IGNORED

International Cricket

Monkeh

31 minutes ago, Super said:
Leaked again: Root, Cook, Stoneman, Malan, Ballance, Vince, Moeen, Crane, Foakes, Bairstow, Stokes, Woakes, Broad, Anderson, Ball, Overton.

Overton? 

Really?

I know it was rumoured, but I am surprised.

Edited to note that Crane has been included, but no place for Jack Leach :sad26:.

Edited by PHILINFRANCE

Overton :ph34r: Don't feel Crane is the right choice, no international experience 16 wickets at a 41 average compared to Leach 44 wickets at 27 and Bess 34 at 23 for comparison would mean selecting Crane would be a joke. Vince is an awful selection if ture, averaging 31 this season. Ballance being honest I don't mind seeing as no one is really knocking the door down for a place and it'd be better taking him than Westley. Foakes don't mind as back up keeper. 

3 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Overton? 

Really?

I know it was rumoured, but I am surprised.

Edited to note that Crane has been included, but no place for Jack Leach :sad26:.

3 hours ago, hodge said:

Overton :ph34r: Don't feel Crane is the right choice, no international experience 16 wickets at a 41 average compared to Leach 44 wickets at 27 and Bess 34 at 23 for comparison would mean selecting Crane would be a joke. Vince is an awful selection if ture, averaging 31 this season. Ballance being honest I don't mind seeing as no one is really knocking the door down for a place and it'd be better taking him than Westley. Foakes don't mind as back up keeper. 

All aboard the Crane train!

He is a very special talent, I'm a fully paid up member to his fan club, I believe he can do wonderful things for England. However he was left out of England short format to play 4 day for Hamps, couldn't break into their side... Odd one.

Like I said, the Vince call up is shambolic

Here we are then. Well done Craig.

ENGLAND’s SQUAD FOR 2017/2018 ASHES
Joe Root, Moeen Ali, James Anderson, Jonny Bairstow, Jake Ball, Gary Ballance, Stuart Broad, Alastair Cook, Mason Crane, Ben Foakes, Dawid Malan, Craig Overton, Ben Stokes, Mark Stoneman, James Vince, Chris Woakes.

That squad is shocking.    Seems to me that One day cricket is being prioritised.  Personally would have picked Hales and Buttler (as a batsman) and taken Rashid. 

Cook, Root, Bairstow, Stokes, Ali, Woakes, Broad, Anderson.  Those 8 know what they're doing.  The rest are either untried, unproven or already found out.  Balance?  The bloke will just be Johnson's bitch if he's picked. 

26 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Aussies to lose in my opinion. Lack of real pace that works so well down under, Broad and Anderson are not getting any younger. Can't bat. Could be shambolic 

Sure Glenn will be predicting a 5-0! I agree looks really week, Obviously Wood isn't fit?

So for me the only way we can win in Aus is to sort the batting. The solution for me is Root at 3. He needs to step up and be the next Vaughan or Ponting, so if we lose that early wicket, to stand his ground. Even if his average goes down, it would give a chance to whoever is batting 4 and 5 to face and older ball and a less energetic attack, thus scoring more than we'd lose with Root. 

Also if your captain is willing to take the bull by the horns then others may follow suit and our overall game may improve.

I'd also be tempted to play 6 bowlers (I know, I know) as Stokes, Woakes and Moeen are all effectively all-rounders. Take Crane so when the ball gets old, we can spin it both ways with Moeen and Crane. That said I may bring Wood in for Crane if he can prove his fitness as his pace would be valuable.

XI for 1st Test

1. Cook
  2. Stoneman
  3. Root
  4. Malan
  5. Bairstow
  6. Stokes
  7. Ali
  8. Woakes
  9. Broad
  10. Anderson
  11. Crane

3 hours ago, The Bard said:

That squad is shocking.    Seems to me that One day cricket is being prioritised.  Personally would have picked Hales and Buttler (as a batsman) and taken Rashid. 

Cook, Root, Bairstow, Stokes, Ali, Woakes, Broad, Anderson.  Those 8 know what they're doing.  The rest are either untried, unproven or already found out.  Balance?  The bloke will just be Johnson's bitch if he's picked. 

Buttler has played 4 CC games this season and not done well, if you're looking for an alternative to Foakes as back up then I'd have gone with Duckett.

I think you're right about Root at three @Welcome To The Jungle I just saw this from a Guerilla Cricket listener on twitter, a comparison of Root's overall test average against his average batting at three:

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/303669.html?batting_positionmax1=3;batting_positionmin1=3;batting_positionval1=batting_position;class=1;template=results;type=batting;view=innings

18 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

I think you're right about Root at three @Welcome To The Jungle I just saw this from a Guerilla Cricket listener on twitter, a comparison of Root's overall test average against his average batting at three:

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/303669.html?batting_positionmax1=3;batting_positionmin1=3;batting_positionval1=batting_position;class=1;template=results;type=batting;view=innings

It's a curse ;)

Those stats show that Root won't just stop scoring runs, plus he is a better player now. I still believe he could average around the 50 mark at three, which would allow our middle order to score more. 

If he doesn't then we'll carry one with the losing of early wickets and loads of pressure on the lower order to bail us out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

It's a curse ;)

Those stats show that Root won't just stop scoring runs, plus he is a better player now. I still believe he could average around the 50 mark at three, which would allow our middle order to score more. 

If he doesn't then we'll carry one with the losing of early wickets and loads of pressure on the lower order to bail us out. 

You couldn't have any other curses on you now, that wouldn't be right.

With Root at three at England's very good middle/lower order it should take the pressure off the newer guys bedding in, as you say. 

25 minutes ago, EmersonsRed said:

15 punches. Hales shouting "enough" consistently throughout yet he doesn't stop. Damning video. ECB must take action. Cannot take him, even if it means losing 5-0.

P.s Hales kicks the lad on floor in back of head?

Have to agree the video is very bad, the other guy may have thrown the first punch but Stokes is just relentless and needs to be made an example of frankly. Make him miss the ashes and it may hit home to sort himself out.