. At one point the Ref, Nigel Owens, thought there had been a knock on and stopped the game. he then realised there hadn't been, so he turned round to both teams "My mistake, I apologise" As the Argies had been attacking at the time he restarted the game with a scrum and their put in. Both teams accepted the apology and the restart. Has any other Ref admitted a mistake during the game?

Has any football Ref ever admitted a mistake during a game? I believe some have done so afterwards.

Considering the age and lack of experience of the England team that was one of the great performances 

Nigel Owens is the best rugby ref in the world, if only football had referees that were as respected because of the way they interact on the pitch

3 minutes ago, INCRED said:

Considering the age and lack of experience of the England team that was one of the great performances 

Nigel Owens is the best rugby ref in the world, if only football had referees that were as respected because of the way they interact on the pitch

I think they used to have one when Pierluigi Colina was around.

Anyway no argument with the general point, a clampdown on cheating of every kind (diving, dissent, feigning injury) would be the best thing FIFA could do.

5 minutes ago, INCRED said:

No doubt at all about Owens being the prince of referees but the respect shown by the players is an integral part of rugby from grass roots level.

Sadly the same respect for referees doesn't exist in our game.

FIFA could learn a huge amount from rugby and introduce some of the same rules as they do, including only the captain can speak to the referee.

Just now, Robbored said:

No doubt at all about Owens being the prince of referees but the respect shown by the players is an integral part of rugby from grass roots level.

FIFA could learn a huge amount from rugby and introduce some of the same rules as they do, including only the captain can speak to the referee.

Never happen, Fifa are to far up their own ass  and to busy paying themselves backhanders to listen to what supporters actually want,

28 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The ref's also have to earn there respect in football IMO

they don't communicate anywhere near as much as they should

32 minutes ago, gordie said:

Never happen, Fifa are to far up their own ass  and to busy paying themselves backhanders to listen to what supporters actually want,

That was definitely the case when FIFA was ruled by the currupt Blatter and his sidekick Platini.

I haven't seen or heard the same type of thing going on under the new boss - that's not to say it isn't happening of course.

52 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Did they not try that at some point within the last 2 or 3 years? I seem to remember something along those lines, but as usual with the overpaid primadonnas it seemed that there were 2 or 3 captains on the pitch per team, and they just carried on as normal surrounding the referees.

The problem is that there is too much money in football, the referees are scrutinised by every angle after the game, including by ex pro's, and not respected at all.

It also doesn't help that they change the rules slightly so often. The FA needs to inject more money into training referees and stamp down on the players/teams that surround them every time they get a free kick against them.

On the referees part, some need to stop thinking they're royalty, and stop mixing with players as they're coming out as if they're best mates.

9 minutes ago, Taz said:

Did they not try that at some point within the last 2 or 3 years? I seem to remember something along those lines, but as usual with the overpaid primadonnas it seemed that there were 2 or 3 captains on the pitch per team, and they just carried on as normal surrounding the referees.

They did trial the 10 yard penalty for dissent but that didn't work out. They're also considering a type of sin-bin but only for dissent and not necessarily for 10mins.

I haven't heard of any other rugbyesque rules being trialled in football. 

11 hours ago, Midred said:

Can you imagine the reaction of some of the precious footballers?!

Exactly. That's probably the reason why it would be difficult to do this sort of thing in football 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

That was definitely the case when FIFA was ruled by the currupt Blatter and his sidekick Platini.

I haven't seen or heard the same type of thing going on under the new boss - that's not to say it isn't happening of course.

Infantino’s Fifa ‘incapacitated’ corruption fight, say ousted ethics chairmen

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/may/10/ousted-fifa-ethics-heads-investigating-hundreds-corruption-cases?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Nigel Owens is their 'Collina' as he's had and shoulders above anyone else in the game. In club games, admittedly on the tele, he's been known to call the two respective captains together and asked them to make the game ' a better spectacle'. Now to do that, it must show the respect he is held in within the game of rugby union.

I had the pleasure of hearing him give a motivational speech in London some time ago and he comes across as a really nice, down to earth bloke too, not a hint of arrogance about him and no lack of humour.

All strength to the fella as he's done it before, apologising after making an incorrect call. An absolutely superb official, right at the the top of his game.

His Best Moments, some great stuff there. He's also faced some tough times in his personal life as many of us may know. Came through those by accepting who he is & has, no doubt, gained even more respect by talking honestly, & publicly, about that. 

As for adopting rugby's best ideas: timekeeping, stopping the clock. It would end the "where did he get 6 mins added time from". Football's added time is so often controversial. Ask Sir Alex!

Archived