IGNORED

Home Friendly

Ashton_Red

2 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

Actually, even without that element, it'll still be amazing to see. Judging by videos, they go to town with flags, banners, streamers, surfers. I've even seen a guy with a speaker and microphone at the front, facing the crowd, and basically keeping the crowd hyped by continuously starting chants.

Why can't we do that?

From attending various games in Germany, this is commonplace. Smaller clubs like St Pauli do it with 3 or 4 blokes at the front of the Ultra pen while Dortmund do it with 4 or 5 blokes on cherry pickers in front of the simply awesome Sud Tribune, better known as the Yellow wall. If the game is rubbish, it's entertaining to watch how they orchestrate things, it's superbly planned and nobody just 'starts a chant' in Germany like they do here, it all comes from the leaders.

The daft thing is, our friends from BvB love the passion of the English game yet they follow the best supported side in Europe! 

1 minute ago, Ska Junkie said:

From attending various games in Germany, this is commonplace. Smaller clubs like St Pauli do it with 3 or 4 blokes at the front of the Ultra pen while Dortmund do it with 4 or 5 blokes on cherry pickers in front of the simply awesome Sud Tribune, better known as the Yellow wall. If the game is rubbish, it's entertaining to watch how they orchestrate things, it's superbly planned and nobody just 'starts a chant' in Germany like they do here, it all comes from the leaders.

The daft thing is, our friends from BvB love the passion of the English game yet they follow the best supported side in Europe! 

The difference is spontaneity.

From speaking to a number of supporters of Turkish clubs, all of whom create a far better atmosphere than ours, they like the spontaneity of the chants in English football, compared to the choreographedness of, using your example, Dortmund.

Can't say I disagree with them either.

9 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

From speaking to a number of supporters of Turkish clubs, all of whom create a far better atmosphere than ours, they like the spontaneity of the chants in English football, compared to the choreographedness of, using your example, Dortmund.

Very true James. It's an incredible sight regardless although I prefer our way of doing things.

6 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

A 'far better atmosphere' is totally subjective though. To me, the Playoff games vs Palace, or a European night at Anfield / Celtic Park would be a better atmosphere than the games I've watched in Turkey.

Its impressive how European sides keep a constant level of noise and apparent enthusiasm when the game isn't always great, but I think at its best - an atmosphere at a British game is better. I find all the choreographed stuff a bit contrived and lacking in imagination.

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

A 'far better atmosphere' is totally subjective though. To me, the Playoff games vs Palace, or a European night at Anfield / Celtic Park would be a better atmosphere than the games I've watched in Turkey.

Its impressive how European sides keep a constant level of noise and apparent enthusiasm when the game isn't always great, but I think at its best - an atmosphere at a British game is better. I find all the choreographed stuff a bit contrived and lacking in imagination.

Fair point, and agree about the choreographed stuff.

But as a general rule, I would say the atmosphere was better.

We (City) have had a handful of games in my lifetime where the atmosphere came close to (or surpassed) the one I experienced at Ali Sami Yen, which was a game in the middle of February against a mid-table side, in a season where Galatasarays title hopes were already shattered.

Cannot speak as a general rule, and I know they have games where someone conducts them (for lack of a better work) but I dont recall one at this game (albeit 10 years ago) and the bank I was on only shut up when waiting for a response to this incredibly long chant that went between the home stands.

Turkey at it's best would probably be the best atmospheres in Europe IMO.

However, it isn't at its best. A League with major potential tbh as I am sure @JamesBCFC might concur. They have pretty small- to say the least- attendances in a lot of places now due to crowd restrictions. Basaksehir did pretty amazing things this year.

However as a League...passionate fans, shall we say intimidating atmospheres when on it, big cities= big potential fanbases. New modern grounds in a lot of places. On paper it has potential to be a seriously rising League. Beautiful landscape too Turkey, which maybe a draw for some players.

I digress, If I get the opp I would definitely go to games in Italy, Germany, a big side who isn't Barcelona or Madrid in Spain and indeed Turkey. Marseille in France too also.

Its going to be one of the biggest,richest,best supported clubs in the whole universe,step forward Bristol Rovers,jeez typing that name has made me feel dirty,I need to be hosed down.

3 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

If indeed a Turkish side then on a personal note I would hope Galatasaray. 'Tis the side my Turkish step-family support.

Went to their old stadium in 2007. Atmosphere was absolutely incredible. There was a cauldron of pyro in each corner of the ground between the pitch and the stand, the crowd was on it's feet bouncing non-stop and the players (specifically Mondragon, their goalkeeper at the time) practically jumped into the stand trying to hype the crowd up (as if it was needed).

There was little to no chance of pyro being taken into the ground by fans as there were 4 pat down searches on the way in, though my group specifically were allowed to bypass 3 of them on account of being English (well, two of us, but the whole group was ushered through).

There were some clever chaps outside the ground selling air horns, which were piled up when confiscated, the sellers would then take an air horn off the pile and sell it again!

On the other hand, would like us to face Fenerbahçe, as they are Galatasatays biggest rival.

Then again, I really like what Basaksehir have done since getting screwed by the council, they came 2 games away from the double this year and would have made Leceisters achievements look like they were handed the title on a silver platter.

It's not Galatasary. Or Basaksehir..! 

13 hours ago, Blagdon red said:

Good shout. A definite possible. 70th anniversary of the city twinning and all that. But, hey, let's see.

Also they are already in the UK as they will be playing Burnley in a repeat of a fixture from 50 years ago.

Have a guess who else they faced home and away in '66 and '67?

Of course I would post that just as the Twente fixture hits the website.

1 minute ago, Marty said:

Why FC Twente then?

Do we have strong links with the club or is it part of a possible deal?

I don't think we have any ties with them but I remember LJ saying he was going up to Manchester City after the season ended and they have ties with FC Twente. Could be something there but purely speculation.

8 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I don't really follow European football.

Is this good or bad news and should I be impressed?

No idea. I looked at the Turkish league table for last season and couldn't find them.

Archived