IGNORED

International Cricket

Monkeh

On 16/08/2021 at 20:55, TomF said:

Everything thats wrong with cricket at moment summed up by this.  The f**cking hundred is the first story on the sports section of the BBC. Not that India won etc. 

Fully expecting the T20 Blast to be killed off to allow for more 4 day cricket while not destroying the ECB's precious wanky tournament

100.PNG

It may well not be your cup of tea, but watching the Hundred has inspired my boy to go out and play cricket. 

That's gotta be a good thing, and he will grow into watching the longer form game

Just now, TonyTonyTony said:

It may well not be your cup of tea, but watching the Hundred has inspired my boy to go out and play cricket. 

That's gotta be a good thing, and he will grow into watching the longer form game

Have to agree. That innings by Livingstone last night was great entertainment.

14 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

13 minutes ago, Super said:

Have to agree. That innings by Livingstone last night was great entertainment.

Firstly, if the 100 can inspire youngsters, boys and/or girls, to take up cricket then that can only be a good thing.

When I was a young boy growing up in Bristol, I was fortunate in that my father was keen on cricket so we would often play in the garden; in the local park or even, during annual summer holidays, on the beach.

In addition, cricket was frequently available on free to air television, BBC 1 and/or 2, so we (as children) became accustomed to watching Test Matches on weekday evenings or, on Sunday afternoons, what was then the John Player 40 over competition.

At the close of play, we would replay some of the shots in the garden, just as one used to see young children playing tennis in the local parks (or even in the street!) during Wimbledon, also available on free to air television, and we developed an interest.

Unfortunately, if I understand correctly, cricket has not been available on free to air television in the UK for several years, nor, indeed, is it any longer played in many schools: how then, can a child be inspired to take an interest in cricket or take up the game? 

To this end, a game of quick bash cricket, played by both men and women, on free to air television showing colourful outfits and fireworks cannot fail to attract children's interest and, as I say, this has to be a good thing.

Of course, the 100 is not 'traditional' cricket, but, then again, to be fair, nor is 20 over cricket.   

My gripe with the 100, for I am most certainly not a fan, is the detrimental effect it appears to be having on the traditional tournaments and, more importantly, on the traditional county teams - not to mention our Test team, but that is another story!.

I have not the slightest interest in the 100 per se, and certainly not in London Spirit or Welsh Hula Hoops, but I may well tune in later this evening to watch Tom Banton, just as I have tried previously to catch a bit of Will Smeed.

On the odd occasion I have watched snatches of the games, I have seen a high standard of cricket, but none of the teams are my team, and that, I suppose, is my point: I truly do not care who wins or loses and, surely, that is what sport is all about, competing but also trying to win, for both players and supporters.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching Somerset reserves/youth competing in the Royal London 50 over cup, even though we failed to qualify for the quarter finals, because I had a genuine interest in both the match itself and the result.

Roll on 26 August and 30 August.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, TomF said:

If Mahmood gets picked over Craig I’d honestly just turn around and tell them to stick it because he’s never getting a game 

It'll be Mahmood, why have him carrying drinks all summer when you can get a Somerset player to do it, see Ali and Leach as well

• Like 1

350-3 it is then...

Michael Vaughan

Former England captain on BBC Test Match Special

England have got a chance of just blowing away this India side. It's about being disciplined now. Take your chances. There's a real opportunity of dismissing India for around 100.

12 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

They were saying on TMS that the footmarks were showing more than expected early on so worth a try - that was Vic Marks too.

To be fair, he only bowled two overs, but I just felt that, if they were going to give Craig a chance, he would heve preferred a ball with lots of shine and, in addition, whilst conditions were still quite favourable - the sun is now out.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

To be fair, he only bowled two overs, but I just felt that, if they were going to give Craig a chance, he would heve preferred a ball with lots of shine and, in addition, whilst conditions were still quite favourable - the sun is now out.

Well he was just gifted one there. I can just imagine the uproar if an England batsmen got out to that shot that Rohit just played.