IGNORED

International Cricket

Monkeh

New mankad rule is shit, batter in the crease on delivery stride, you can see the bowler looking down the wicket in delivery stride then looks across still in and just waits for them to walk out the crease. Why can't third umpire be used in this situation? Allow the mankad to happen, third umpire then looks to see if the batter is in the crease when the bowler enters the delivery stride? That way they're not trying to gain an advantage. I fully agree when a batter is taking the piss but don't agree with a mankad in this situation.

3 hours ago, Lrrr said:

New mankad rule is shit, batter in the crease on delivery stride, you can see the bowler looking down the wicket in delivery stride then looks across still in and just waits for them to walk out the crease. Why can't third umpire be used in this situation? Allow the mankad to happen, third umpire then looks to see if the batter is in the crease when the bowler enters the delivery stride? That way they're not trying to gain an advantage. I fully agree when a batter is taking the piss but don't agree with a mankad in this situation.

Firstly cricket has 'Laws' not 'rules', it also is not 'new'. The screen shot you've posted clearly shows the bowler has at least another 3/4 of an arm rotation before the point of delivery, this is the key point, not the delivery stride.

By the point of delivery the batter would be out of her ground therefore gaining an advantage.

Next month this form of dismissal is being moved to Law 38 Run Out,  to make it plain that it's not the bowler who's in the wrong. MCC view is that it's a legitimate method of dismissal and a warning is not required.

Edited by northsomersetred
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, northsomersetred said:

Firstly cricket has 'Laws' not 'rules', it also is not 'new'. The screen shot you've posted clearly shows the bowler has at least another 3/4 of an arm rotation before the point of delivery, this is the key point, not the delivery stride.

By the point of delivery the batter would be out of her ground therefore gaining an advantage.

Next month this form of dismissal is being moved to Law 38 Run Out,  to make it plain that it's not the bowler who's in the wrong. MCC view is that it's a legitimate method of dismissal and a warning is not required.

It’s the same as the fake out for a penalty in football though, you’re feigning bowling on the chance the batter leaves the crease, that’s where my suggestion of third umpire for looking at where the batter is when they stop their action, release point, delivering stride whatever point you want to say. If the batter isn’t out of the crease at the point they stop are they really trying to gain an advantage? 

5 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

It’s the same as the fake out for a penalty in football though, you’re feigning bowling on the chance the batter leaves the crease, that’s where my suggestion of third umpire for looking at where the batter is when they stop their action, release point, delivering stride whatever point you want to say. If the batter isn’t out of the crease at the point they stop are they really trying to gain an advantage? 

It's not the same, the batter has left her ground before the point of expected delivery, therefore gaining an unfair advantage.

I didn't watch the game but from that delivery i'd bet the batter was leaving her ground early on a few occasions and the Indians were aware of this.

26 minutes ago, northsomersetred said:

I know, a stumping is the same principle, batter out of their ground, do you want the wk to warn the batter before they're stumped?

And this one?

As I say, either you believe in the spirit first or the laws.  Warning before mankading has gone on for decades. It’s in the spirit. Stumping is different, no precedent for stumping warnings. The photo you have given could have resulted in a warning.  I completely accept that those newer to cricket may have a different view to me. And either views is fine. Personally I don’t understand mankading without a warning. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

As I say, either you believe in the spirit first or the laws.  Warning before mankading has gone on for decades. It’s in the spirit. Stumping is different, no precedent for stumping warnings. The photo you have given could have resulted in a warning.  I completely accept that those newer to cricket may have a different view to me. And either views is fine. Personally I don’t understand mankading without a warning. 

'Warning before mankading has gone on for decades'

It may happen now and again but there are players who play in the ECB Premier leagues that are known for it.

One bowler in particular in the South Wales Premier league is well known for it.

I umpire in the local leagues, i've never had it happen, if it did and the captain wanted to withdraw the appeal i would refuse the request and give the player out. It's gaining an unfair advantage.

As from next Saturday, it comes under Law 38 - Run Out, so there wont be any discussion about it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, northsomersetred said:

'Warning before mankading has gone on for decades'

It may happen now and again but there are players who play in the ECB Premier leagues that are known for it.

One bowler in particular in the South Wales Premier league is well known for it.

I umpire in the local leagues, i've never had it happen, if it did and the captain wanted to withdraw the appeal i would refuse the request and give the player out. It's gaining an unfair advantage.

As from next Saturday, it comes under Law 38 - Run Out, so there wont be any discussion about it.

No idea why you put the first bit in quote marks. What I’ve said is undeniably true. A vast majority of mankad opportunities end in a warning. I also umpire and coach and I get kids doing it every few games. I’ve had one kid whip the bails off and appeal and I told him to stop being silly and to warn first.   If you refused a withdrawal of an appeal then I’d say you are a poor umpire. You would be actively stopping the good nature of the withdraw. As for the rule change, yes I’m aware and disappointed. 

Choose the Gayle approach 

• Admin
15 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Haris Rauf is something else when he`s on it.

The more I see his action from the side and in slow motion his release looks like he is throwing the ball rather than "bowling" it

13 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Good series to watch though (apart from the ads). Two very even teams

I am never going to drink tea again lol

On 25/09/2022 at 14:45, And Its Smith said:

No idea why you put the first bit in quote marks. What I’ve said is undeniably true. A vast majority of mankad opportunities end in a warning. I also umpire and coach and I get kids doing it every few games. I’ve had one kid whip the bails off and appeal and I told him to stop being silly and to warn first.   If you refused a withdrawal of an appeal then I’d say you are a poor umpire. You would be actively stopping the good nature of the withdraw. As for the rule change, yes I’m aware and disappointed. 

Choose the Gayle approach 

Resorting to personal attacks?

Any she didn't leave her ground early, once, twice, three times or even 20 times before she was run out, she left her ground early 73 times during her innings.

If that isn't trying to gain an unfair advantage i don't know what is.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, northsomersetred said:

Resorting to personal attacks?

Any she didn't leave her ground early, once, twice, three times or even 20 times before she was run out, she left her ground early 73 times during her innings.

If that isn't trying to gain an unfair advantage i don't know what is.

Where is the personal attack?