IGNORED

International Cricket

Monkeh

There’s something about Burns I just can’t take too.

Maybe his ridiculous haircut, maybe that over the top white sun block (it is available without having to white yourself up,) maybe the way he seems to stare in the wrong direction just as the ball is about to be delivered, maybe because he plays for Surrey…..

…..or maybe I just don’t rate him as a top opener.

Or maybe I’m just a miserable git and being unkind. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Missed but saw this on another forum....

image.png

That’s gotta be a tad off putting.

You can pay to walk along the roof of the stands there, earlier they showed a group up there with lightening appearing behind them and they’re just stood taking photos of it. Not sure I’d have stayed up there. 

Rory Burns is becoming the new Gary Ballance. Gets picked no matter how shit and out of form he is and no matter how many times he chucks his wicket away. If he didn`t play for Surrey he wouldn`t have a sniff of a test place any more than Ballance would have if he hadn`t played for Yorkshire.

It`s a bloody mafia setup.

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Rory Burns is becoming the new Gary Ballance. Gets picked no matter how shit and out of form he is and no matter how many times he chucks his wicket away. If he didn`t play for Surrey he wouldn`t have a sniff of a test place any more than Ballance would have if he hadn`t played for Yorkshire.

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcQIjvk2jkbGTeM8JhXasfy6G_rsv7ZyHGNNTE2qcSSdOTe9-4oZe4QTsrUSOH2p1YAv5e9HmhGs6Np0P3YDMCLV4nd-Ne3ir45Wyb5-x5B3q0S69AaJ61SxWw&usqp=CAE

The problem with the current criticism of Burns, not that I disagree, is that of the 15 (fifteen) openers England have brought in since Strauss retired he’s been the most successful, as low a bar as that is.

I ultimately don’t think he’s good enough, I refuse to accept you can bat like that and be successful in test cricket and I absolutely accept that watching him crab about is torture, but there is no evidence we have anyone that will do better.

It’s almost now a decade since Andrew Strauss retired..

Compton, Root, Carberry, Robson, Trott, Lyth, Moeen, Hales, Jennings (twice), Hameed (twice), Stoneman, Burns, Roy, Sibley and Crawley. They’ve all had a go, none of them have been good enough (I think Hameed deserves a decent crack at it tbf). As sad as it is, Burns has been the best of that lot.

So fine drop him, I won’t disagree, but who are we playing?

Crawley? He struggles to average 30 in first class cricket let alone test level.

Bairstow because he gives the white ball a whack?

Fly Sibley over? His technique is even worse than Burns.

Not exactly spoilt for choice. As is the case whenever criticising this team (and I’m just as guilty of this as everyone else), you have to accept unfortunately there aren’t good players lining up to take these lads places.

Same as any criticism of Root and Silverwood. I essentially think they’re both useless, but have whoever you want as captain and coach. Try winning in Australia with one top class batsmen, one injury prone quick bowler* and no dependable spinners.

*Root of course partly responsible for Jofra being broken and unable for selection.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

The problem with the current criticism of Burns, not that I disagree, is that of the 15 (fifteen) openers England have brought in since Strauss retired he’s been the most successful, as low a bar as that is.

I ultimately don’t think he’s good enough, I refuse to accept you can bat like that and be successful in test cricket and I absolutely accept that watching him crab about is torture, but there is no evidence we have anyone that will do better.

Compton, Root, Carberry, Robson, Trott, Lyth, Moeen, Hales, Jennings (twice), Hameed (twice), Stoneman, Burns, Roy, Sibley and Crawley. They’ve all had a go, none of them have been good enough (I think Hameed deserves a decent crack at it tbf). As sad as it is, Burns has been the best of that lot.

Crawley? He struggles to average 30 in first class cricket let alone test level.

Not exactly spoilt for choice. As is the case whenever criticising this team (and I’m just as guilty of this as everyone else), you have to accept unfortunately there aren’t good players lining up to take these lads places.

Same as any criticism of Root and Silverwood. I essentially think they’re both useless, but have whoever you want as captain and coach. Try winning in Australia with one top class batsmen, one injury prone quick bowler* and no dependable spinners.

*Root of course partly responsible for Jofra being broken and unable for selection.

Depressingly true. Great post

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

He's going to end up being the 2nd highest England run scorer in 2021.

That's a desperate statistic 

Same in football and Rugby Union.  Bet Genge gets dropped now he's left Leicester 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

50 for Root now. Scoring quite quickly.

Watching it constantly from home at Perth. Had planned to be in Adelaide for the test but had to cancel. Can go to SA from WA but cant get back to WA without 14 days quarantine.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, City oz said:

Watching it constantly from home at Perth. Had planned to be in Adelaide for the test but had to cancel. Can go to SA from WA but cant get back to WA without 14 days quarantine.

I visit Adelaide usually six times a year with work. Stay always at the Stamford Plaza in North Terrace. The rooms look over the stadium with the river end in front of you. Great City, Great infrastructure, good pubs and everything in walking distance and probably one of the top 5 cricket or sporting venues in the world.

14 hours ago, bearded_red said:

Very good post and depressing that we don’t have any viable alternatives really. 

The selectors have previously said they don’t want someone debuting in an Ashes series in Oz so I guess we’ll be stuck with him for now. 

Hameed looks promising and I hope we stick with him, Burns’ failures are probably adding to the pressure on him.

I hope for the Caribbean tour we look to the future - get Yates or someone in at the top and just give them a crack. 

Exactly right about Archer, I was in NZ 2 years ago when Root flogged him into the dirt on 2 of the flattest pitches you’ll ever see. 42 overs in the first innings at Mount Maunganui!!