IGNORED

International Cricket

Monkeh

46 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

The equivalent of saving a penalty to keep the score at 4-0 instead of 5-0 but it seems to mean so much more in test cricket, great work.

I would say it’s more the equivalent of losing to Bristol rovers for the last 3 times we’ve faced them and then scoring a last minute equaliser to draw and stop to rot 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If Stokes is even slightly fit he'll play as a batsman. Similarly you'd like to think Bairstow should be okay but it might involve Pope or Billings keeping.

Hameed will probably drop out for Burns. Personally I wouldn't bother, if Burns wasn't the solution 2 Tests ago then he isn't now just because Hameed is out of form. Let Hameed have this game then change it for the Windies tour if he fails again.

41 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

If Stokes is even slightly fit he'll play as a batsman. Similarly you'd like to think Bairstow should be okay but it might involve Pope or Billings keeping.

Hameed will probably drop out for Burns. Personally I wouldn't bother, if Burns wasn't the solution 2 Tests ago then he isn't now just because Hameed is out of form. Let Hameed have this game then change it for the Windies tour if he fails again.

It is not that Hameed is out of form He is just not test level

3 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Hameed should get a run opening until the end of the Windies tour IMO. His low-hands technique, which is ideal for the sub-continent, has been exposed on the bouncy pitches in Australia. But we can’t keep chopping and changing when we don’t have a plethora of options.

I actually think Hameed has generally looked OK but has but got some really good deliveries. He and Crawley, until Yates emerges at least, could be the future IMO so why drop him when he might get that big score to reignite his Test career like Crawley did in Sydney? 

I can see us risking playing Stokes as a batsman with the Windies tour around the corner, which is annoying when he’s found form. 

Edited by tin
To add Stokes opinion
  • Like 2
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Maltshoveller said:

Old enough to have had a decent technique coached into him

If he hasnt got one now Cant see him ever getting one

Same goes with Burns and a fair few others

And Steve Smith?   Technique isn’t everything. Alastair Cook had about 3 scoring shots but knew when to leave a ball, saw it well and had the temperament 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

And Steve Smith?   Technique isn’t everything. Alastair Cook had about 3 scoring shots but knew when to leave a ball, saw it well and had the temperament 

Spot on. While we're talking Cook, one of the reasons he did so well Down Under is because his technique was heavily based on the back foot and so the cut and pull shots came into the equation on the bouncier pitches. Flower made Cook tweak his technique in India in 2012. I don't have faith the likes of Silverwood or Lewis could help Hameed in the same way. 

Hameed's technique is pretty sound, certainly by modern standards. He's just got some good deliveries and been undone by the bounce. I wouldn't write him off from scoring runs in the Windies or next summer. 

Edited by tin
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, tin said:

Spot on. While we're talking Cook, one of the reasons he did so well Down Under is because his technique was heavily based on the back foot and so the cut and pull shots came into the equation on the bouncier pitches. Flower made Cook tweak his technique in India in 2012. I don't have faith the likes of Silverwood or Lewis could help Hameed in the same way. 

Hameed's technique is pretty sound, certainly by modern standards. He's just got some good deliveries and been undone by the bounce. I wouldn't write him off from scoring runs in the Windies or next summer. 

He went through that period at county level where he could barely score a run so it’s hard to know if it’s a confidence issue. 

A lot of grass roots coaching is front foot coaching. It’s amazing the lack of back foot coaching that happens.  It tends to be the professional coaching, that is expensive (DFCA in Bristol) that will work on that aspect, and all aspects of a batters game. 

England definitely need to be looking at things other than averages and technique. Trescothick had neither when he was given his chance. Vaughan’s technique was okay but I don’t think he was piling on county runs when he got selected.  Not saying it’s easy mind you.  Someone like Nick Compton was discarded too early as well so I am a fan of really giving someone a proper chance

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

He went through that period at county level where he could barely score a run so it’s hard to know if it’s a confidence issue. 

Yeah, I know. But there's something admirable about the way he's fought through those bad times, left his home county and worked his way back into the England XI. That speaks of resilience to me. Even if there's no guarantee he'll recapture the form of his breakthrough in India, he's deserves more than an Ashes series in Australia, on pitches that don't suit him, against the best bowling attack in the world, especially when age is on his side and there's nobody else knocking on the door. 

A lot of grass roots coaching is front foot coaching. It’s amazing the lack of back foot coaching that happens.  It tends to be the professional coaching, that is expensive (DFCA in Bristol) that will work on that aspect, and all aspects of a batters game. 

I agree about the lack of back-foot coaching, although I understand why when the pitches over here require batsmen to be on the front foot. Old Trafford is the only pitch in the country that you can expect a bit of bounce and carry. The dominance of low, slow pitches in the UK does little for the Test team. It's easy to see why the likes of Darren Masters continue to get 50 wickets a year bowling on those sorts of decks, and at helpful times of the year (for him). 

England definitely need to be looking at things other than averages and technique. Trescothick had neither when he was given his chance. Vaughan’s technique was okay but I don’t think he was piling on county runs when he got selected.  Not saying it’s easy mind you.  Someone like Nick Compton was discarded too early as well so I am a fan of really giving someone a proper chance

Agreed. Vaughan averaged 41 in Tests (36 in the Championship), Tres was similar -- 44 in Tests (41 in CC); Collingwood's another (averaged 40 in Tests, 35 in CC). All of those were mentally strong batsmen, though. I'm not sure there are many of those around any more, possibly because of the money on offer from the shorter white-ball formats of the game. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Super said:

Another great test in SA.

I know how everyone loves a stat! The 20 Indian wickets were all caught which apparently is a record.

It is a great Test, and the overturned LBW decision against Elgar could well prove pivotal - India's collective shoulders have certainly dropped.

Two SA youngsters have played well again; the top order batsman Peterson and the fast bowler Jansen.

Somerset need players in both positions; I wonder if they are being considered (or they would accept any contract offer were it to be made)?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

It is a great Test, and the overturned LBW decision against Elgar could well prove pivotal - India's collective shoulders have certainly dropped.

Two SA youngsters have played well again; the top order batsman Peterson and the fast bowler Jansen.

Somerset need players in both positions; I wonder if they are being considered (or they would accept any contract offer were it to be made)?

Hopefully. Both look very good.

The low scoring tests are always the best.

Edited by Super

15 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

SA are over here in the summer, so it's unlikely.