Ben Foakes (Surrey)
Jack Leach (Somerset)
Alex Lees (Durham)
Craig Overton (Somerset)
Matthew Potts (Durham)
Ollie Pope (Surrey)
Joe Root (Yorkshire)

42 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

New captain, coach and managing director for the new era of English test cricket. What is the team going to be?  

1. Lees

2. Crawley

3. Pope

4. Root

5. Bairstow

6. Stokes

7. Foakes

8. Overton

9. Leach

10. Broad

11. Anderson

What a new era!

Surely Brook will play?

Crawley 156 runs in 8 innings at 19.5 is enough to get him in the squad, ffs the Rob Key era well and truly on us.

Ben Compton who opens with Crawley 670 runs at 95

Tom Haines (Sussex) 514 runs at 51.4

Tom Abell 443 runs at 63.2

Just a few to name

I know Leach has taken wickets early season but I probably would have given Parkinson a go, think we need to give him a chance to make sure we're not missing out on a real talent, if it doesn't work you can move on from him again.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Crawley 156 runs in 8 innings at 19.5 is enough to get him in the squad, ffs the Rob Key era well and truly on us.

Ben Compton who opens with Crawley 670 runs at 95

Tom Haines (Sussex) 514 runs at 51.4

Tom Abell 443 runs at 63.2

Just a few to name

I know Leach has taken wickets early season but I probably would have given Parkinson a go, think we need to give him a chance to make sure we're not missing out on a real talent, if it doesn't work you can move on from him again.

I don’t think you can change a whole load of batters at once but agree there are a lot of candidates.  Root, Bairstow, Stokes and Foakes were dead certs.  Lees doesn’t deserve to be dropped just yet.  So that leaves Crawley and Pope.  Pope has been scoring a ton of runs so not surprised he is back.  Crawley is the one who can count himself very lucky indeed but is helped by the fact there are no openers banging down the door for a chance if you believe that players shouldn’t be picked for England after just 6 weeks of good cricket.  

Picking Leach over Parkinson is baffling

On 17/05/2022 at 10:03, And Its Smith said:

Bye bye Tom Harrison.  What a day 

Just on this, wondering what the chances now that The Hundred gets morphed into a T20 franchise competition instead, games played at shared venues within their regions as a way to try and win over more fans, Harrison was the driving force behind the actual change of format wasn't he?

11 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Just on this, wondering what the chances now that The Hundred gets morphed into a T20 franchise competition instead, games played at shared venues within their regions as a way to try and win over more fans, Harrison was the driving force behind the actual change of format wasn't he?

Yeah he was the main driver. Definitely a chance it may change for 2023 especially if it doesn’t have a great year this year.  I do think it will be better this year though as the line ups look better from glancing at them 

1 minute ago, Northern Red said:

Worth noting that Crawley scored a century only 3 Tests ago.

Just don't think he's the answer personally, a test average of 28 and FC average of 30 added to his poor start to the season showing he's out of form I wouldn't have included him. Personally with a new coach I'd have liked a strong message that form will get you in this side, Brook shows it a little but Crawley negates that. 

He could be someone who just needs to go back and play a whole season or two of county cricket without being called up and score a bucket load of runs to become better, at 24 he has time on his side, my worry for him would be he keeps getting called up, shows moments of being up to it but largely underperforms and doesn't develop as a player.

• Like 1

Just now, TomF said:

It goes back such a long way -  Simon Jones, Harminson, Flintoff, Wood, Jofra.. sure there are others but all of these had massive periods out of the game.   Flogged to much? 

Not even sure it’s that.  Olly Stone, Saqib Mahmood, Matt Fisher, Woakes, Curran, Robinson are all injured as well.  A lot of those haven’t been flogged.  Anderson and Broad have enjoyed pretty much injury free careers and look at this:

Number of first-class/List A/T20 overs bowled between the ages of 20 and 24:

Stuart Broad 2357
Jimmy Anderson 2032
Ollie Stone 795
Saqib Mahmood 591
Matthew Fisher 549
Mark Wood 412

I certainly have no idea why this is happening but would love to know.  I am going to find out if there is anything kids can be doing to help prevent injury when they get to their 20s. Their must be something. Would be good to know not least for my own child’s sake who is 11 and playing for 3 teams so doing lots of bowling at a young age. 

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

Not even sure it’s that.  Olly Stone, Saqib Mahmood, Matt Fisher, Woakes, Curran, Robinson are all injured as well.  A lot of those haven’t been flogged.  Anderson and Broad have enjoyed pretty much injury free careers and look at this:

Number of first-class/List A/T20 overs bowled between the ages of 20 and 24:

Stuart Broad 2357
Jimmy Anderson 2032
Ollie Stone 795
Saqib Mahmood 591
Matthew Fisher 549
Mark Wood 412

I certainly have no idea why this is happening but would love to know.  I am going to find out if there is anything kids can be doing to help prevent injury when they get to their 20s. Their must be something. Would be good to know not least for my own child’s sake who is 11 and playing for 3 teams so doing lots of bowling at a young age. 

One thing I'd say is Broad and Anderson have very simple actions that can be replicated consistently

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Somehow managed to blag a ticket in the members area at Lords on Day 3 of the first test v NZ. Anyone going? 

Me and the boy in the upper mound stand with lunch and tea in the restaurant, day one.  All courtesy of my generous employers. Cannot wait. If it rains he will most probably cry.  Nice work getting in the members area. Make sure you dress up for it!

Edited by And Its Smith
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

Me and the boy in the upper mound stand with lunch and tea in the restaurant, day one.  All courtesy of my generous employers. Cannot wait. If it rains he will most probably cry.  Nice work getting in the members area. Make sure you dress up for it!

Pricey day out innit, unless you're on a freebie. 

Been told members area is collar and tailored trousers/shorts. My host is saying he's gotta get there at 09:00 as it's unreserved seating ?

You there on day three? See you at the veuve clicquot area!