IGNORED

International Cricket

Monkeh

2 hours ago, bearded_red said:

The argument that The ECB have chosen the money of white ball cricket instead of the purity of first class cricket doesn’t stack up though does it.

The ECB make the vast, vast majority of their money through the 6/7 test matches they host every year.

The Hundred doesn’t make money. It loses money. And lots of it.

We can all write lists of people that need to go, and we’d all be naming roughly the same people. But if none of these lists can leave off Tom Harrison. His removal should be announced well before we all start debating who should be the next captain and coach and who are the next batch of unqualified top order batsmen to be thrown in with next to no chance of succeeding.

I think it's a case if the tail wagging the dog though, as it's the players that can earn more money through white ball cricket, than first class. I'm guessing white ball cricket is far more popular globally too. You only have to look at the near empty stadiums, which I have seen first hand, in India for example for Tests. 

The Hundred may not earn money at the moment but the ECB hold exclusive rights to the format, so if it is successful they can sell the rights globally for a fortune. For that reason, it's here to stay for the time being. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I think it's a case if the tail wagging the dog though, as it's the players that can earn more money through white ball cricket, than first class. 

That’s absolutely an acceptable explanation for the players missing county cricket due to being away at the IPL.

But the Hundred? Its the ECB that decided to throw loads of cash (cash they have from the broadcast deal that is largely for test matches!) at average county players to spend the peak of the summer playing in their white elephant of a tournament.

Clearly first class cricket has its financial concerns, but for the ECB Test Cricket is their cash cow. Over two thirds of the 1.1 billion broadcast deal is for the test matches. One single test match brings in more ticket revenue than a whole season of the hundred. 

Test matches, in this country at least, pay the bills. It’s remarkable the attitude the ECB has to them.

This isn’t a young team that’s been thrown under the bus. Look at the ages of our better players, this is a team that’s only going to get worse. As incredible as that sounds.

• Flames 1

It's noticeable that American sport comes over here virtually unaltered in its format whereas to sell cricket to America its format has to be changed to the point of damaging the origins of the game! 

I assume that millions have been thrown at the kind of marketing people who have neither watched nor played cricket!

As an under 11s cricket coach I can vouch that kids don’t know how to defend but it’s up to us coaches to make them realise that they cannot rely on that. They will realise themselves in 2-3 years when they keep getting bowled and/or end up at a level of cricket too good for them. My son is a defence minded batsman as I’ve drilled that into him.  his teammate who smashes it everywhere won player of the year for his club. However, put them against county bowlers and my lad is much more likely to get to 20-30 as the other lad gets bowled immediately. 

7 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Broad in for Robinson, who has a shoulder injury, is the only change from last week.

Reading reports from the England camp that Broad is like a "caged tiger".

Fully expect him to come steaming in and bowl with venom and bat like a man possessed, then.

Or maybe not.

On 28/12/2021 at 15:23, Maltshoveller said:

Have you seen the size of the bats these days

i havent played since an inter dealer game between clevedon garages and whites of taunton in the 90s. i was bowled second ball so it wasnt big enough then. are they bigger nowadays?  perhaps we could have smaller wickets when its englands turn to bat.

EDIT. just looked up bat sizes and came across this.  why oh why did they change it??

The history of the cricket bat

The earliest cricket bat used was believed to be in 1620 when a batsman hit the fielder with a bat to prevent him from catching the ball. The shape of the bat was thought to be similar to modern hockey sticks since rolling the arm over wasn't yet practised at the time.

Edited by redsquirrel