IGNORED

International Cricket

Monkeh

3 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Khawaja has more runs in the series than all bar 2 of the England batsmen. 

He’s also been scoring big runs in the Sheffield Shield, and averages 41 in Test cricket (more than all of our rabble aside from Root).

Really poor drop from Root when he was on 28 as well. That should be taken at any level. Then, after we had a good afternoon session, he decides to bowl Malan with Khawaja on 99*. 

Another innings defeat beckons IMO. 

Just now, Globe Trotter said:

I think it will be too. He looks totally lost and caught between trying to play his natural game and a more traditional Test innings. 

I'm guessing he'll take over from Morgan and just play the shorter version.

2 minutes ago, Globe Trotter said:

He looks totally lost and caught between trying to play his natural game and a more traditional Test innings. 

This is the issue for a lot of them. Look at Bairstow today - was that a "typical" test match hundred? Too much white ball cricket is the issue, and we all know it.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

This is the issue for a lot of them. Look at Bairstow today - was that a "typical" test match hundred? Too much white ball cricket is the issue, and we all know it.

Really good thoughts from Stuart Law on TMS during one of the rain breaks today which pretty much nailed it. It`s always good to hear from someone on the outside who can tell it like it is.

34 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Really good thoughts from Stuart Law on TMS during one of the rain breaks today which pretty much nailed it. It`s always good to hear from someone on the outside who can tell it like it is.

I heard him last night and thought he was excellent!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I turned off and went bed when Hamed was bowled - what a shot! - so missed the three wicket collapse just minutes later, together with Stuart Law’s comments.

Are you able to outline, briefly, what he said?

Thanks.

7 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I turned off and went bed when Hamed was bowled - what a shot! - so missed the three wicket collapse just minutes later, together with Stuart Law’s comments.

Are you able to outline, briefly, what he said?

Thanks.

He was really just saying the the Counties need to decide what is more important, trophies or producing players for England and until it`s the latter England will continue to fail. He talked a lot about pitches and groundstaff preparing wickets to suit their own side and suggested that the preparation should be ECB controlled with the staff as employees of them which seemed a bit of a long shot to me. The timing of the red ball season was also discussed with his preferred option being the 50 over tournament being in April/early May, then go to the CC with a break in mid summer for the T20 and that damned Hundred and then back to the CC. He was in favour of a 9/9 divisional split so each county gets a game `off` for r&r. There was lots more too but I admit I was half-asleep listening!

@BanburyRedmight be able to fill in a bit more!

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

He was really just saying the the Counties need to decide what is more important, trophies or producing players for England and until it`s the latter England will continue to fail. He talked a lot about pitches and groundstaff preparing wickets to suit their own side and suggested that the preparation should be ECB controlled with the staff as employees of them which seemed a bit of a long shot to me. The timing of the red ball season was also discussed with his preferred option being the 50 over tournament being in April/early May, then go to the CC with a break in mid summer for the T20 and that damned Hundred and then back to the CC. He was in favour of a 9/9 divisional split so each county gets a game `off` for r&r. There was lots more too but I admit I was half-asleep listening!

@BanburyRedmight be able to fill in a bit more!

You've just about covered everything there, @Lanterne Rouge. Like SL said, the counties need to decide if they're developing players and themselves to win the County Championship, or developing players for the England team. I also thought he made an interesting point about the groundstaff, instead of making pitches to suit the respective county teams who play directly on them, making them more representative of pitches they might expect to encounter at test level, which was a point I'd never thought of before, effectively having groundstaff being centrally contracted to the ECB. Like you say LR, very much a long shot. He also made the point that it's nonsense to suggest England came to Australia underprepared, given the amount of test cricket they had already played. More like underprepared when they arrived, with no effective contingency once Australia XI warm up games weren't available due to COVID etc.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

He was really just saying the the Counties need to decide what is more important, trophies or producing players for England and until it`s the latter England will continue to fail. He talked a lot about pitches and groundstaff preparing wickets to suit their own side and suggested that the preparation should be ECB controlled with the staff as employees of them which seemed a bit of a long shot to me.

There was lots more too but I admit I was half-asleep listening!

Thanks for your response - you obviously managed to stay awake for longer than me.

2 hours ago, BanburyRed said:

Like SL said, the counties need to decide if they're developing players and themselves to win the County Championship, or developing players for the England team. I also thought he made an interesting point about the groundstaff, instead of making pitches to suit the respective county teams who play directly on them, making them more representative of pitches they might expect to encounter at test level, which was a point I'd never thought of before, effectively having groundstaff being centrally contracted to the ECB. 

On the subject of producing/developing players for the England team, it might help if it could be arranged for First Class matches to be played in the summer; when the sun is (normally) shining for most of the day and both batsmen and bowlers can get used to spending the whole day in the field. The current idea of trying to fit FC matches in during rainy April and, similarly, during September is an expensive folly, weakening the lucrative Test Match side for the benefit of The 100 and its overseas 'stars'.  

On the subject of producing 'Test Match' pitches as opposed to those favouring their own side, this sounds a wonderful idea in principle, but I remain sceptical.

What sort of 'Test Match' pitch does he have in mind? A hard and fast (but perhaps a bit bumpy) one like one might find in The Caribbean; a hard, fast and true one like in Australia, or a dust bowl as one might expect to find in India?

I seem to recall that, after years of being criticised for producing 'roads', we (Somerset) tried to produce a spin friendly pitch, but fell foul of the authorities and suffered a points deduction - perhaps we should have sought some advce from Essex, who seem to manage regularly to produce a spin friendly pitch without incurring the wrath of Middlesex's finest. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Can we bat all day tomorrow? It looks like the weather will help if nothing else.

Billingswatch has been great fun on TMS though!

Thunderstorms in steak and kidney tonight. Should dry up though by brekkie tomorrow morning.