IGNORED

International Cricket

Monkeh

4 minutes ago, B1ackbird said:

Hick was similar years ago, bags of runs in the CC Then would fail at Test level, over and over again..

I've seen a few people make that comparison, it seems spot on though, sadly. Runs in county cricket aren't everything, the likes of Trescothick, Vaughan and Root didn't have a particularly great record before they got selected but it's as much about temperament and technique as anything else.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, hodge said:

It was half a seam from being inline, in the split second Jennings had to react to the ball its very hard for him to know that its pitched half a seam outside the line, all the ball had to do with be a fraction further over and hit the stump by the smallest amount and he'd have stayed out. Blame if anything lies with Ballance as he should have given him the biggest indication.

But Jennings should also be aware of where the ball pitched, as the batsman facing.

The only defence of Ballance is the fact that he was the other side of the wicket from where the ball pitched, so would have far less of an idea of where the ball pitched compared to Jennings!!

From Jennings point of view, there was so little going for the ball (more than enough doubt) that he should of known there were a couple of reasons to doubt the decision & if he had appealed & got it wrong, the team would just put it down to a lack of experience / nerves & advised him regarding future situations.

Jennings lack of appeal could of cost England massively, especially looking at the current situation.

As for Ballance, he's under huge self-imposed pressure to succeed & to prove that he deserves to be out there (which is very debatable in my view) & will result in him making more rash decisions than anyone else because ultimately he's in it for himself at this stage of his England career.

Well that was a much better afternoon session, helped by the South African's lack of discipline from the bowlers.

How much longer can we afford to lose 2, 3 or 4 batsman cheaply at the start of an innings though? Surely there'll come a time when the middle order will struggle?

19 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

More indiscipline from the South African bowlers letting us off the hook!!

How or why does a spinner no-ball via his front foot? It should never happen especially at test match level.

Shocking umpiring as well.

6 minutes ago, Super said:

Shocking umpiring as well.

Trouble is, the umpires rely on the technology to get them out of the shit more often than not now.

They went through a stage where they were basically ignoring front foot no-balls & then allowing the third umpire to review things if a wicket fell but the problem was, how many runs did teams miss out because of it?

I think they have realised that they were missing things & have tried correcting things now but they are still relying on technology too much, in my view.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Pisspoor over rate. And I doubt England will be much better tomorrow either. 

Short changing the public who've paid a lot of money. 

Tbf they were only 3 overs short of what they should have been in the end, considering they were 5 behind at lunch. 

3 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

More indiscipline from the South African bowlers letting us off the hook!!

How or why does a spinner no-ball via his front foot? It should never happen especially at test match level.

Shouldnt happen full stop 

No reason to over step what so ever (Bar brown envelopes full of cash)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hodge said:

Tbf they were only 3 overs short of what they should have been in the end, considering they were 5 behind at lunch. 

They did use the extra 30 mins to bowl some extra overs and were still 3 overs short.

Personally would like to see times dicked runs for slow over rate. If by 6 your 8 overs short then other team get 5 runs per over meaning 40 runs. Only decided at end of day by 3rd umpire,match ref, in case of mitigating circumstances.

44 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

They did use the extra 30 mins to bowl some extra overs and were still 3 overs short.

Personally would like to see times dicked runs for slow over rate. If by 6 your 8 overs short then other team get 5 runs per over meaning 40 runs. Only decided at end of day by 3rd umpire,match ref, in case of mitigating circumstances.

Great idea but  unfortunately the ICC are notoriously reluctant to change anything.............:sleeping:

The Sky pundits were discussing the slow over rate and various ideas about how to improve it and then Nasser asked why the rate had often become so slow when in the past it wasn't an issue. Good question.......

4 hours ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Fair enough I just went off the scorecard

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

Great minds mate!

Unfortunately it hasn't happened & we've gone back to trying to rely on a more or less non existent reverse swing, when in my view Ali should be on as the wicket is clearly spinning.

It's as if we have this game plan put in stone, that come the last hour or so of play in the day, we have to play for reverse swing.

And as I type this, Anderson strikes although the umpire didn't seem so convinced.

This Dawson wicket really does ask some questions, the old way of batting & umpiring is that if the batsman has a 'good stride' in or has 'danced' down the wicket, he's unlikely to be given out as there is 'enough doubt'.

Umpires seldom gave lbw for such an appeal but now with the 'third umpire', the bowling team can appeal for anything & have that doubt taken away.

If I'm honest, I'm not sure how I feel about this development. The doubt has now been taken away from the game (as long as you still have appeals available) & that has been a huge part of the game & while it might help in village / club cricket, to stop a 'homer' umpire from cheating, the technology isn't available at that level so those who 'cheat' at grass roots level can continue too.

In the professional game, it will maybe stop batsmen from having that security of a 'big stride' or 'dancing down the wicket', it just seems to of taken the history of batting to another level as such.