IGNORED

International Cricket

Monkeh

12 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

The advantages of Bazball are so enticing, this really could be a complete revolution of Test Cricket. 

Obviously it's entertaining, which is financially enticing. Potentially there could be more games, why do we need to schedule 5 days, other than for weather? As tense and exciting a battling draw can be, you would imagine the days of the boring ones are fast disappearing. 

From the batting teams perspective, you are pretty much removing the attacking field option, taking the second new ball out of the equation and constantly moving the fielder's around. 

When bowling, a greater variety of balls is required, the "length and line" approach is unlikely to get the results of the past. Teams will need more bowling options in their side and to bat all the way down the order.

When you look back 5-10 years, T20 was going to "kill test cricket", but it's influence has caused a major overhaul in the way teams approach the longer forms of the game. It's so exciting to see.

Excellent post PSR - a spot on appraisal.

Strauss never ever impressed me as a player or a coach. He always struck me as a dour and humourless  individual and the shake up at the top of English cricket was long overdue.

In comes Rob Keys, McCullum and Stokes and the three of them have revolutionised English Test cricket and what a joy it’s been to see this transformation.

As for T20 was going to ‘kill test cricket’ …………:rofl2br:……What T20 has done under the main men in English test cricket these days has allowed players to play with the same freedom in tests - a complete and utter change of mindset and when we see senior guys like Broad and Anderson  saying how different and enjoyable the attitude change is really sums it up.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TomF said:

The test for England will be when the opposition play the same tactics.    I predict that'll be the Aussies next Summer.

Yes, it wouldn't be the first time an England sporting team has led the way on something, only to be overtaken later by other better exponents. ;)

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Yes, it wouldn't be the first time an England sporting team has led the way on something, only to be overtaken later by other better exponents. ;)

Well we’re a far better T20 team than Australia and even though they beat us recently with a full team to chose from a better 50 over team too, so it’s not like they have an advantage there.

But yes, another team will surely follow and as Tom said it’ll probably be the Aussies, bring it on I say.

I think the big test will come when we lose a game, we’ve won 9/10 but even after the one slip up there were people ready to pounce and criticise. There’s bound to be games when it doesn’t work but we mustn’t then change mindset in the next game. 

not that long ago i couldnt have watched a cricket match but this year i have watched everything thats been on bbc i player thing. thoroughly enjoyed the t20 with all the different teams with different hard hitting batters. got more familiar with their names than opposing championship players?

Edited by redsquirrel
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, redsquirrel said:

not that long ago i couldnt have watched a cricket match but this year i have watched everything thats been on bbc i player thing. thoroughly enjoyed the t20 with all the different teams with different hard hitting batters. got more familiar with their names than opposing championship players?

Cricket is a wonderful game - some claim that it’s the greatest game of them all. The different formats, red ball, county and test cricket.

White ball, T20, ODI’s 

I got into cricket when the BBC had the rights and I remember Ian Botham and Bob Willis virtually winning the Ashes on their own in 1981 whilst I was at work and it was on the wards TV. Not long after I started watching Somerset live in Taunton in the days of Richards, Botham, Garner, Denning, Dredge, Marks, Brian Rose There’s not much better than a day watching decent level cricket - understanding the game helps of course including the minutiae. 

Never played at a decent level tho, just in the school team.

10 hours ago, Robbored said:

Excellent post PSR - a spot on appraisal.

Strauss never ever impressed me as a player or a coach. He always struck me as a dour and humourless  individual and the shake up at the top of English cricket was long overdue.

In comes Rob Keys, McCullum and Stokes and the three of them have revolutionised English Test cricket and what a joy it’s been to see this transformation.

As for T20 was going to ‘kill test cricket’ …………:rofl2br:……What T20 has done under the main men in English test cricket these days has allowed players to play with the same freedom in tests - a complete and utter change of mindset and when we see senior guys like Broad and Anderson  saying how different and enjoyable the attitude change is really sums it up.

Strauss has never coached so not surprised you weren’t impressed by it 

Sam Curran at £1.85m becomes the most expensive IPL player.

Wonder  when FIFA will catch on to this and create a summer International league where any professional player can be bid for to play for the German Panzers or for the English Almost but not quite teams?

Any other suggestions welcome?

1 hour ago, Midred said:

Sam Curran at £1.85m becomes the most expensive IPL player.

Wonder  when FIFA will catch on to this and create a summer International league where any professional player can be bid for to play for the German Panzers or for the English Almost but not quite teams?

Any other suggestions welcome?

30 minute matches two balls on the pitch. 

On 21/12/2022 at 22:32, Robbored said:

He was England captain - a coach in other words. 

A captain is not a coach? Yes in cricket they have to be more involved tavctically than any other sport but still not a coaching role but even if it were as a captain (or coach) we won an away Ashes series and were world number one's for a period of time so what wasn't impressive about that?

Interesting call from the Aussies.

Australia have withdrawn from a men's one-day series against Afghanistan because of the Taliban's restrictions on women and girls.

The three-match series was scheduled to take place in the United Arab Emirates in March.

30 minutes ago, Super said:

Interesting call from the Aussies.

Australia have withdrawn from a men's one-day series against Afghanistan because of the Taliban's restrictions on women and girls.

The three-match series was scheduled to take place in the United Arab Emirates in March.

No doubt a difficult call.

I daresay the majority, if not all, of the Afghan players, management etc. abhor the Taliban and all they stand for, but, for obvious reasons, are unable to take action themselves, direct or otherwise.

Frankly, I see Australia’s decision having little if any effect on the Taliban’s treatment of women, but I suppose, just like apartheid, protest has to start somewhere.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Cricket or nor cricket?

I can see both arguments.

My opinion has always been along the lines of if the bowler has taken off/entered their delivery stride then that should be the point where you can't then attempt it, you're talking such a miniscule moment in time from taking off to bowling. The rule was to stop batters gaining an obvious advantage, in the example in the video above if you pause it when the bowler takes off, if you pause it when the bowler is in the air and is looking down and decides to pull out of the action the batter is still in the crease, if the bowler just bowls their normal action the batter probably leaves the crease with the bowler releasing the ball and no one would think anything of it. It almost feels like football with a penalty where the bowler is the penalty taker and how players used to stop just before taking the penalty to see if the keeper dives. 

I think its a fair concept to keep in but and if someone is leaving the crease before you enter your delivery stride then absolutely fair play, but I think once you commit to your delivery stride you shouldn't be able to then pull out of it to do it.

18 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Had an email saying I didn't get any tickets for the fifth Ashes Test at the Oval the other day. It said 1.3m people had applied for the ballot! Crazy numbers 

I'd bet that loads saw the prices Lords were charging and went for the Oval as the cheaper alternative.

Lords wanted £160 for the Mound Stand. Thats £50 more than they charged against NZ last summer, and double the price at Old Trafford for the Ashes.

• Like 1

On 16/01/2023 at 19:30, Lrrr said:

My opinion has always been along the lines of if the bowler has taken off/entered their delivery stride then that should be the point where you can't then attempt it, you're talking such a miniscule moment in time from taking off to bowling. The rule was to stop batters gaining an obvious advantage, in the example in the video above if you pause it when the bowler takes off, if you pause it when the bowler is in the air and is looking down and decides to pull out of the action the batter is still in the crease, if the bowler just bowls their normal action the batter probably leaves the crease with the bowler releasing the ball and no one would think anything of it. It almost feels like football with a penalty where the bowler is the penalty taker and how players used to stop just before taking the penalty to see if the keeper dives. 

I think its a fair concept to keep in but and if someone is leaving the crease before you enter your delivery stride then absolutely fair play, but I think once you commit to your delivery stride you shouldn't be able to then pull out of it to do it.

I hate mankading. My fear is that kids will keep trying it next season and it will get farcical. Apparently the rule will be made clearer by saying that batters can come out of their crease when the bowlers bowling arm is at its highest point, that way everyone has a clear moment in time to look for.  It’s an absolute farce though.  By all means increase the number of warnings and give every batter one warning but I really don’t want to see the number of mankads increasing at any level of the game.  Going to need some strong coaching/umpiring at youth level!  At that level, kids will be told to just get on with the game I think 

Just to put things into perspective?, not my words BTW

Ben Stokes has had a night out, been arrested, cleared of affray, served an ECB ban, won an ODI World Cup, played one of the great Test innings, won a T20 World Cup, become Test captain, & retired from ODIs in the time between Moeen Ali's last two ODI scores of fifty or more