IGNORED

International Cricket

Monkeh

On 14/01/2021 at 05:57, Red Army 75 said:

What a beautiful old ground. Of work for next couple of months a lot of cricket to watch. Love it 

On 14/01/2021 at 09:12, Super said:

What a place to play cricket! Stunning.

On 14/01/2021 at 11:16, phantom said:

Looks a great location 

20210114_101259.jpg

Galle is, indeed, a most beautiful cricket ground located in a wonderful historic, picturesque town with really friendly people and exquisite cuisine - fresh fish and just about every fruit and vegetable you can think of, which sort of sums up Sri Lanka in general.

I have been fortunate to have visited the country, although, regrettably, not during the cricket season, and enjoyed a truly wonderful few days in what was then the New Oriental Hotel located within Galle Fort, which wasn't new at all but (Dutch) colonialism in all its splendour.

Some may have forgotten, but Galle Stadium was severely damaged in the 2004 tsunami.

Pictorial: Galle Test Ground after the Tsunami | Critiquing Cricket

After the flood: England witness a triumph of the spirit in Sri Lanka | The  Independent | The Independent

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Galle is, indeed, a most beautiful cricket ground located in a wonderful historic, picturesque town with really friendly people and exquisite cuisine - fresh fish and just about every fruit and vegetable you can think of, which sort of sums up Sri Lanka in general.

I have been fortunate to have visited the country, although, regrettably, not during the cricket season, and enjoyed a truly wonderful few days in what was then the New Oriental Hotel located within Galle Fort, which wasn't new at all but (Dutch) colonialism in all its splendour.

Some may have forgotten, but Galle Stadium was severely damaged in the 2004 tsunami.

After the flood: England witness a triumph of the spirit in Sri Lanka | The  Independent | The Independent

I’d absolutely love to go and watch England play a test here

• Like 1

Its not enough to  stop it from being out but other than to get in Root's way what is the bowler doing going towards the ball? Its 10 feet from the keeper so he's never getting there and would surely go to his own stumps to receive a throw for a run out attempt

47 minutes ago, Super said:

Good win against a pretty poor team. Leach win the spin battle?

Ye agree with that. Sri Lanka batted woefully in the first innings and gave some wickets away. Leach had to early his 5 in the second. Good to see to English spinners though with 5 a piece going into the really difficult India tour

On 16/01/2021 at 08:41, And Its Smith said:

The wife has agreed to this along with Cape Town and Trinidad.  Just need the kids to grow up now! 

On 16/01/2021 at 07:47, Rob k said:

I’d absolutely love to go and watch England play a test here

Galle is an amazing place to watch cricket, and even better you can stay down the coast in beautiful Unawatuna, just a short tuk tuk ride away. I'd imagine England won't be playing Test cricket there now until 2023/24.

I'd add Mumbai to the bucket-list. Just an incredible city, with amazing food, culture and sight-seeing. And the Wankhede stadium, even a third full with Kohli at the crease is an atmosphere to behold. 

Would like to do Windies for the cricket but having been to Barbados and Grenada off-season can confirm you're probably looking at £5k+ just for a week out there. That's the good thing about India/Sri Lanka; you're money goes a lot further! I turned up in Unawatuna without any digs booked and found a room for £1.50 a night. Things did get more expensive in Kandy - around £12 as I recall!

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Galle is an amazing place to watch cricket, and even better you can stay down the coast in beautiful Unawatuna, just a short tuk tuk ride away. I'd imagine England won't be playing Test cricket there now until 2023/24.

I'd add Mumbai to the bucket-list. Just an incredible city, with amazing food, culture and sight-seeing. And the Wankhede stadium, even a third full with Kohli at the crease is an atmosphere to behold. 

Would like to do Windies for the cricket but having been to Barbados and Grenada off-season can confirm you're probably looking at £5k+ just for a week out there. That's the good thing about India/Sri Lanka; you're money goes a lot further! I turned up in Unawatuna without any digs booked and found a room for £1.50 a night. Things did get more expensive in Kandy - around £12 as I recall!

Kandy is yet another beautiful Sri Lankan town.

Once more, I stayed in a lovely colonial hotel, ate wonderful food and even timed it perfectly in order to see the elephant ceremony.

No cricket, regrettably, but a lovely story about the golf - I’ll post again later.

Been dipping in and out of the varied series- for England and beyond.

Very good first 2 days in SL, they came back hard on Day 3 and 4- and had Bairstow been run out on the 4th evening, it could have been pretty tricky- SL tough in own conditions but we coped well- did well. They surely aren't the side they were though, SL- think say mid 1990s to late 2000's their golden generation? Jayusiriya, Attapatu, Sangakarra, Jayawardene in the batting alone! Murali, Vaas, Malinga amongst the pick bowling wise. Saw Dilshan play a brilliant Innings at Lords in 2011, but wasn't necessarily a mainstay? Certainly reasonable in middle order and seemed to work his way up it at times latterly.

New Zealand- been at it for a few years now, very positive brand of cricket. Ironically, they probably had better individuals in the early to mid 2000's in a number of positions...Fleming, McMillan, Astle, McCullum- Bond and Vettori the pace and spin respectively, though the first of those had questionable fitness- yet when I started following cricket from about 2005, to about 2013 they were quite a negative/cautious side. Now with arguably lesser individuals when taken 1-11, they seem more positive, more aggressive- front foot?- in their cricket. Williamson, Taylor, Southee very good though.

India in Australia...from 36 all out to giving a good strong run for their money in the 4th Test. They've had nearly as many injuries than we have atm! Kohli absent for reasons of wife giving birth IIRC, he's possibly their top batsman? Their attack- don't recognise any of them in this test! Sharma, Shami, Bumrah, Yadav, Ashwin- none of them there! Winning at MCG, always thought that was a bit of a fortress for Australia but maybe not so much in recent times? While Pant was in and firing, they had a reasonable chance at Sydney too. Edit, googled- Jadeja out too, for the final Test at Brisbane.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous