IGNORED

Car advice

Ska Junkie

1 hour ago, TRL said:

I notice the Skoda yeti is not on here. Cracking car especially in 4x4 guise 

........ if you are a pensioner. 

Is the OP a pensioner??

The elephant in the room is the Seat Ateca - best small SUV by all accounts.

They are fairly new out, but you might squeak a used job for £15K.

tfj

P.S. It's not my Birthday - but it is someone elses, and they are getting zero attention - poor b******ds.

8 minutes ago, Taxi for Johnson said:

........ if you are a pensioner. 

Is the OP a pensioner??

The elephant in the room is the Seat Ateca - best small SUV by all accounts.

They are fairly new out, but you might squeak a used job for £15K.

tfj

P.S. It's not my Birthday - but it is someone elses, and they are getting zero attention - poor b******ds.

Not a pensioner yet TfJ, 15 years away if I make it that long.

I haven't found an Ateca in my price range yet but have driven one, a very impressive car to be fair. The problem with test driving new cars is you have to throw a double 6 to get away from the poxy salesman. They certainly want their pound of flesh before you can get away. I don't want HP or PCP, I know what I can afford and won't spend any more than that but salesmen don't seem to understand that.

Just now, Ska Junkie said:

Not a pensioner yet TfJ, 15 years away if I make it that long.

I haven't found an Ateca in my price range yet but have driven one, a very impressive car to be fair. The problem with test driving new cars is you have to throw a double 6 to get away from the poxy salesman. They certainly want their pound of flesh before you can get away. I don't want HP or PCP, I know what I can afford and won't spend any more than that but salesmen don't seem to understand that.

Like I said - if it was not so HOT, and my Birthday, I would come and help you with this.

Instead I offer written and moral advice.

:fingerscrossed:

tfj

52 minutes ago, Taxi for Johnson said:

Like I said - if it was not so HOT, and my Birthday, I would come and help you with this.

Instead I offer written and moral advice.

:fingerscrossed:

tfj

Gonna keep trying a few out I think and wait until we've had our holiday in July. Drove a friends 1.4 turbo zafira today to see what the engine was like and it was surprisingly poky for a 1.4, I was genuinely surprised. After so many company cars and flying up and down the motorways all day for years, I was convinced a diesel was the way to go but for a personal use car, i'm not so sure now. Going through this thread, there are people that like a certain car and equally people who think that same car isn't so good so I take it as they're much of a muchness.

Lots of good deals about so I'll shop around and see if I can get an ex demo one. I'm in a nice position that I'm in no rush.

Thanks for the advice all.:thumbsup:

If you can hold on a little longer, the trade picks up for the new plate in September; they get a lot less customers in that run-up so the salespeople are often rather twitchy about being lumbered with too much stock then. Give them a chance to make you a better offer in July/August.

Have a Sportage, love it. Loads of room, cracking to drive! 

When we were looking salesman geezer told us the Sportage and the Hyundai IX35 came out the same factory and were basically the same car, engine component, electrical wise etc. Just said getting the same build quality for a few grand cheaper! Mrs preferred the shape of the Sportage so that was that :laugh:! 

21 hours ago, Erithacus said:

If you can hold on a little longer, the trade picks up for the new plate in September; they get a lot less customers in that run-up so the salespeople are often rather twitchy about being lumbered with too much stock then. Give them a chance to make you a better offer in July/August.

Or conversely wait till November/December when sales are lower and you can get some really good deals.

12 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Or conversely wait till November/December when sales are lower and you can get some really good deals.

OR.

Stick your name down for a new Jaguar E Pace (being unveiled on 13th July).

Expect to pay upwards of £28K - so just put the rest on your credit card.

Lots of street cred and will hold its value brilliantly as a fresh model.

tfj

On ‎20‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 17:37, Robbored said:

I've owned many cars over many years Tone but never a Hillman Minx. I did own an Avenger back in 80s tho......lovely looking car but a heap of junk ultimately.

My Dad bought a Hillman Minx and kept it for about a month before declaring it a pile of shite and selling it.

17 minutes ago, BigTone said:

My Dad bought a Hillman Minx and kept it for about a month before declaring it a pile of shite and selling it.

No doubt you'll remember the Hillman Imp.

A pal of mine had one and loved it. I had lifts in it and went like a rocket. It was a flimsy build and pretty light so even with a small cc engine it was pretty quick.

Id imagine a restored Imp would be worth a bit these days,

22 hours ago, Taxi for Johnson said:

OR.

Stick your name down for a new Jaguar E Pace (being unveiled on 13th July).

Expect to pay upwards of £28K - so just put the rest on your credit card.

Lots of street cred and will hold its value brilliantly as a fresh model.

tfj

Looks a bit like a pimped up Rover 25 to me from the first shots.

Hopefully, interior space will be better than F Pace, which is 'snug'.

If you're going down the 28k route, the Volvo XC40 and BMW X2 might be better bets  - both out later this year.

25 minutes ago, Robbored said:

A pal of mine had one and loved it. I had lifts in it and went like a rocket. It was a flimsy build and pretty light so even with a small cc engine it was pretty quick.

Our neighbour had an Imp and it was cool. Worth circa £6k on eBay.

9 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Our neighbour had an Imp and it was cool. Worth circa £6k on eBay.

My brother was an Imp nut for a while (just a nut now), and used get the engine out of his Singer Chamois singlehandedly, with ease. Was basically a Coventry Climax engine, from a fire pump.

7 minutes ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

My brother was an Imp nut for a while (just a nut now), and used get the engine out of his Singer Chamois singlehandedly, with ease. Was basically a Coventry Climax engine, from a fire pump.

The engine was made of aluminium which was why the Imp was so light and quick. 

6 minutes ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

TfJ has a car for sale. One of those circus clown cars, with the exploding exhaust and wings that fall off.

It's worth a small fortune - you can't get them for gold dust.

:yes:

tfj

14 hours ago, Robbored said:

My first car was a Hillman Imp. Being so very light it would bounce all over the road. Bought a bag of cement and put it in the boot to weigh it down a bit. Think it had an aluminium engine which also kept it light. As you say it was surprisingly quick for a small car. Got hit by a car when parked and it disintegrated around me. Fun days.

On 23/06/2017 at 08:49, Moor2Sea said:

Looks a bit like a pimped up Rover 25 to me from the first shots.

Hopefully, interior space will be better than F Pace, which is 'snug'.

If you're going down the 28k route, the Volvo XC40 and BMW X2 might be better bets  - both out later this year.

Waiting for the XC40, but have been told it's now next year before it will appear and then only limited engines at first. Loved my V40 and would recommend to anyone. Zero VED as well. Volvo are now talking about a 20 series range including an XC20 in a couple of years.

For nearly new cars always check carwow.

On 20/06/2017 at 17:17, richwwtk said:

Never had one myself, but know several people that have had a Qashquai and all got rid as soon as they could.

Not surprised. Some of the Qashquai's can be well loaded with extras. Plenty to go wrong and unfortunately, there are many which have expensive issues which owners can't afford.

Goes to say that if you're going to purchase a car, make sure you've done some homework cus' if it goes wrong, can you afford to maintain it?!

Working in the trade myself, I spent some time doing some work in a Nissan dealer and literally every vehicle in the workshop was a Qashquai during the whole time I was there. Asked a couple techs about them and they said they're riddled with issues.

Not trying to scare owners/potential owners, but it may be of use to share the info :thumbsup:

If you know someone who works in the trade, especially those in franchised dealers, see what intel you can get. 

A lot of people in particular would say good things about Hyundai's; coming from those working at Hyundai dealers.

Archived