IGNORED

International Cricket

Monkeh

I'm actually on the side of the players in this. The test players are sacrificing potential revenue at the expense of protecting their colleagues lower down in shield cricket. With only 6 first class sides the pool of players is actually quite small and it will be very difficult to retain players if they can't earn a reasonable living at Shield level. The game is already losing plenty of talent to the AFL (can't speak for the NRL, don't live in a rugby league state) and this won't help matters.

However, both sides digging their heels in could be very damaging. As you say, CA have shot themselves in the foot by making all the players unemployed in the middle of a discussion period. They've also threatened anyone who plays in a overseas T20 while unemployed with a ban which is just adding more fuel to the fire.

As it's the middle of AFL/NRL season the media haven't gone big on it yet. If the whole thing isn't sorted by finals time (Sept/Oct) things could start getting very nasty indeed.

(Obviously this is all great for England :-) )

21 minutes ago, BS5_RED said:

I'm actually on the side of the players in this. The test players are sacrificing potential revenue at the expense of protecting their colleagues lower down in shield cricket. With only 6 first class sides the pool of players is actually quite small and it will be very difficult to retain players if they can't earn a reasonable living at Shield level. The game is already losing plenty of talent to the AFL (can't speak for the NRL, don't live in a rugby league state) and this won't help matters.

However, both sides digging their heels in could be very damaging. As you say, CA have shot themselves in the foot by making all the players unemployed in the middle of a discussion period. They've also threatened anyone who plays in a overseas T20 while unemployed with a ban which is just adding more fuel to the fire.

As it's the middle of AFL/NRL season the media haven't gone big on it yet. If the whole thing isn't sorted by finals time (Sept/Oct) things could start getting very nasty indeed.

(Obviously this is all great for England :-) )

I want to see the best from one country against the best from another so hope they sort it quickly.  Also not happy at Rabada ban from second test.  Test match cricket doesn't do itself any favours sometimes. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, RedDave said:

I want to see the best from one country against the best from another so hope they sort it quickly.  Also not happy at Rabada ban from second test.  Test match cricket doesn't do itself any favours sometimes. 

Totally agree Dave. It would be bad for everyone if England end up playing against a load of dirt trackers. Who wants to see that? It'd be hard to get motivated for or take much pleasure from winning that as well I imagine.

6 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Totally agree Dave. It would be bad for everyone if England end up playing against a load of dirt trackers. Who wants to see that? It'd be hard to get motivated for or take much pleasure from winning that as well I imagine.

Why is it though that I would be delighted if Barnsley's best player couldn't play in a few weeks??  Funny that attitudes change across sports 

8 hours ago, RedDave said:

I have split views on this post.....

I agree with the first comment but not with the last one.

In the Rabada case - his ban is quite right in my view. The "send off " he gave was an abusive one and he has a history of similar antics in other first class cricket. The ICC can't be seen to be inactive and had to act and send out a clear message to uphold the "spirit of the game".

30 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Why is it though that I would be delighted if Barnsley's best player couldn't play in a few weeks??  Funny that attitudes change across sports 

It is. If the team City or Munster were playing next lost their three best players to (short-term) injuries or suspensions I wouldn't mind at all. I think that if a whole team was gone because of a contractual dispute it'd be different though.

14 hours ago, RedDave said:

5 hours ago, RedDave said:

Was going to post exactly this. Cricket is for 'gentlemen' though I suppose. Best XI vs best XI. I'd rather we played the best Aussie team and lost 5-0 than play an almost novelty XI and won.  

23 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Was going to post exactly this. Cricket is for 'gentlemen' though I suppose. Best XI vs best XI. I'd rather we played the best Aussie team and lost 5-0 than play an almost novelty XI and won.  

End of the day for cricket there is no league that overly matters, yes there are rankings and bragging rights winning a series, but how much does winning/losing a series matter? It's generally 'oh well onto the next one', whereas Football a lot more rides on each game. 

45 minutes ago, hodge said:

End of the day for cricket there is no league that overly matters, yes there are rankings and bragging rights winning a series, but how much does winning/losing a series matter? It's generally 'oh well onto the next one', whereas Football a lot more rides on each game. 

I'm sure talking sense is against the forum rules.

35 minutes ago, Super said:

Poor bowling that session. Stokes bowling isn't as good as what people think.

I have been saying this for ages... Long before 'that' T20 over. His record is very impressive but his bowling is genuinely shoddy at best... 

Broad just picked up Amla... Important hour coming up.

• Like 1

On 13/07/2017 at 22:27, Welcome To The Jungle said:

and lost 5-0

Not if you lived here you wouldn't.

The last series was an utter disgrace, completely humiliating.

I called 5-0 after watching them in the nets before day 2 in Adelaide. KP was taking throw downs and not a single English player was talking to him.

I'm not saying we'd have won that series. Mitchell Johnson was bowling like a man posssesed - I had the dubious pleasure of watching all of his wickets from behind the arm - some of the best bowling I've ever seen live

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzhzQiW4rtY 

but It was obvious something was seriously wrong with that squad.

Don't get me wrong. I love cricket. I want the best XI's to play each other.  BUT if we have to play a team consisting of failed state players I'd take it.

9 hours ago, hodge said:

Matters a lot to people who love the sport, the same as any sport.  I understand why people don't get the enjoyment of cricket. For me it's the best sport in the world 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hodge said:

But at least cricket is played at all levels & is competed between different countries & isn't decided so much on the basis of who has the most money.

And effectively, there is a format for just about anyone to enjoy unlike the majority of other sports.

On saying that, I can understand why some people might not like cricket or even understand it, each to their own.

I played cricket from the age of 8 till last year so big fan of it myself, but I'd still stand by saying each test match, odi, t20 match matters less/has less riding on it than an individual football match. Obviously when you get to series deciders they do but until then? Not so sure.

1 hour ago, hodge said:

I played cricket from the age of 8 till last year so big fan of it myself, but I'd still stand by saying each test match, odi, t20 match matters less/has less riding on it than an individual football match. Obviously when you get to series deciders they do but until then? Not so sure.

The 40th match of the season when you are 14th, miles off promotion and relegation, does it make it irrelevant?  I'd say not as I go to be entertained.  I know I'm in the minority but I'm not even that bothered about getting promoted! 

• Like 1