IGNORED

International Cricket

Monkeh

1 hour ago, Super said:

One of the great days of test match cricket. Managed to watch most of it. What an effort by India especially without Kohli.

Fair play, this has to rank as one of the greatest comebacks in cricket after the 36 all out in the first test. Made all the more sweet by the fact that it was against the at times despicable Aussies.

• Like 2

• Admin

Joe Root has thanked an England fan who waited in Sri Lanka for nearly a year to watch the team play, after England won the first Test of the series in Galle.

Rob Lewis, a web designer from Sunbury-on-Thames, first flew out to Sri Lanka on March 13 last year - discovering while he was on the plane that England's tour had been called off because of the coronavirus pandemic.

He stayed in the country, however, and was finally able to watch live from the historic Dutch fort adjoining the ground, 10 months later as England beat Sri Lanka by seven wickets.

With no fans allowed into the ground, Rob became "almost a beacon for everyone at home", said Root, who spoke to him on the phone following England's victory.

"Rob? Hello mate, how are you? It was nice to see you finally up on the fort," said the England captain.

"That's why I wanted to come over, on behalf of all the lads we really appreciate your support and it's an incredible story and journey that you've been on.

"More than anything, I just wanted to say a massive thank you, we really appreciate you being here and making the effort to come down and support us. It's nice for us to be able to celebrate together."

Rob, who had been shooed away by police after watching the first few balls of the match from the fort on the first day, was allowed back later and watched England clinch victory from the same spot.

"It's an incredible story. I read about it a little while back now. To see him struggle to get on the fort the first couple of days, then finally up there enjoying himself and getting to watch some cricket was fantastic," said Root.

"He was almost a beacon for everyone at home watching on the screens. We are very lucky to get the support we do everywhere in the world.

"It was nice that at the end of the game I managed to have a little conversation with him over the phone - lovely for him to enjoy that moment with the rest of the group."

"Joe Root saluted me when he got his double ton. Just the realisation it wasn't to a group of people, it was just me, was very surreal - a little moment I'll never forget, that's for sure," said Rob.

"And this morning was incredible, just to see out the win and then get the call from Joe himself. It was a really nice touch from him."

• Like 3

2 hours ago, phantom said:

Joe Root has thanked an England fan who waited in Sri Lanka for nearly a year to watch the team play, after England won the first Test of the series in Galle.

Rob Lewis, a web designer from Sunbury-on-Thames, first flew out to Sri Lanka on March 13 last year - discovering while he was on the plane that England's tour had been called off because of the coronavirus pandemic.

He stayed in the country, however, and was finally able to watch live from the historic Dutch fort adjoining the ground, 10 months later as England beat Sri Lanka by seven wickets.

With no fans allowed into the ground, Rob became "almost a beacon for everyone at home", said Root, who spoke to him on the phone following England's victory.

"Rob? Hello mate, how are you? It was nice to see you finally up on the fort," said the England captain.

"That's why I wanted to come over, on behalf of all the lads we really appreciate your support and it's an incredible story and journey that you've been on.

"More than anything, I just wanted to say a massive thank you, we really appreciate you being here and making the effort to come down and support us. It's nice for us to be able to celebrate together."

Rob, who had been shooed away by police after watching the first few balls of the match from the fort on the first day, was allowed back later and watched England clinch victory from the same spot.

"It's an incredible story. I read about it a little while back now. To see him struggle to get on the fort the first couple of days, then finally up there enjoying himself and getting to watch some cricket was fantastic," said Root.

"He was almost a beacon for everyone at home watching on the screens. We are very lucky to get the support we do everywhere in the world.

"It was nice that at the end of the game I managed to have a little conversation with him over the phone - lovely for him to enjoy that moment with the rest of the group."

"Joe Root saluted me when he got his double ton. Just the realisation it wasn't to a group of people, it was just me, was very surreal - a little moment I'll never forget, that's for sure," said Rob.

"And this morning was incredible, just to see out the win and then get the call from Joe himself. It was a really nice touch from him."

Root is a class act. Liked the Barmy Army sticker on his bat as well.

• Like 2

Glad I stayed up to watch that. India showed as well as no little skill, huge character, both on the day and in the Series post Adelaide, albeit towards the end threw a couple of wickets away. Inexperience may have played a part there.

I think they might be a little bit better than FTB's?

Two notable statistics too- apologies if already posted.

1) Highest successful run chase at the Gabba. Albeit later in summer might help with batting a bit?

2) That Fortress breached. First Australian loss there since 1988!

As well as a host of injuries, they even did it without their captain. Overall real ebb and flow to the Series, best for some time IMO. 

• Like 2

Test squad for 1st two India tests named, Ollie Pope will travel and be added if passed fit

Joe Root (Yorkshire) (captain), Jofra Archer (Sussex), Moeen Ali (Worcestershire), James Anderson (Lancashire), Dom Bess (Yorkshire), Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire), Rory Burns (Surrey), Jos Buttler (Lancashire), Zak Crawley (Kent), Ben Foakes (Surrey), Dan Lawrence (Essex), Jack Leach (Somerset), Dom Sibley (Warwickshire), Ben Stokes (Durham), Olly Stone (Warwickshire), Chris Woakes (Warwickshire).

Reserves:

James Bracey (Gloucestershire), Mason Crane (Hampshire), Saqib Mahmood (Lancashire), Matthew Parkinson (Lancashire), Ollie Robinson (Sussex), Amar Virdi (Surrey).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lrrr said:

Test squad for 1st two India tests named, Ollie Pope will travel and be added if passed fit

Joe Root (Yorkshire) (captain), Jofra Archer (Sussex), Moeen Ali (Worcestershire), James Anderson (Lancashire), Dom Bess (Yorkshire), Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire), Rory Burns (Surrey), Jos Buttler (Lancashire), Zak Crawley (Kent), Ben Foakes (Surrey), Dan Lawrence (Essex), Jack Leach (Somerset), Dom Sibley (Warwickshire), Ben Stokes (Durham), Olly Stone (Warwickshire), Chris Woakes (Warwickshire).

Reserves:

James Bracey (Gloucestershire), Mason Crane (Hampshire), Saqib Mahmood (Lancashire), Matthew Parkinson (Lancashire), Ollie Robinson (Sussex), Amar Virdi (Surrey).

Following on from your post. The dates of the India tour

https://m.timesofindia.com/sports/cricket/england-in-india/india-vs-england-2021-series-full-schedule-of-matches-venues-timings-dates-and-squads/amp_articleshow/80365225.cms

Just now, And Its Smith said:

Will be Foakes over Bairstow wont it ?

Don't see it, bar the dodgy patch Bairstow played spin well in the last test and historically has a good average vs spin. They have Foakes over there atm and chose Bairstow over him.

Just now, Northern Red said:

Yeah I'd assume so. They're not looking at Bairstow as a keeper at the moment.

I think they'll go batting ability over keeping ability as said above about Bairstow's ability vs spin

5 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Don't see it, bar the dodgy patch Bairstow played spin well in the last test and historically has a good average vs spin. They have Foakes over there atm and chose Bairstow over him.

I think they'll go batting ability over keeping ability as said above about Bairstow's ability vs spin

They have told Bairstow he wont be keeping any more so would be weird to go back on that at the first opportunity Buttler isnt available 

They chose Bairstow over Foakes as a batsman so dont see that as relevant 

Edited by And Its Smith

Just now, And Its Smith said:

They have told Bairstow he wont be keeping any more so would be weird to go back on that at the first opportunity Buttler isnt available 

I think it may come down to how well Lawrence bats in the next test, showed great aptitude vs spin and I can't see them leaving Pope out if he's fit as another good player. I think the plan could have been Foakes in for Lawrence if he had an average series in Sri Lanka so any decent test and I expect him to play vs India. So unless they drop an opener and move Bairstow up to open I don't see a space for Foakes in the batting line up.

3 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

I think it may come down to how well Lawrence bats in the next test, showed great aptitude vs spin and I can't see them leaving Pope out if he's fit as another good player. I think the plan could have been Foakes in for Lawrence if he had an average series in Sri Lanka so any decent test and I expect him to play vs India. So unless they drop an opener and move Bairstow up to open I don't see a space for Foakes in the batting line up.

1. Burns
  2. Crawley
  3. Root
  4. Lawrence
  5. Stokes
  6. Pope
  7. Foakes
  8. Woakes/Archer
  9. Bess
  10. Leach
  11. Broad/Anderson

I dont see a problem with this other than Root at 3 but needs must 

1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:
  1. Burns
  2. Crawley
  3. Root
  4. Lawrence
  5. Stokes
  6. Pope
  7. Foakes
  8. Woakes/Archer
  9. Bess
  10. Leach
  11. Broad/Anderson

I dont see a problem with this other than Root at 3 but needs must 

Tbh super early opinion having only seen him bat in the test before but I think Lawrence looks like he could bat 3, don't think it would faze him especially in games where spin will be introduced early. I just don't see England dropping Bairstow again being the thing.

16 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Bairstow is not in the India squad at present I believe for India.

1 hour ago, TomF said:

Its a very very flat wicket.  We did well to get 3 early thanks to Jimmy's genius.  I think if we'd have played Broad as well we might have got them a few more down.  Curran doesn't seem to get much out of a wicket unless it's really moving

On days like today Stokes is a massive miss.