IGNORED

International Cricket

Monkeh

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Yep, I think most England fans would be happy enough at the end of play. I reckon that Alistair Cook was the last England opener to score a century. I can’t think of any since.

According to Wisden

Dom Sibley

Keaton Jennings

Adam Lyth 

Sam Robson and

Nick Compton 

All scored centuries in their first 5 test matches, I think there have been others that have done so after 5 tests.

16 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

According to Wisden

Dom Sibley

Keaton Jennings

Adam Lyth 

Sam Robson and

Nick Compton 

All scored centuries in their first 5 test matches, I think there have been others that have done so after 5 tests.

Rory Burns has at least one I think. Maybe Carberry 

Plenty of openers have come in and started well, just then have been worked out and found to not be up to it.  Compton was hard done by I thought. Looked good enough and dropped too soon 

Edited by And Its Smith

44 minutes ago, TomF said:

Compton was never the same in the county game after being dropped.  This is problem with England they need to keep faith in one and stick with them for at least 12-18 months 

Who was the last England opener to score a century? The las one I remember was Alistair Cook.

• Confused 1

I appreciate it wasn't a great bowling performance, but earlier in this thread @TomF made the excellent point that batsmen should be given 18 months to show their worth and surely that has to be the same for the bowlers? We could have picked the aging Anderson and Broad and made more of a game of it, but the young(er) bowlers can't hide behind them forever and they will only improve by the experience of the different conditions. 

9 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I appreciate it wasn't a great bowling performance, but earlier in this thread @TomF made the excellent point that batsmen should be given 18 months to show their worth and surely that has to be the same for the bowlers? We could have picked the aging Anderson and Broad and made more of a game of it, but the young(er) bowlers can't hide behind them forever and they will only improve by the experience of the different conditions. 

Personally I think it’s different. Batsman form is more up and down than bowlers by the very nature of the different jobs they do. Any batsman can play a bad shot or get a bit of bad luck, therefore judging over a longer period of time negates luck and the odd bad shot to give a truer picture of ability.  With bowling, you bowl a bad ball and the damage is limited and quickly forgotten so bowlers can be judged a bit quicker.  Overton for example, has never looked a test bowler and again doesn’t in this test. It seems highly unlikely to me that he will improve enough (or even at all) if we picked him for the next 18 months.  

20 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Personally I think it’s different. Batsman form is more up and down than bowlers by the very nature of the different jobs they do. Any batsman can play a bad shot or get a bit of bad luck, therefore judging over a longer period of time negates luck and the odd bad shot to give a truer picture of ability.  With bowling, you bowl a bad ball and the damage is limited and quickly forgotten so bowlers can be judged a bit quicker.  Overton for example, has never looked a test bowler and again doesn’t in this test. It seems highly unlikely to me that he will improve enough (or even at all) if we picked him for the next 18 months.  

Have to agree with Overton looks a top county player but out of his depth at Test level. No idea why his pace was so down as well. The future looks pretty grim.

12 minutes ago, Super said:

Have to agree with Overton looks a top county player but out of his depth at Test level. No idea why his pace was so down as well. The future looks pretty grim.

He’s nearly 28 so not sure he’s the future anyway.  England are poor at the moment and the next couple of years will be tough but if we can get the correct people at the top of the game then I’ve got high hopes.  England football changed the structure of youth football years ago playing smaller sided games etc and we now see the benefits of that.  The cricket opportunities and coaching in the youth game has really taken off over the last few years. My one criticism is that it is too 20/20 focused (all the games are 20-30 overs so not too surprising) and most kids still cannot adapt when they come out to bat at 30/4 with 15 overs left to bat but from recent webinars I’ve seen that may well be changing. It’s certainly on the radar.  

Any batsman with an ounce of mental strength has booked themselves in for bed and breakfast on this pitch. Bairstow and Bonner dug in before cashing in, Lees lived up to my expectations. I’d have kept faith with Hameed. It made no sense to send him and his low hands onto the bouncy pitches Down Under, only to leave him out on slow, low docile decks like this. He’s one opener who can bat long. 

• Like 2