IGNORED

International Cricket

Monkeh

17 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Of course they'll try and win.

Based on Root's cautious captaining I'm really not sure. I think they started the day with the primary aim of not losing as opposed to winning. This mornings run-rate supports that theory. 

Can see a scenario where we just bat the day out to draw. Depends how many wickets we've lost by tea and how many we need to chase

Edited by Kid in the Riot

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Based on Root's cautious captaining I'm really not sure. I think they started the day with the primary aim of not losing as opposed to winning. This mornings run-rate supports that theory. 

Can see a scenario where we just bat the day out to draw. Depends how many wickets we've lost by tea and how many we need to chase

So far this has gone as expected. Take loss of the equation and then maybe go for it. Not surprising but still disappointing to see.  Eoin Morgan would go for it.  

25 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

So far this has gone as expected. Take loss of the equation and then maybe go for it. Not surprising but still disappointing to see.  Eoin Morgan would go for it.  

Its probably the best way to play it in fairness, England couldn't win this match in the morning session but they could definately have lost it. The other thing to factor in is if we lose this match we can't win the series which is the ultimate aim whereas a draw at least keeps it alive.

Morgan also has some of the best ODI players in the world to gamble with, Root doesn't have this luxury.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Its probably the best way to play it in fairness, England couldn't win this match in the morning session but they could definately have lost it. The other thing to factor in is if we lose this match we can't win the series which is the ultimate aim whereas a draw at least keeps it alive.

Morgan also has some of the best ODI players in the world to gamble with, Root doesn't have this luxury.

Some very good points. Would just like to have seen another 20 runs this morning. Might not sound like much but would have shown better intent.