IGNORED

International Cricket

Monkeh

A few players should have played their last test, a couple more should have played their last test outside England. The captain and coach should both go..and yet.. you still won’t have got close to the underlying problems with first class cricket in this country. 

The ECB is an absolute disgrace and are bringing the sport into disrepute.

In my life England have lost 5-0 in Australia twice, 4-0 another time, lost the ashes in 10 days in 2002 and apart from 10/11 they’ve failed to win a test while the ashes were still on the line. Yet this is the biggest shower they’ve been and it’s not even close.

This Australia team is good, it’s not great. We’ve only had to play their first choice bowling attack once. An utter embarrassment.

• Flames 2

2 hours ago, Posset red said:

So how come we are so shit ? 

Apart from a bit of a show on the 2nd day we then gave up. The team now has an extra two days off and the plan was probably we are not going to win this 3rd test and the ashes so we may as well have some time off and party.

A bit embarrasing being a Pom in OZ at the moment. ?

4 minutes ago, TomF said:

Coach has to go, expecting root to resign probably 

England cricket fans across the world and in OZ now lament on social media on how bad the team are. Including comments from ex players.

We are the laughing stock of world cricket unfortunately .

We have a Sydney test next and then due to the Western Australian Covid sanctions the 5th test is now being played in Hobart Tasmania which if any of you know is a fantastic place to live and weather close to the Pommie climate. If we do not get a win in Tassie at Hobart then the whole bloody team should get the sack.

6 minutes ago, TomF said:

The real issue lies with the ECB and the prioritisation of white ball cricket. 

We need to put the county championship back to the pinnacle and run it from start to finish of season with 1 50 over tournament and 1 20 over tournament. 

The 100 can get in the ******* bin for me but you know it’ll be the blast that gets the chop 

Last time I was at the MCG was 1990 and it was England up against Pakistan in the world cup final. We lossed that one as well. It was the grand opening of what was caled the great southern stand at the MCG. A bit like our old East End. The capacity that day in the stadium was 90K. 15K of this was the barmy army. I will always remember attending that afternoon night match as it was the last cricket. I remember getting locked up in the cells at the MCG by the local cops. I think it was something too do with me and my mate smuggeling bottles of scotch of Johnny red inside our jocks. Not allowed to go too a cricket match again since that.

Just now, City oz said:

Last time I was at the MCG was 1990 and it was England up against Pakistan in the world cup final. We lossed that one as well. It was the grand opening of what was caled the great southern stand at the MCG. A bit like our old East End. The capacity that day in the stadium was 90K. 15K of this was the barmy army. I will always remember attending that afternoon night match as it was the last cricket. I remember getting locked up in the cells at the MCG by the local cops. I think it was something too do with me and my mate smuggeling bottles of scotch of Johnny red inside our jocks. Not allowed to go too a cricket match again since that.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=1990+CRICKET+WORLD+CUP+FINAL+AT+THE+MCG&docid=608051748792532801&mid=9E5227C9E5BB13FC82D89E5227C9E5BB13FC82D8&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

https://www.skysports.com/share/12504960

A paragraph that sums it up for me . Joe Root reckons that is the best 18 players playing red ball cricket in England at the moment on this tour. If that is the case we are in trouble for a few years yet. 

He is right it needs a reset. As above the gimmick 100 can piss off . We are an embarrassment of a test side

12 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

https://www.skysports.com/share/12504960

A paragraph that sums it up for me . Joe Root reckons that is the best 18 players playing red ball cricket in England at the moment on this tour. If that is the case we are in trouble for a few years yet. 

He is right it needs a reset. As above the gimmick 100 can piss off . We are an embarrassment of a test side

Day3, And an  innings and 14 runs. The sponsers and suppliers to what is supposed to be a five day test would be very dissapointed. Hospitality as well with many thousands checking out of their hotels early, the pubs around the MCG that would of expected to be at full capacity for five days would be devastated. Playing crap cricket effects more people than you think.

• Like 1

This is the worst England Test team in my living memory. At least in the ‘90s, when we were up against great Australia teams, we contested series. 

Root will resign; Silverwood, Bobat and Giles should follow suit. Who replaces them is anyone’s guess. 

The ECB needs to restore first-class cricket to being played in the summer, not bookended in spring and autumn — and keep it there. 

I do think there’s a real coaching issue at grass-roots level that needs addressing. Players need to be taught proper technique from an early age, otherwise we end up with the likes of Burns, Sibley or Crawley opening. 

I also think Ashes tours shouldn’t be scheduled like this, with no games in between for players to even attempt to play themselves into form. 

On a final note, I think the future of Test cricket is under threat. England sells out home Tests and takes huge away support in normal circumstances. If apathy sets in and demand dwindles, Tests could be on a slippery slope.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, tin said:

This is the worst England Test team in my living memory. At least in the ‘90s, when we were up against great Australia teams, we contested series. 

Root will resign; Silverwood, Bobat and Giles should follow suit. Who replaces them is anyone’s guess. 

The ECB needs to restore first-class cricket to being played in the summer, not bookended in spring and autumn — and keep it there. 

I do think there’s a real coaching issue at grass-roots level that needs addressing. Players need to be taught proper technique from an early age, otherwise we end up with the likes of Burns, Sibley or Crawley opening. 

I also think Ashes tours shouldn’t be scheduled like this, with no games in between for players to even attempt to play themselves into form. 

On a final note, I think the future of Test cricket is under threat. England sells out home Tests and takes huge away support in normal circumstances. If apathy sets in and demand dwindles, Tests could be on a slippery slope.

We need to look at getting an experienced foreign coach in as the whole setup needs a complete overhaul. 

40 minutes ago, tin said:

This is the elephant in the room. Realistically, how long left has 5 day Test cricket got when there's so much money and interest in white ball cricket? 

Speaking to a couple of local kids coaches over the summer, and they say that kids turn up to sessions and just want to learn how to smash the ball everywhere. They aren't interesting in learning defence and the more nuanced aspects of batting. They just want to hit the ball out the park as often as possible. 

This change is mindset and coaching will likely have a profound effect on first class and Test cricket over the next decade. 

It won't just impact on England but all the other Test sides too. I know purists are fully against it but I think at least a move to 4-day Tests is inevitable at some point. 

23 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

This is the elephant in the room. Realistically, how long left has 5 day Test cricket got when there's so much money and interest in white ball cricket? 

Speaking to a couple of local kids coaches over the summer, and they say that kids turn up to sessions and just want to learn how to smash the ball everywhere. They aren't interesting in learning defence and the more nuanced aspects of batting. They just want to hit the ball out the park as often as possible. 

This change is mindset and coaching will likely have a profound effect on first class and Test cricket over the next decade. 

It won't just impact on England but all the other Test sides too. I know purists are fully against it but I think at least a move to 4-day Tests is inevitable at some point. 

Mate, it’s already having a profound effect on first-class and Test cricket. Just look at today for evidence of that.

I’ve heard the same thing, though, about coaches encouraging players to work out their own games, rather than teaching them how a solid defence is the foundation upon which to build. That directive comes from the ECB, it’s in the modern coaching manuals. 

Even though I disagree with four-day Tests in principle, I agree they will be the new norm in the not too distant future. That in itself will mark the beginning of the end of Tests, IMO.

• Admin
2 hours ago, TomF said:

The real issue lies with the ECB and the prioritisation of white ball cricket. 

We need to put the county championship back to the pinnacle and run it from start to finish of season with 1 50 over tournament and 1 20 over tournament. 

The 100 can get in the ******* bin for me but you know it’ll be the blast that gets the chop 

Not doubting you’re right, but there is a dilemma, white ball cricket is very popular, I enjoyed the 100 and whilst I don’t watch womens football, I did enjoy the womens  games (I think women cricketers are more accomplished at the sport, or maybe they just appear to play the same style as men? than women footballers, but that’s going off on a tangent).

If the 100 was stopped, I’m sure it would pop up elsewhere, with players lured by the financial gain and fun of it.

I’ve watched test matches (mainly on TV, but have done some at the ground) for as long as I can remember and usually enjoy them, I do find that I have less time nowadays to watch long spells of the game and I guess that’s the same for many who work.

Someone needs to work out a system that allows for both types of cricket, maybe it needs a bizarre idea like the short form of the game awarding extra runs for longevity of innings, the team that loses the least wickets getting a bonus?  Probably not practicable nor desirable by those who run the white ball game.

The argument that The ECB have chosen the money of white ball cricket instead of the purity of first class cricket doesn’t stack up though does it.

The ECB make the vast, vast majority of their money through the 6/7 test matches they host every year.

The Hundred doesn’t make money. It loses money. And lots of it.

We can all write lists of people that need to go, and we’d all be naming roughly the same people. But if none of these lists can leave off Tom Harrison. His removal should be announced well before we all start debating who should be the next captain and coach and who are the next batch of unqualified top order batsmen to be thrown in with next to no chance of succeeding.

• Flames 1

We can add that there are a lot fewer state schools teaching cricket than there were of old.  Fewer want to maintain a wicket or buy the bats, pads and helmets required. Cheaper to do athletics in the warmer months, or just keep football all year round. Schools in many urban areas have large numbers of children from cultures with no cricket tradition, such as Eastern and Southern Europe and West Africa. 

Pair that, with less money in cricket than other sports and we don't have the conveyor belt of young cricketers coming through that you do in countries where the sport is more popular than football. 

It sounds bizarre, but I don't think climate change has helped English 5 day cricket either. Our climate has got 6% wetter in the last 30 years.  By contrast, the Australian climate has got drier in the same period. 

• Sad 1