IGNORED

International Cricket

Monkeh

7 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Stokes has always said he doesn’t want it but now I guess we will find out if he was just saying that at the time. If not him then Broad. There’s nobody else. Seen some people talking about Abell, who is in incredibly bad form for Somerset so an appointment like that would be truly baffling 

James Vince and Rory Burns I have seen as well.

Just don't get why pundits see Stokes as the obvious choice. Leaving aside injury concerns England's record of promoting their 'superstars' to captain has not met much favour in recent times, Botham, Pietersen, Flintoff immediately spring to mind. If Morgan isn't playing red ball cricket then personally I'd look at Bairstow, another gritty yorkshireman. 

11 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Just don't get why pundits see Stokes as the obvious choice. Leaving aside injury concerns England's record of promoting their 'superstars' to captain has not met much favour in recent times, Botham, Pietersen, Flintoff immediately spring to mind. If Morgan isn't playing red ball cricket then personally I'd look at Bairstow, another gritty yorkshireman. 

Stokes is the only other player who is an automatic pick so I think it’s only natural that he is the favourite

From all accounts I’ve read and heard, Bairstow isn’t captain material 

9 hours ago, Lrrr said:

And Rob Key’s qualifications amount to….?

Harrison gives the reason as:

Following a thorough recruitment process, Rob stood out in a very competitive field," said ECB chief executive officer Tom Harrison.

"His passion and knowledge of the game at domestic and international level is outstanding. He is a proven leader and combines an approachable nature with fresh original thinking and resilience which will stand him in good stead. 

"He will bring a lot to the role and I am sure players and staff alike will enjoy working with Rob."

It seems an odd one to me as well.  Very interested to see what plans he puts in place to chance the short term and the long term.  Agree with you on Broad as captain. Seems by far the most sensible short term solution 

9 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Harrison gives the reason as:

Following a thorough recruitment process, Rob stood out in a very competitive field," said ECB chief executive officer Tom Harrison.

"His passion and knowledge of the game at domestic and international level is outstanding. He is a proven leader and combines an approachable nature with fresh original thinking and resilience which will stand him in good stead. 

"He will bring a lot to the role and I am sure players and staff alike will enjoy working with Rob."

It seems an odd one to me as well.  Very interested to see what plans he puts in place to chance the short term and the long term.  Agree with you on Broad as captain. Seems by far the most sensible short term solution 

I read that and was expecting it to have been written by Mark Ashton!

Nothing like KP hypocrisy shining through again

• County championship cricket is so poor it needs to be franchised
  • England should be picking a player (Livingstone) who only averages 12 in CC this season, or its the average people are quoting online in response if its wrong.

Also looks like Brendan McCullum has emerged as a contender for test coach, if his coaching style is like his playing style could complement a system Stokes perhaps wants to implement.