IGNORED

International Cricket

Monkeh

4 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Did they say it was the first time a team have conceded 550 or more in the first innings and won? 

There were so many other records being related, I wasn't sure if that was one of them.

Definitely not, I remember England declaring in 2006 in Australia for 550 and famously lost

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

He wasn't in the last chance saloon at all. Averaged nearly 50 in the Ashes (granted only played 4 innings) and only Root scored more runs than him in the Windies.

Bairstow wasn't close to being dropped, and certainly won't be now. 

I agree with you Kid. I think the Captain and the Coach have decided to take the rough with the smooth with him. 

Personally I think it's a bit like an out of form star striker in football, the only place they can't score from is the sidelines. 

If you want "match winner YJB" then you have to put up with getting "out for 10 3rd ball YJB" as well.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I agree with you Kid. I think the Captain and the Coach have decided to take the rough with the smooth with him. 

Personally I think it's a bit like an out of form star striker in football, the only place they can't score from is the sidelines. 

If you want "match winner YJB" then you have to put up with getting "out for 10 3rd ball YJB" as well.

Definitely. Under previous regimes I think his place would have been on the line today, but they've clearly decided that he's the sort of player they want and have told him so, which might actually help him because he can go out there and not be fretting about being dropped if he fails.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

He wasn't in the last chance saloon at all. Averaged nearly 50 in the Ashes (granted only played 4 innings) and only Root scored more runs than him in the Windies.

Bairstow wasn't close to being dropped, and certainly won't be now. 

Poor old Harry Brooks.

I agree that it would have been harsh to have dropped YJB, however, especially after his century in the last Ashes series in Australia; when he bats well he is excellent, and thrilling with it.

My concern, anger even, is that he (and England) somehow expect him to transfer his considerable white ball skills to Test cricket almost overnight, with little or no red ball practice.

A very difficult task, although he made it look easy today, such is his talent.

• Like 1

What an innings by Bairstow, plenty on here including me saying it was time to move him on and Pope was never going to do anything at 3....so happy to be proven wrong. What a transformation in the space of a few weeks, bring on the Aussies next summer, be nice to see Anderson go past Warne during that series

3 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Yes. If any charges were going to affect that it wouldn't have been given back to them in the first place.

I presumed it would still go ahead, I was surprised how quickly they were forgiven having not actually forfeited any test matches.

26 minutes ago, Midred said:

I presumed it would still go ahead, I was surprised how quickly they were forgiven having not actually forfeited any test matches.

I think the argument from the club was that they needed the revenue from internationals to be able to make the changes that the ECB wanted in order for them to move forward, they'd have been ruined financially without it.

• Thanks 1

In the county cricket thread I predicted this week that Jamie O would overtake his twin in the England team, it looks like it’s happening quicker than I thought.

I still think he’s got some learning to do after a terrible start to his Surrey career but he really looked the bowler we all knew he could be this week at Taunton.

Im just glad the bouncer he bowled to his brother after he’d already concussed him missed his head, could have been very nasty.