IGNORED

International Cricket

Monkeh

4 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Pope is usually quite positive coming in lower down but you could tell he was nervous at 3, couldn't get going at all and with Lees also not going anywhere, it meant that any momentum from Crawley's start was lost.

Any 3 will be nervous with our batting line up, you are likely walking onto the field within the first 10 overs, so need the skills and temperament of an opener. Pope has neither. Bizarre selection. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

Please excuse my total ignorance, but , how long has it been law that you can replace an injury with a 12th man who's allowed to bat and bowl (rather than just field ) ? I always thought if someone was injured (retired hurt) that was just tough titty ? It's probably been ages, but just haven't picked up on it !

Quite recently; this season, or last at the earliest.

The important criterion, however, is that it only applies to concussion injuries.

The other important criterion, so make that criteria ?, is that the substitute must be a 'like for like' player - so Parkinson, a spinner, for Leach, rather than (what might have been useful today) a batsman, like Brook, for example!

Edited again, as @phantom has now provided a useful link.

Edited by PHILINFRANCE
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Any 3 will be nervous with our batting line up, you are likely walking onto the field within the first 10 overs, so need the skills and temperament of an opener. Pope has neither. Bizarre selection. 

My guess would be a case of wanting a busy front foot (metaphorically) player at 3 to push us on

I don't mind low scoring test matches, they can be intriguing. If NZ can stretch a lead to 200+ I wouldn't bank on England getting the runs against Southee and Boult. My biggest complaint about the test match do far is the Sky commentary. While Mark Taylor has been a welcome add for this Shane Warne tribute test, the rest are so bland. It's as if they're all to scared to say anything that could possibly be construed as controversial. 

1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I don't mind low scoring test matches, they can be intriguing. If NZ can stretch a lead to 200+ I wouldn't bank on England getting the runs against Southee and Boult. My biggest complaint about the test match do far is the Sky commentary. While Mark Taylor has been a welcome add for this Shane Warne tribute test, the rest are so bland. It's as if they're all to scared to say anything that could possibly be construed as controversial. 

Let's be honest, there's absolutely no way this England side are chasing anything north of 200. 

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Let's be honest, there's absolutely no way this England side are chasing anything north of 200. 

Gonna be 300-350 the way it`s going.

You`re going tomorrow aren`t you? A day of NZ piling on the runs till twenty minutes before tea, declaring and England losing six wickets by stumps awaits I think.

1 hour ago, TomF said:

I’d say 30% chance maybe.  Strong opening partnership required 

That's like asking us to hold on to a 1-0 lead with 5 minutes to go.

Honestly just called Bairstow getting bowled on the last ball of Jamieson's spell (if its his last over) rather than just seeing off the bowler. This is what you get from a player whose just been in the IPL rather than playing red ball cricket for months.

Just now, Lrrr said:

Honestly just called Bairstow getting bowled on the last ball of Jamieson's spell (if its his last over) rather than just seeing off the bowler. This is what you get from a player whose just been in the IPL rather than playing red ball cricket for months.

It doesn`t seem to be bothering Trent Boult too much..............................................

3 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

It doesn`t seem to be bothering Trent Boult too much..............................................

I'd argue bowling is an easier mindset to change as its not a case of one mistake and done

• Like 1