IGNORED

International Cricket

Monkeh

So happy with that result, and great for Topley. Sets up Sunday nicely.

Bit surprising how badly our top 5 or 6 have fared against India. As great as their attack is, Buttler, Ali, Bairstow etc been quality in the IPL.

Imagine if we had a fully fit / available Wood, Rashid and Archer on the pitch!

22 minutes ago, DolmanGaz said:

Also, loved Willey taking Kholi's wicket. Never thought I'd say it, but having Kholi in their team is working for us, not them. Been out of form for a couple of years, and I genuinely wonder how much his team mates enjoy his antics...

I was thinking the same during the Test the other week. I know they're different personalities, but when you look at how Root seems to have slotted back into the ranks after resigning the captaincy and happy to be just one of the team again, then see Kohli constantly looking to be centre of attention, arguing with umpires and the opposition, the new captain must be a bit miffed to say the least.

20 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

I was thinking the same during the Test the other week. I know they're different personalities, but when you look at how Root seems to have slotted back into the ranks after resigning the captaincy and happy to be just one of the team again, then see Kohli constantly looking to be centre of attention, arguing with umpires and the opposition, the new captain must be a bit miffed to say the least.

well, looking at Root and Kholi specifically, Root has had a ridiculous 18 months or so with the bat, going from trailing Kohli to leading him for centuries in test matches. easier to drop back into the team when you're on fire, and arguably getting better... can't be easy for such a confident chap as Kohli to be struggling so badly for so long I guess. not defending him though, finally gave up defending him with that blown kiss at bairstow... part of me wishes the england team rose to him a bit more, would love to have seen him on the end of some verbals with all these low scores he keeps making, haha

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

also, i just love how Root handles himself. I saw him interviewed after the recent test win v India, where he had batted so well, and he was so modest and self deprecating, almost mocking his own time as captain. Class act. In 20 years nobody will be saying such things about Kohli, regardless of how fantastic of a batsman he has been.

• Like 1

also also, and i'm a fairly recent convert to cricket, but I was so incredibly impressed when Sky interviewed Buttler in the midst of the recent India test. he speaks so well, and intelligently. I won't roll out tired cricket/rugby vs footy cliches, but he seems a properly good bloke, very intelligent, and i was very happy for him today to get back on par against India. I hope he does well as captain, tough act to follow, and infinitely harder task than what Stokes has been faced with, as the white ball expectations are so high. ok semi-drunken rant over!!

Edited by DolmanGaz

1 hour ago, Super said:

Is it fair to say the one day game no longer has the appeal of a test match or a 20 over game?

I must say that, going back to the days of the Gillette Cup, the one day game is probably my preferred version.

It was just such a wonderful day out, and I recall trips with my father, mainly to Taunton, but also to other counties, New Road and The Oval being my favourites.

My favourite was the Peter Denning inspired win against a star studded Surrey side, just an absolutely fantastic day - more than 400 runs scored between them, which was a phenomenal total back then.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I must say that, going back to the days of the Gillette Cup, the one day game is probably my preferred version.

It was just such a wonderful day out, and I recall trips with my father, mainly to Taunton, but also to other counties, New Road and The Oval being my favourites.

My favourite was the Peter Denning inspired win against a star studded Surrey side, just an absolutely fantastic day - more than 400 runs scored between them, which was a phenomenal total back then.

I used to really enjoy the midweek Gillette and B&H games, going to places like Old Trafford and Lord`s. In one of them, you used to play a Minor County in the first round too - I recall watching Somerset v Shropshire at Wellington (the one near Telford) where they had Steve Ogrizovic playing.

Morgan undeniably a brilliant captain, but I’m not sure you can put down a top seven as talented, experienced and successful as this playing this poorly all of a sudden down to the captain.

Roy, Stokes and Livingstone all look horribly out of nick.

Shouldn’t be overlooked that we’ve been playing a largely seconds/thirds bowling attack over the last couple of weeks as well.

• Like 1

He’s not actually in the current squad but once this series is over I think it should be Brook coming in at four in Stokes’ place.

Of course we may find it slightly tricky replacing some of our great white ball players, when the time comes over the next few years, as we realise that the most talented players in the country haven’t been playing the actual format that the showpiece international white ball tournament is played in.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

He’s not actually in the current squad but once this series is over I think it should be Brook coming in at four in Stokes’ place.

Of course we may find it slightly tricky replacing some of our great white ball players, when the time comes over the next few years, as we realise that the most talented players in the country haven’t been playing the actual format that the showpiece international white ball tournament is played in.

Brook or Pope should both slot in at 4 quite nicely in theory, the we'll still have the issue of being a seamer light though. Root and Livingston may well have to cover these overs between them with part time spin which isnt ideal although with the next WC being in India it may not be the worst thing.

• Like 1