IGNORED

International Cricket

Monkeh

16 hours ago, bearded_red said:

The problem with the current criticism of Burns, not that I disagree, is that of the 15 (fifteen) openers England have brought in since Strauss retired he’s been the most successful, as low a bar as that is.

I ultimately don’t think he’s good enough, I refuse to accept you can bat like that and be successful in test cricket and I absolutely accept that watching him crab about is torture, but there is no evidence we have anyone that will do better.

It’s almost now a decade since Andrew Strauss retired..

Compton, Root, Carberry, Robson, Trott, Lyth, Moeen, Hales, Jennings (twice), Hameed (twice), Stoneman, Burns, Roy, Sibley and Crawley. They’ve all had a go, none of them have been good enough (I think Hameed deserves a decent crack at it tbf). As sad as it is, Burns has been the best of that lot.

So fine drop him, I won’t disagree, but who are we playing?

Crawley? He struggles to average 30 in first class cricket let alone test level.

Bairstow because he gives the white ball a whack?

Fly Sibley over? His technique is even worse than Burns.

Not exactly spoilt for choice. As is the case whenever criticising this team (and I’m just as guilty of this as everyone else), you have to accept unfortunately there aren’t good players lining up to take these lads places.

Same as any criticism of Root and Silverwood. I essentially think they’re both useless, but have whoever you want as captain and coach. Try winning in Australia with one top class batsmen, one injury prone quick bowler* and no dependable spinners.

*Root of course partly responsible for Jofra being broken and unable for selection.

Can’t disagree with that.

The county championship was scheduled very differently when Strauss, Trescothic, Cook etc we’re learning their trade.

I guess you reap what you sow.

• Like 2

Root & Malan combined 302-2 in this Ashes series so far. 

All other England partnerships: 314-24. 

Absolutely pathetic. 

The best keeper in England never gets selected. What’s Pope done since getting a ton in SA two years ago? Burns crabbing around has never been up to it.

Malan’s been overlooked for too long and gets brought back in when he’s 34. Hameed’s worth persevering with, at least he has technique. I’d rather have Livingstone in this XI, batting at 7 and bowling wrist spin but he can’t even get in the squad. Get Foakes in and maybe Yates. 

I remember the struggling England sides of the ‘90s, but they were were up against a much better quality opposition. McGrath, Warne, Lee etc compared to Richardson and Neser — no contest. This current crop consistently plays poor shots and is unable to soak up any pressure. We will be following on soon enough.

The buck stops with the ECB, but the cupboard is pretty bare.

Edited by tin
  • Like 1
  • Flames 1

Smith would be mad not to enforce the follow-on. I reckon we will be 2 or 3 down by the close. 

I’m in favour of ringing the changes for Melbourne:

Hameed, Yates, Malan, Root, Stokes, Foakes (wk), Livingstone, Woakes, Robinson, Wood, Anderson/Broad. 

At least that XI has more balance and variation to it. It won’t happen, though. 

19 minutes ago, tin said:

Smith would be mad not to enforce the follow-on. I reckon we will be 2 or 3 down by the close. 

I’m in favour of ringing the changes for Melbourne:

Hameed, Yates, Malan, Root, Stokes, Foakes (wk), Livingstone, Woakes, Robinson, Wood, Anderson/Broad. 

At least that XI has more balance and variation to it. It won’t happen, though. 

Like the look of that, I would replace Woakes with Mahmood as would like to see more of him 

• Thanks 1