IGNORED

International Cricket

Monkeh

• Admin
4 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

What's it like for the Taunton fans to see England play at Bristol? Can't imagine I'd enjoy the England footy team playing at the Mem

Don't go near it, crap ground ?

I hadn't realised that this game (like the women against SA) was live on BBC2 

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

What's it like for the Taunton fans to see England play at Bristol? Can't imagine I'd enjoy the England footy team playing at the Mem

Doesn’t bother me. Somerset are my team but I always want Glos to win as well unless they are playing Somerset.  

Watched James Bracey bat for Winterbourne last weekend. A faultless 67 before mistiming one to mid wicket.  Very nice lad and happy to chat to the kids watching after the game. If that was a Rovers player playing for a local team I wouldn’t have gone to watch!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, phantom said:

I have to hold my hands up and say I have no idea what he is on about here? 

Anyone? 

Screenshot_20220728-230753_Twitter.jpg

Guessing he means that Curran is fighting for a place in the side so needs runs but if he is smacking the spin he’s got an increased chance of failure. It’s nonsense really as he should do what he has been told to do and not think of his own situation. Stokes is praising the bare minimum here. Even the kids I coach wouldn’t just go out there and nudge it around for their average so a pro cricketer certainly shouldn’t be. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Guessing he means that Curran is fighting for a place in the side so needs runs but if he is smacking the spin he’s got an increased chance of failure. It’s nonsense really as he should do what he has been told to do and not think of his own situation. Stokes is praising the bare minimum here. Even the kids I coach wouldn’t just go out there and nudge it around for their average so a pro cricketer certainly shouldn’t be. 

Wasn't it a historical criticism of Indian players? If they thought the game was drifting they would dab it about to bolster their own stats

12 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Wasn't it a historical criticism of Indian players? If they thought the game was drifting they would dab it about to bolster their own stats

Certainly Indian players and fans love their stats. Many high profile Indians have been accused of selfish play many times. Tendulkar, Kohli, Gavaskar, Dhoni. Usually for batting for their average or a milestone. Dhoni definitely used to send others out to bat ahead of him if India were looking like they were going to lose. 

11 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Certainly Indian players and fans love their stats. Many high profile Indians have been accused of selfish play many times. Tendulkar, Kohli, Gavaskar, Dhoni. Usually for batting for their average or a milestone. Dhoni definitely used to send others out to bat ahead of him if India were looking like they were going to lose. 

I remember an ODI at Lords a few years ago where India were chasing and fell behind the rate, though not completely out of the game if they accelerated towards the end. Dhoni came in at about no.6 or 7 and essentially treated it like a net session, scoring at about a 50% strike rate and barely playing an attacking shot, when he might have been expected to take a few risks to try and get then close. Think he was either not out at the end or last man out.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TomF said:

The 50 over game is basically on its deathbed 

Unfortunately, I fear you are correct, which, for me, is a great shame.

Many of my favourite cricket memories are of the 50ish over format, first the Gillette Cup, later to become the Nat West Trophy (initially 65 overs, but later reduced to 60 - Lancs vs Mike Proctor's Glos sticks in my mind, live on the BBC and finishing in darkness, although the earlier Somerset vs Surrey game was my personal favourite), then the Benson and Hedges Cup (initially 55 overs, but then 50 - anybody remember the infamous Brian Rose game away to Worcestershire?). 

These one day games were, for me, the perfect format, combining the then three day game with a quicker version of the same thing, but all over and done with in a full day.

Sadly, the current version, using 'reserve' teams due to the abominable 100, is very much a watered down version, although it does give us the chance to see up and coming players and, of course, the live streaming was a great innovation and welcome bonus during the COVID  confinement.

18 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Unfortunately, I fear you are correct, which, for me, is a great shame.

Many of my favourite cricket memories are of the 50ish over format, first the Gillette Cup, later to become the Nat West Trophy (initially 65 overs, but later reduced to 60 - Lancs vs Mike Proctor's Glos sticks in my mind, live on the BBC and finishing in darkness, although the earlier Somerset vs Surrey game was my personal favourite), then the Benson and Hedges Cup (initially 55 overs, but then 50 - anybody remember the infamous Brian Rose game away to Worcestershire?). 

These one day games were, for me, the perfect format, combining the then three day game with a quicker version of the same thing, but all over and done with in a full day.

Sadly, the current version, using 'reserve' teams due to the abominable 100, is very much a watered down version, although it does give us the chance to see up and coming players and, of course, the live streaming was a great innovation and welcome bonus during the COVID  confinement.

Agree, my favourite Somerset game was at Lord's v Notts, in the B&H Viv decided it was a Viv day and pretty much knocked the runs off on his own ..

On 07/08/2022 at 11:28, TomF said:

The 50 over game is basically on its deathbed 

And would you be still saying that if Somerset were top of their group? Sometimes our feelings about competitions can be tempered by our teams performance in them.

Almost everyone had a downer on the League Cup in the seasons leading up to our run to the Semi-final, a season when you could barely find a dissenting voice.

Edited by Port Said Red

12 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

You will get periods like this if they are determined to play this way, looks like we will have to get used to taking the bad with the good.

And to put it into context we won 1 test match of the previous 17 before Stokes and Brendan came together, since then 4 wins in a row. 

There will be games when we are rolled for 100 but I’d much rather see England play (even lose) in this manner than some of the turgid, meek performances I’ve had the misfortune to watch over the last few years. 

• Like 1

In my memory it’s just been the fans that have worn red. Sometimes the wickets have been changed to pink ones.  Todays bell ringer was a lad called Jake who plays for the cricket team I coach. He’s a brilliant kid.  His dad died 18 months ago. Very emotional moment for his family and his mum who is a wonderful woman. The Ruth Strauss Foundation has been a huge help for them. 

• Like 1