IGNORED

International Cricket

Monkeh

180 all out by teatime tomorrow. Our lot have neither the attitude or the technique to bat for 2 days in a situation like this, with the exception of Cook and Root.

Credit to South Africa for how they batted today. Isn't it amazing what happens when a side applies themselves properly and isn't thinking that they have to score at 4 an over?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

180 all out by teatime tomorrow. Our lot have neither the attitude or the technique to bat for 2 days in a situation like this, with the exception of Cook and Root.

Credit to South Africa for how they batted today. Isn't it amazing what happens when a side applies themselves properly and isn't thinking that they have to score at 4 an over?

Add to that a deterioration of the wicket and you have a SA levelling the series.

If England can scrape a draw I'll be amazed,

On 15/07/2017 at 08:11, RedDave said:

The 40th match of the season when you are 14th, miles off promotion and relegation, does it make it irrelevant?  I'd say not as I go to be entertained.  I know I'm in the minority but I'm not even that bothered about getting promoted! 

In the scheme of things yes, given that if you finish a few places apart you're potentially starting to look at hundreds of thousands of pounds difference in winnings for league position, maybe getting towards millions. 

Prediction time: Cook and Jennings out by lunch with Ballance falling either just before or after lunch. Root and Bairstow to play like it is a ODI with a similar run-rate and to put on at least 75 between them but will fall before tea. The rest to fall before the Close Of Play with only Stokes and Ali making double figures, but less than 50 between them.

Or, Cook bats all day, Jennings lasts till just before lunch, with Ballance going just after Lunch. Root makes it to Close of play, England 345-2.

18 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Time we started picking the best Test team, not the highest scoring batsmen from the County Championship. Jennings and Ballance can hit the county bowlers around but they do not have the ability to stick in the crease for a long session at the highest level. 

Ian Bell is still better than the pair of them.

Just now, Northern Red said:

I'm not convinced by Jennings but he's played 3 Tests and got a hundred in the first one. They aren't dropping him yet.

Followed by a 2 ball duck, that pitch was unlike anything I've seen in Mumbai - even Yadav hit a ton. Only got double figures twice in last 7 inns.

Just now, Northern Red said:

I'm not convinced by Jennings but he's played 3 Tests and got a hundred in the first one. They aren't dropping him yet.

Not the purpose of an opener though imo. Your openers need to be patient and intelligent players. They need to get us through the new ball and earn their runs at a slow pace, gradually building. Part of this is consistency. If you can rely on your openers to wear the ball in, your lower order can earn the big runs easier.Jennings shows none of these traits, with is only real consistency is earning single digit scores. He may be better suited lower down the order, but a Test opener he is not.  

2 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Not the purpose of an opener though imo. Your openers need to be patient and intelligent players. They need to get us through the new ball and earn their runs at a slow pace, gradually building. Part of this is consistency. If you can rely on your openers to wear the ball in, your lower order can earn the big runs easier.Jennings shows none of these traits, with is only real consistency is earning single digit scores. He may be better suited lower down the order, but a Test opener he is not.  

I wouldn't disagree with any of that, I just don't think they'll bin him after 3 Tests.

I think the original plan was to bat him at 3 with Cook and Hameed opening, but Hameed's lack of runs this season put paid to that. 

2 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Time we started picking the best Test team, not the highest scoring batsmen from the County Championship. Jennings and Ballance can hit the county bowlers around but they do not have the ability to stick in the crease for a long session at the highest level. 

I'd play Hales.  He is a little erratic but with him there is the prospect of him going big every now and then and grabbing control of the game early.  Also need to get Root in at 3 to change the succession of early left handers. 2 of them can't cope with either Morkel or Philander not to mention Rabada returning for the next game. South Africa will be stronger in all 3 departments in the next test.  That Olivier looks like he was dragged out the pub, has borrowed some whites and is basking in a bit of reflective glory...