IGNORED

International Cricket

Monkeh

The problem is that over the last 10 years, we have leaned too much on Broad and Anderson to deliver. They have made us almost unbeatable in England, with just one series loss at home under the captaincies of Root and Cook. That is, until this year, where we lost both series. They are no spring chickens anymore, and as their brilliance fades, the paper falls from the cracks that is our batting line up.

No other team collapses quite like England. This is evident when you look at draw percentages. A draw, although often weather related, is usually combined with both sides performing patiently and intelligently with the bat. It is also often a tactical decision by one side to salvage a match which, if played till a result was had, would be lost. The draw percentage under Cook was 22% of matches. Under Root it is just 14%. 

Compare this to the previous four England captains. Strauss 30%. Vaughan 27%. Hussain 29%. Atherton 37%. We are now drawing only half what we were. This shows the state of our batting. If you don't trust your batsmen to bat for hours, then tactically you are left with the one day batting tactics we repeatedly adopt. 

It should be noted that Root has won more matches than any other England captain, but with his best bowlers on the decline, I can't see us competing in tests for many years. 

20 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

The problem is that over the last 10 years, we have leaned too much on Broad and Anderson to deliver. They have made us almost unbeatable in England, with just one series loss at home under the captaincies of Root and Cook. That is, until this year, where we lost both series. They are no spring chickens anymore, and as their brilliance fades, the paper falls from the cracks that is our batting line up.

No other team collapses quite like England. This is evident when you look at draw percentages. A draw, although often weather related, is usually combined with both sides performing patiently and intelligently with the bat. It is also often a tactical decision by one side to salvage a match which, if played till a result was had, would be lost. The draw percentage under Cook was 22% of matches. Under Root it is just 14%. 

Compare this to the previous four England captains. Strauss 30%. Vaughan 27%. Hussain 29%. Atherton 37%. We are now drawing only half what we were. This shows the state of our batting. If you don't trust your batsmen to bat for hours, then tactically you are left with the one day batting tactics we repeatedly adopt. 

It should be noted that Root has won more matches than any other England captain, but with his best bowlers on the decline, I can't see us competing in tests for many years. 

Good post. 

I believe that it’s no coincidence that our batting collapses coincide with playing increasingly shorter formats of the game. One of the key elements of batting at any level is concentration and you don’t have to do that as intensely, for example, in the 100 or T20. The ECB is responsible for that. 

Test cricket, in England at least, continues to make the ECB the most money. The whole domestic season should be build around the Test schedule, with county cricket taking place week in, week out in the height of summer. Let batsmen hone their technique. And who knows, we might even develop a genuine Test spinner. 

The counter argument for that is a lot of the Australia XI played in the T20 WC final. Cummins, Hazelwood, Warner, Smith etc. So if they can easily switch format, why can’t our players? 

As for Root, wonderful batsman as he is,  he’s the worst captain we’ve had in many years. His win percentage, just like his batting average this year, is reflective of how many Tests we’re playing and many of those are on home soil. 

Edited by tin
  • Like 1

I'd have to check the stats, but I think the numbers of drawn Tests are down across the board over the last few years, not just involving England.

A large part of that has to be down to the increased amounts of white ball cricket, players have found new and inventive ways to score more quickly so the scoring rate has gone up, but they don't have the technique and mindset to occupy the crease for long periods of time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

I'd have to check the stats, but I think the numbers of drawn Tests are down across the board over the last few years, not just involving England.

A large part of that has to be down to the increased amounts of white ball cricket, players have found new and inventive ways to score more quickly so the scoring rate has gone up, but they don't have the technique and mindset to occupy the crease for long periods of time.

I heard something last summer (on TMS I think) that a ridiculous percentage of tests now don`t go to a fourth or fifth day compared to the past.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Lets face it

Burns doesnt have the technique to play club cricket!!!

4 hours ago, The Bard said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/59626553

A cracking article showing up the utter ineptitude of our batting save except for Root. If Burns is our 2nd best batsman, we're ****ed.

Beat me to it. 

The following summarised extract is quite extraordinary:

• England's collective batting average this year is currently 23.6, with seven centuries in 13 Tests. That's the fourth worst since World War One
  • England's collective batting average in 2011 (which started with an Ashes series win in Australia) was 55.9, with 16 centuries in eight Tests.

In that time, we've gone from a top seven of Strauss, Cook, Trott, KP, Collingwood, Bell and Prior to Burns, Hameed, Malan, Root, Stokes, Pope, Buttler. How many of the current crop would get in the class of 2010/11?

Stokes at 7 would the only one for me. I don't think Root would've scored the volume of runs he has this year against the quality of bowling a decade ago.

Edited by tin

3 hours ago, tin said:

Beat me to it. 

• England's collective batting average this year is currently 23.6, with seven centuries in 13 Tests. That's the fourth worst since World War One
  • England's collective batting average in 2011 (which started with an Ashes series win in Australia) was 55.9, with 16 centuries in eight Tests.

In that time, we've gone from a top seven of Strauss, Cook, Trott, KP, Collingwood, Bell and Prior to Burns, Hameed, Malan, Root, Stokes, Pope, Buttler. How many of the current crop would get in the class of 2010/11?

Stokes at 7 would the only one for me. I don't think Root would've scored the volume of runs he has this year against the quality of bowling a decade ago.

Stokes and Root get in any England team

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tin said:

Beat me to it. 

Root better than collingwood and bell 

• Like 1

What are we doing for the next test then?

Does Root back himself to bowl 30 overs of spin that will be needed?

If not does Bess overtake Leach?

For me I don’t think you can pick both of the old uns with zero match overs in their legs!

Interesting most people are focussing on the bowling side, which on the whole performed ok.

Is there any batter who deserves to come in?

Burns

Hameed

Malan

Root

Stokes

Pope

Buttler

Robinson

Wood

Leach

Anderson

Drops Woakes out which elongates the tail, but think Wood & probably Leach have to play.

24 minutes ago, super slick said:

What are we doing for the next test then?

Does Root back himself to bowl 30 overs of spin that will be needed?

If not does Bess overtake Leach?

For me I don’t think you can pick both of the old uns with zero match overs in their legs!

Interesting most people are focussing on the bowling side, which on the whole performed ok.

Is there any batter who deserves to come in?

Burns

Hameed

Malan

Root

Stokes

Pope

Buttler

Robinson

Wood

Leach

Anderson

Drops Woakes out which elongates the tail, but think Wood & probably Leach have to play.

Bess for me - much as I love Jack at least he can bat a bit.