IGNORED

International Cricket

Monkeh

9 hours ago, Maltshoveller said:

Never going to hit big runs as a team when we only have ONE test match class batsman 

One Test match class batsman in this poor era, versus a fallible Australia side against whom he’s failed to register a single ton in three tours.

If Root was in his pomp 10-15 years ago, I doubt he’d even get in the XI. That shows, to me at least, how far our standards have fallen. 

4 minutes ago, tin said:

One Test match class batsman in this poor era, versus a fallible Australia side against whom he’s failed to register a single ton in three tours.

If Root was in his pomp 10-15 years ago, I doubt he’d even get in the XI. That shows, to me at least, how far our standards have fallen. 

He would, as good as Bell was, Root at his best is still a lot better 

Also the Aussies are going to be pissed after their insistence for families not to come 

• Like 1

Honestly think it’s time at least half of this squad were replaced, look at how the scratch county team did when called up for ODI duty, I’d bin off a good 5/6 of this team and look for fresh players from county cricket. 

from this XI, Hameed, Crawley, Malan, Wood at minimum and then big question marks over Leach (depends on Parkinson being ready, Leach generally isn’t a good enough 1st innings bowler), Bairstow and Buttler, don’t think Bracey is ready, Foakes could/should get an extended period of 12 months + being first choice to stake a claim. 

6 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Honestly think it’s time at least half of this squad were replaced, look at how the scratch county team did when called up for ODI duty, I’d bin off a good 5/6 of this team and look for fresh players from county cricket. 

from this XI, Hameed, Crawley, Malan, Wood at minimum and then big question marks over Leach (depends on Parkinson being ready, Leach generally isn’t a good enough 1st innings bowler), Bairstow and Buttler, don’t think Bracey is ready, Foakes could/should get an extended period of 12 months + being first choice to stake a claim. 

Agree with a lot of that. I’d persevere with Hameed, and Pope, plus obviously Root and Stokes. Beyond that, Jimmy and Broad will be calling time on their careers soon. I find it mental that Foakes isn’t our Test No.1 keeper, too. 

I think, possibly with Glos-tinted glasses, that Bracey will come good at Test level. His ton against Australia A and the likes of Neser, Richardson and Boland — all of whom have impacted on the last two Tests — won’t have gone unnoticed, while it should do wonders for his confidence. 

For me, Yates, Bohannon, Mahmood, and Bracey all could come in and strengthen the current XI and I’d get Livingstone in at 7 for balance. 

13 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Agree with most of that apart from Wood. I always thought Abell should have been given a go at some stage but he has probably missed the boat now.

1 hour ago, Super said:

Agree with most of that apart from Wood. I always thought Abell should have been given a go at some stage but he has probably missed the boat now.

Isn’t Tom Abell in Australia at the moment?

If, as seems likely, we lose this Test tomorrow, then why not give TA a chance - especially if the original squad is weakened by COVID.

11 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Too much emphasis on bloody T20 and ****** Hundred !

May be

But how come India and the Aussies can still play Test Cricket

My answer to that would be They still spend time on the BASICS 

Bit like in football were you have kids who practice doing rabonas for hours (Flash) instead of using that time just working on their weaker foot

Just get the basics mastered first SIMPLE

• Like 1