IGNORED

International Cricket

Monkeh

Great performance today, bit of rotation for the last test? Windies look like they'll need it certainly but for us Stokes to need a rest? Couldn't finish an over so I'd let him rest up. Last test I'd go like this, I know Archer has apologised but potentially miss out the last game to emphasise how big a deal it was (partly because I also can't work out who to drop haha) Woakes/Curran provide batting ability to make up for losing Stokes, need Curran's variation, Woakes' record in England is superb, Anderson HAS to play one game at Old Trafford and good luck telling Broad he's left out after turning this game for us.

1. Sibley
  2. Burns
  3. Crawley
  4. Root
  5. Pope
  6. Buttler
  7. Woakes
  8. Curran
  9. Bess
  10. Broad
  11. Anderson
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Great performance today, bit of rotation for the last test? Windies look like they'll need it certainly but for us Stokes to need a rest? Couldn't finish an over so I'd let him rest up. Last test I'd go like this, I know Archer has apologised but potentially miss out the last game to emphasise how big a deal it was (partly because I also can't work out who to drop haha) Woakes/Curran provide batting ability to make up for losing Stokes, need Curran's variation, Woakes' record in England is superb, Anderson HAS to play one game at Old Trafford and good luck telling Broad he's left out after turning this game for us.

1. Sibley
  2. Burns
  3. Crawley
  4. Root
  5. Pope
  6. Buttler
  7. Woakes
  8. Curran
  9. Bess
  10. Broad
  11. Anderson

Stokes will play even if it's just as a batsman. Leach may get the nod ahead of Bess. No idea what they'll do with the fast bowlers, I expect Jimmy will come in but who knows after that.

1 minute ago, Northern Red said:

Stokes will play even if it's just as a batsman. Leach may get the nod ahead of Bess. No idea what they'll do with the fast bowlers, I expect Jimmy will come in but who knows after that.

The last comment is why I think Stokes will get a rest ahead of Pakistan series we work on a 4 seam attack, Stokes not being able to bowl really damages that, only way I'd see him being batsman only would be moving up to 3 and Crawley dropping out

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

What does Leach bring ahead of  Bess?

I can’t see that there’s much between them.

Potentially a more attacking option of turning the ball away from right handers, especially if Curran is playing so out of his footmarks and Old Trafford turning a lot

5 minutes ago, TomF said:

I wouldn’t say he had a great test, only marked up a bit with last two wickets 

No not great like Stokes was but decent enough. Tied up one end and allowed the seamers to toil away.

I think it was Keys who said that Bess should have been bowling from the other end to utilise the footmarks and that’s eventually where he took the final wicket from. 

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

I think it was Keys who said that Bess should have been bowling from the other end to utilise the footmarks and that’s eventually where he took the final wicket from

Key said Bess should have been bowling from the other end due to the lack of the large 'temporary' stand and the breeze it created across the ground, took the ball away from the right hander to then spin back 

:cool2:

• Thanks 1

Archer back in the squad for tomorrow, Bess keeps his place ahead of Leach.

England squad for final Test against West Indies: Joe Root (Yorkshire) captain, James Anderson (Lancashire), Jofra Archer (Sussex), Dominic Bess (Somerset), Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire), Rory Burns (Surrey), Jos Buttler (Lancashire), Zak Crawley (Kent), Sam Curran (Surrey), Ollie Pope (Surrey), Dom Sibley (Warwickshire), Ben Stokes (Durham), Chris Woakes (Warwickshire), Mark Wood (Durham).

6 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Archer back in the squad for tomorrow, Bess keeps his place ahead of Leach.

England squad for final Test against West Indies: Joe Root (Yorkshire) captain, James Anderson (Lancashire), Jofra Archer (Sussex), Dominic Bess (Somerset), Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire), Rory Burns (Surrey), Jos Buttler (Lancashire), Zak Crawley (Kent), Sam Curran (Surrey), Ollie Pope (Surrey), Dom Sibley (Warwickshire), Ben Stokes (Durham), Chris Woakes (Warwickshire), Mark Wood (Durham).

Looks like Stokes can’t bowl.  Pretty sure Anderson, Broad and Archer play. Then it’s either Bess or Wood.  

37 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

If Stokes can't bowl then I think Bess will miss out so they can play the extra seamer, probably Woakes.

I agree Bess will miss out but think it will be Wood. A left field strategy would be to drop Pope or Crawley and play a bowling attack of Curran, Woakes, Bess, Broad and Anderson.  Good bowling depth including a spinner and those first three are pretty good batsman too.  Probably too risky though. 

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

If Stokes can't bowl then I think Bess will miss out so they can play the extra seamer, probably Woakes.

Hard to see at Old Trafford to be honest, to be honest I'd drop Crawley. I'm really struggling to pick a bowling attack, Curran was useful and took wickets, plus he creates foot marks for Bess. Broad showed why he can't be dropped, Anderson HAS to play 1 game at Old Trafford which leaves a shoot out between Woakes and Archer, remember them saying on air something like Woakes has a better average then Broad/Anderson in England or something like it, was definitely about having some sort of better average than the two for something bowling wise. But do you then leave out Archer again? Do we need a quicker bowler at Old Trafford?

1. Burns
  2. Sibley
  3. Stokes
  4. Root
  5. Pope
  6. Buttler
  7. Curran
  8. Woakes/Archer
  9. Bess
  10. Broad
  11. Anderson