IGNORED

International Cricket

Monkeh

1 minute ago, Lrrr said:

Went for Libby based off this season 774 runs at 64.67 vs Hameed's 515 at 44.18. Personally I think Hameed should be allowed a full season of county cricket to see if he can keep the runs flowing, if he came in and suffered it would knock him back again.

Thinking about it though the India series is when the hundred is on, have the ECB said what will be happening selection wise? They made such a noise about the best England players playing in the hundred

Well a completely new XI couldn't be any worse, could it?

13 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Went for Libby based off this season 774 runs at 64.67 vs Hameed's 515 at 44.18. Personally I think Hameed should be allowed a full season of county cricket to see if he can keep the runs flowing, if he came in and suffered it would knock him back again.

Thinking about it though the India series is when the hundred is on, have the ECB said what will be happening selection wise? They made such a noise about the best England players playing in the hundred

I think selectors need to look at temperament as much as county runs. We have seen countless times players come in with strong county averages, look out of their depth at test level so get dropped, only to go back and score tons of runs at county level again.  

Michael Vaughan and Marcus Trescothick were two players who were given a chance before their stats suggesting they deserved one. Turned out well. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Super said:

Huge difference between County and Test level. This NZ bowling attack is one of the best in the world.

Oh, of course.

I wasn’t disagreeing with you, simply noting that a batsman with perhaps a poor technique (at international standard) batted particularly well against Somerset.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TomF said:

I think we're in danger of having tunnel vision focusing on the Ashes. To much 'planning' for that and not assessing the teams we're playing right now. 

Sod the ashes right now, winning down under is one is tough no matter what. Never mind for a team like this in transition.  Should be now focusing on how best to play against India not about how we improve our batting line up for Australia. 

Agree 100%

In one day cricket and 20/20 plan for the world cups

In test match cricket you should focus only on the next series 

14 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

He ought to worry about his own crap form .

You're not wrong. 

But he's got to be pissed off with how soon he's coming into matches as a number 4 recently. 

Pope looks so good, he's started to do similarly to how Buttler was doing a year or so ago, getting into the 20's/30's then going out. Denly would do similarly but at least he'd see off 100 balls before going out. 

I've seen little in Crawley to suggest he's the permanent fix in at number 3, and Sibley not been great recently as one of the openers either. Gives Bairstow another chance at being in there somewhere. 

• Admin

What is it about that part of Bristol being so tin pot when related to sport :fear:

The England and Wales Cricket Board says it is "disappointed and sorry" a used pitch will be played on for the one-off Test between England and India.

The pitch that will be used at the County Ground in Bristol has already had 39 overs of men's Twenty20 cricket played on it on Friday night.

England captain Heather Knight said the situation was "unfortunate".

"It is not ideal and we would much rather be on a fresh one," Knight told BBC Sport.

The four-day red-ball match begins on Wednesday.

England found out about the situation last week and tried to get the pitch changed, but it was too late to prepare a fresh one.

"We know that England Women deserve a fresh wicket and we are sorry that we were unable to provide that in this instance," an ECB spokesperson said.

"With the Test only being added to the calendar in mid-April, coupled with the lack of available first class grounds, we knew a fresh TV pitch was going to be a challenge.

"We accept that this issue shouldn't have arisen and we will make sure it doesn't happen in the future."

While a used pitch may encourage more turn as the game goes on, it could also have the opposite effect.

The pitch could flatten out and slow down, thereby making it difficult to force a result.

It is unlikely that a men's Test would be played on a used pitch and women's Tests have often been criticised for being dull in the past, with pitches cited as part of the issue.

"We're confident we've got the team to be able to take 20 wickets and score the runs to win a Test match," Knight said.

"We can moan about it later - we've just got to play what's in front of us, we can't use it as a negative or an excuse or frustration."

TAKEN FROM: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/57488424

I just popped on to CricInfo to see if there was any comment about the pitch or news about the teams. 

Not yet, but they have announced the two commentators:

I'm Matt Roller, and I'll be joined by Vishal Dikshit to talk you through this one.

I'm sure he will provide an insightful commentary and talk a lot of sense, though.

23 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

You're not wrong. 

But he's got to be pissed off with how soon he's coming into matches as a number 4 recently. 

Pope looks so good, he's started to do similarly to how Buttler was doing a year or so ago, getting into the 20's/30's then going out. Denly would do similarly but at least he'd see off 100 balls before going out. 

I've seen little in Crawley to suggest he's the permanent fix in at number 3, and Sibley not been great recently as one of the openers either. Gives Bairstow another chance at being in there somewhere. 

Somerset bias or not I'd like to see Abell given a go at 3

Salty Indian fans on social media is a delight to see

'if this were played in the sub-continent we'd have won by an innings' ?

I do however think 3 nations should be short listed as potential hosts in an order as well so that its always at a neutral venue and then play summer at whichever venue