IGNORED

International Cricket

Monkeh

15 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Indeed. Be very interesting to see if the likes of India and Australia try and follow. They may have to based on our performances so far this year. 

Warner decried Englands ‘new’ approach to Test cricket by saying something like “it’s very risky and they’ll come unstuck”  - probably Warner having another jibe before the Ashes series.

24 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It not often that I find test cricket boring but this one is about as dull and drab as it gets. A completely unresponsive  wicket is a batsman’s dream and a bowlers treadmill and does nothing to encourage fans to watch the ultimate game.

Such a disappointment.

While the pitch has helped, watching England break record after record on day 1 and in the following morning was not boring in the slightest.

I am old enough to remember the days when Babar Azam getting to 100 in 126 balls with 13 fours and a six was considered attacking Test cricket. :)

• Hmmm 1

22 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

While the pitch has helped, watching England break record after record on day 1 and in the following morning was not boring in the slightest.

I am old enough to remember the days when Babar Azam getting to 100 in 126 balls with 13 fours and a six was considered attacking Test cricket. :)

Tbh - most village cricket teams could have amassed a spectacular score on this wicket so whilst England broke various records in their first innings the pitch really helped - just look how Pakistan are doing pretty much the same.

This test has draw written all over it and pitches like this one do absolutely no favours to the reputation of test cricket.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Tbh - most village cricket teams could have amassed a spectacular score on this wicket so whilst England broke various records in their first innings the pitch really helped - just look how Pakistan are doing pretty much the same.

This test has draw written all over it and pitches like this one do absolutely no favours to the reputation of test cricket.

Rubbish, England didn't 'amass' runs, they scored them at a rate never dreamt of before. Pakistan are 'amassing' runs and the difference is like that of chalk and cheese.

3 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Rubbish, England didn't 'amass' runs, they scored them at a rate never dreamt of before. Pakistan are 'amassing' runs and the difference is like that of chalk and cheese.

Because of the docile wicket. I repeat most village cricket batsman would have found the wicket relatively easy to bat on. It’s gun barrel straight, no movement off the pitch with a rapid outfield - not what’s needed to promote test cricket.

Test wickets should be equally balanced for bat a ball that deteriorate over the five days and this one is anything but.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Because of the docile wicket. I repeat most village cricket batsman would have found the wicket relatively easy to bat on. It’s gun barrel straight, no movement off the pitch with a rapid outfield - not what’s needed to promote test cricket.

Test wickets should be equally balanced for bat a ball that deteriorate over the five days and this one is anything but.

They may have found it a little easier than normal, but village cricketers? Come on Robbo, why do you always double down on these crass statements, when someone shows you how inaccurate they are?

• Hmmm 1

26 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

They may have found it a little easier than normal, but village cricketers? Come on Robbo, why do you always double down on these crass statements, when someone shows you how inaccurate they are?

The only difficulty that decent village batsman would have had on this wicket is the pace. Few if any village bowlers can bowl at 80mph let alone the 90+ some professionals  can achieve.

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

The only difficulty that decent village batsman would have had on this wicket is the pace. Few if any village bowlers can bowl at 80mph let alone the 90+ some professionals  can achieve.

That's just one of the issues, I have known players who have had trials with Gloucestershire and Somerset and almost all were surprised how quick even spin bowling seemed in comparison. My nephew was knocking out runs like nobodies business in local league a few years back and was given a trial at Glos. They put together a game between the firsts and seconds to try out a few lads. He faced one over from Courtney Walsh and swore that he never saw a ball.

The size of the outfields was also an issue, he had rarely played anywhere where the boundary was so far away. 

The step up in class from local league to County level is hard enough, international? Forget it.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Hmm...

Well he did say he'd be prepared to lose to try and win.

Exactly and quite right too. Gives Pakistan a realistic chance of winning which in turn increases our chances. They’ve talked the talk and I’m glad they’re walking the walk, I’d have no complaints if we lose from this position