IGNORED

International Cricket

Monkeh

Game was lost this morning. We know the batting isn't good enough, however that hour and a half up to lunch was the most inept display of bowling and captaincy I think I've ever seen from an England side, and there's been a few contenders during Root's tenure. Wonderful batsman, absolutely out of his depth as a captain.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Northern Red said:

Game was lost this morning. We know the batting isn't good enough, however that hour and a half up to lunch was the most inept display of bowling and captaincy I think I've ever seen from an England side, and there's been a few contenders during Root's tenure. Wonderful batsman, absolutely out of his depth as a captain.

No the batting lost us the game

Yes the bowling was poor but not being able to bat through was even more shocking

6 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

It really wasnt. The batsman should be able to last 2 sessions 

5 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

It’s not Root’s fault really. He messed up today which he has fronted up too. Show me a captain who can win a series with 6 good players. 

Who tells the bowlers to bowl short pitch rubbish at tailenders?

• Like 1

I think Root on the field is a poor captain and no doubt his decisions this morning are a big factor in the defeat, but he’s so far away from being the biggest issue.

This is a team that is being given absolutely no chance of being successful due to the complete managed decline of first class cricket in this country. The last batsmen to come into the team and prove to be a success at test level was Root himself, he made his debut in 2012!

So we can all say who’d we’d drop, and no doubt I’d drop some people, but there is no evidence that the players coming in have any better chance of proving successful.

I also have to say that while I’ll reiterate that I think Root on the field is poor, I think he does deserve some real credit for this team never actually completely breaking up (let’s see if this is true in six months). For all the massive issues they have, they have actually remained competitive over the last five years and I think the commendable way Root leads what is a completely dysfunctional team is a large reason for this.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TomF said:

It'll never happen but:

Get Morgan in there.  Decide one of either Bairstow & Buttler and then Morgan comes in at 7 -can't be any worse batting than what we've seen from the rest.

Hamed needs to be opening.   Top county bowlers *cough Overton cough* should be playing and not a part time spinner/batsmen whose been playing the 100 ball crap the last month. 

What'll happen in reality is nothing, we'll rejig the batting order, move Sibley to 5 or something silly.  Bring in Leach when we're 2-0 down in the series and he gets 10 wickets in the match.

Agree about Morgan. He's a very clever captain and as you say couldn't possibly be worse than some of the others with the bat. It's not the biggest issue, but I think Root is a poor captain and agree that there are no real alternatives in the squad now. Bringing Morgan in will solve a couple of problems at least.

24 minutes ago, TomF said:

It'll never happen but:

Get Morgan in there.  Decide one of either Bairstow & Buttler and then Morgan comes in at 7 -can't be any worse batting than what we've seen from the rest.

Hamed needs to be opening.   Top county bowlers *cough Overton cough* should be playing and not a part time spinner/batsmen whose been playing the 100 ball crap the last month. 

What'll happen in reality is nothing, we'll rejig the batting order, move Sibley to 5 or something silly.  Bring in Leach when we're 2-0 down in the series and he gets 10 wickets in the match.

Morgan has proved not to be a test batsman. Don’t think he even plays many four day county games 

19 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Agree about Morgan. He's a very clever captain and as you say couldn't possibly be worse than some of the others with the bat. It's not the biggest issue, but I think Root is a poor captain and agree that there are no real alternatives in the squad now. Bringing Morgan in will solve a couple of problems at least.

Not a fan of picking a player who isn’t good enough to be in the team 

I don’t like tweets like this. I wish some ex England players would speak their mind and vent their frustration to the ECB.

They are very much to blame for the mess we are in.

28 minutes ago, TomF said:

One thing is for certain, when Jimmy & Broad go we really will be in trouble..

I think Broad is pretty much finished. 

One day captaincy is different to first class captaincy, just being a good limited overs captain wouldn't make Morgan a good test captain. I honestly think you've got to look to county cricket for your next captain, the only one with sticking power and length of time in the team is Rory Burns but don't think he's ever captained at county level. Moeen I maintain shouldn't be in the side, Stokes you don't put that on him atm. Really the only alternative in that side if you back him with the gloves is Jos. Therefore, look to county cricket. I think Abell would do a job as an England number 3, certainly leadership material and a decent captain but I think whoever would do it would get ruined by media/public if they didn't start well. 

3 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

One day captaincy is different to first class captaincy, just being a good limited overs captain wouldn't make Morgan a good test captain. I honestly think you've got to look to county cricket for your next captain, the only one with sticking power and length of time in the team is Rory Burns but don't think he's ever captained at county level. Moeen I maintain shouldn't be in the side, Stokes you don't put that on him atm. Really the only alternative in that side if you back him with the gloves is Jos. Therefore, look to county cricket. I think Abell would do a job as an England number 3, certainly leadership material and a decent captain but I think whoever would do it would get ruined by media/public if they didn't start well. 

Burns captained Surrey to the Championship in 2018.

Just embarrassing. Being bowled out after declaration at lunch....in less than 60 overs. Giving 2 tailenders 89 runs with averages of 3 and 8.....when your captain scores 180 not out and Kohli gets 42 & 20......

As somebody mentioned on BBC Sport cricket page in last couple of days, Burns and Sibley like batting anglepoise lamps.

Abject. Inept. Pathetic.

28 minutes ago, TomF said:

Everything thats wrong with cricket at moment summed up by this.  The f**cking hundred is the first story on the sports section of the BBC. Not that India won etc. 

Fully expecting the T20 Blast to be killed off to allow for more 4 day cricket while not destroying the ECB's precious wanky tournament

100.PNG

It’s the first story as it’s happening live now. 

4 hours ago, Lrrr said:

I was waiting..................and sure enough, there 'tis !                 ?

Leach is on standby, apparently. Sibley and Crawley have also been dropped, Malan recalled.

England Men's Third Test Squad: Joe Root (Yorkshire) Captain, Moeen Ali (Worcestershire), James Anderson (Lancashire), Jonathan Bairstow (Yorkshire), Rory Burns (Surrey), Jos Buttler (Lancashire), Sam Curran (Surrey), Haseeb Hameed (Nottinghamshire), Dan Lawrence (Essex), Saqib Mahmood (Lancashire), Dawid Malan (Yorkshire), Craig Overton (Somerset), Ollie Pope (Surrey), Ollie Robinson (Sussex), Mark Wood (Durham)