IGNORED

Penalty saves

BournemouthRed

Watching the young England keeper save a penalty in the U20 World Cup Final got me thinking about City keepers.

Has anyone got a breakdown of our penalty saves season-by-season? I recall Lucic saved one at Fulham in the Cup last year, were there any others in 16/17? I'm talking saves not off-target misses.

Obviously Steve Phillips at the Mem in 2001 must be our greatest of all time...?

Fielding has probably saved more penalties than he's conceded. 

In league one when he first signed he saved one vs Tomlin against Peterborough. 

15/16 I think he saved vs Huddersfield & Bolton 

16/17 he saved vs Barnsley, and didn't he save vs Reading but Mcleary scored the rebound?

Mike Gibson and Ray Cashley both saved pens on their debuts.

Ipswich failed to score from a pen against us at Portman Road for two consecutive seasons. 1990-91 goal keeper Sinclair was beaten, but Mark Aizlewood charged through the area, leaped acrobatically and palmed the ball over the bar! Thompson hit the resultant penalty high and wide of the goal. The following season a pen was awarded for a foul. Thompson stepped up and as he always did hit it with his left foot to our keeper's left. As Thompson always did that, the kick was saved.

I've asked before but in the late 60's /early 70's City at one stage had five goalies on their books, so some were loaned out. I feel sure I read in the EP that although they didn't all play for winning teams, one day all five saved penalties.

36 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Can't believe nobody's mentioned Andy Leaning yet...! 

**** you Holloway, you vile little tosser! 

Yep, a particular favourite of mine. Also Keith Waugh v Swindon, mid 80's in an FA Cup replay in front of the Park End.

8 hours ago, BournemouthRed said:

Watching the young England keeper save a penalty in the U20 World Cup Final got me thinking about City keepers.

Has anyone got a breakdown of our penalty saves season-by-season? I recall Lucic saved one at Fulham in the Cup last year, were there any others in 16/17? I'm talking saves not off-target misses.

Obviously Steve Phillips at the Mem in 2001 must be our greatest of all time...?

The Phillips save at the Mem was more important than a brilliantly saved penalty. I was there and if Flapper hadn't have saved it he'd have been pilloried.

It was a poorly taken effort tbf.

45 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The Phillips save at the Mem was more important than a brilliantly saved penalty. I was there and if Flapper hadn't have saved it he'd have been pilloried.

It was a poorly taken effort tbf.

Phillips' double save from a penalty against Everton was as good as any I can remember seeing. 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

I'm struggling to remember that. Flapper was a good shot stopper.

League cup match. Penalty was at the East End. A good save from the penalty, followed by an exceptional recovery & tip over from the follow up. 

13 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

Fielding has probably saved more penalties than he's conceded. 

In league one when he first signed he saved one vs Tomlin against Peterborough. 

First game I took Joe to.

15/16 I think he saved vs Huddersfield & Bolton 

16/17 he saved vs Barnsley, and didn't he save vs Reading but Mcleary scored the rebound?

Yep.

On Tuesday, June 13, 2017 at 08:03, Bar BS3 said:

Can't believe nobody's mentioned Andy Leaning yet...! 

**** you Holloway, you vile little tosser! 

That save was a great moment, and all the sweeter that it was Holloway who took the penalty. For a horrible moment when the ref gave the penalty it looked like they'd spawn another result against us like they did a few times in the 1980s.  Once Leaning saved it,  there was that feeling that we'd go on and win. Fabulous atmosphere and scenes in the East End that night, plus maybe it was the game that sparked the "Holloway - he gets the ball and he does **** all" chant?

On 13/06/2017 at 06:53, 22A said:

Mike Gibson and Ray Cashley both saved pens on their debuts.

Ipswich failed to score from a pen against us at Portman Road for two consecutive seasons. 1990-91 goal keeper Sinclair was beaten, but Mark Aizlewood charged through the area, leaped acrobatically and palmed the ball over the bar! Thompson hit the resultant penalty high and wide of the goal. The following season a pen was awarded for a foul. Thompson stepped up and as he always did hit it with his left foot to our keeper's left. As Thompson always did that, the kick was saved.

I've asked before but in the late 60's /early 70's City at one stage had five goalies on their books, so some were loaned out. I feel sure I read in the EP that although they didn't all play for winning teams, one day all five saved penalties.

Reference the last paragraph. From 1965 through to 1976, the following keepers were at City. If I've missed any then please correct.

Mike Gibson 1962-72

Bob Tooze 1965-69. Moved on to Shrewbury

Barry Watling 1967-69. Went to Notts County followed by Hartlepool, USA various clubs, and one game for Sheff Wed.

Bob Wardle 1972-74. He went on to Shrewsbury for ten years and then Liverpool but never made the first team at Anfield. Still remembered by Shrews fans as one of their best ever keepers.

Ray Cashley 1970-81

Len Bond 1970-77

John Shaw 1976-1985

So among these above, we definitely had at least four who all went on to play league football for City or other clubs. I've never heard of the tale of all saving pens on the same day but it could have happened. Remember no internet, no stats easily available. These were the Dark Ages!

Archived