IGNORED

International Cricket

Monkeh

Accidentally posted in county thread at start of play

So if we're going at about a run a ball how many runs could we score in a day? Even being a 4 day test we could in theory bat for (almost) a couple of days and leave ourselves just over a day to bowl them out again if we can bat for that long

Well done Duckett, off 106 as well

Pope now 50 too

First batter not to make 50?

18 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Accidentally posted in county thread at start of play

So if we're going at about a run a ball how many runs could we score in a day? Even being a 4 day test we could in theory bat for (almost) a couple of days and leave ourselves just over a day to bowl them out again if we can bat for that long

Well done Duckett, off 106 as well

Pope now 50 too

First batter not to make 50?

We will score shed loads if the bowlers constantly bowl an off stump line (or just outside off) without deploying a third man. 22% of Duckett's runs have been scored through third man and if anyone thinks you can bowl to Joe Root without a third man, given his ability to play the ball so late, they're daft. 

I will never understand this modern thinking that you can bowl an off stump line and place your entire offside field in front of square. 

Edited by RoystonFoote'snephew
Text corrrection

1 minute ago, TonyTonyTony said:

This reminds me of watching a game up the Lake ground. A first XI (men) vs 2nd XI (boys)

Its a bit pointless really

I agree. I don't know if this is what we need before the Ashes or not. Maybe playing County Cricket would be better preparation.

Edited by Super

27 minutes ago, Super said:

I agree. I don't know if this is what we need before the Ashes or not. Maybe playing County Cricket would be better preparation.

Bangladesh didn't have a great stature in test cricket before the 05 ashes, better than Ireland yes but wasn't an intense preparation

• Admin
34 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Bangladesh didn't have a great stature in test cricket before the 05 ashes, better than Ireland yes but wasn't an intense preparation

Tricky one, if you compare to football would you rather your last friendly fixture to hammer someone or have a tough fixture?

I'd personally rather hammer someone to lift confidence

Not sure about county matches as the players are all bonding at the moment, and the way Ireland beat Essex it shows the difference the level there

3 minutes ago, phantom said:

Tricky one, if you compare to football would you rather your last friendly fixture to hammer someone or have a tough fixture?

Not sure about county matches as the players are all bonding at the moment, and the way Ireland beat Essex it shows the difference the level there

The only thing you could say would be England facing a county championship XI but that would never happen unless you forced a window for it so no clubs lost out on players.

Well done Pope as well, straight forward ton but you still have to do it. At what point does Crawley's 50 look like a failure when you factor that on his wagon wheel his highest scoring area was the 1/8th behind the stumps on the leg side.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phantom said:

The Essex team consisted of 2nd string Essex players and some of the Irish squad, don't read too much into that. Would be good to see all of the batsmen get time in the middle and some runs under the belt to be fair, don't see the point of an early declaration, there's no weather issues so could feasibly bat until tea tomorrow (800+ runs) and then skittle them out on Sunday.

• Like 1

Duckett scores a hundred before lunch and now Pope scores a hundred between lunch and tea. Both are incredible landmarks and should be celebrated but, without wishing to diminish their achievements, what does it say about the bowling? To allow scoring at a run a ball in test cricket could well become the norm for Ireland. 

3 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Hmmm.

A similar thought occurred to me, but (luckily) I refrained from posting.

A Michelle and, presumably, on the honours board.

He will be once the others return to the team, if they want a quicker enforcer they’ll pick Wood otherwise the attack will be Anderson, Broad, Robinson 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lrrr said:

He will be once the others return to the team, if they want a quicker enforcer they’ll pick Wood otherwise the attack will be Anderson, Broad, Robinson 

Yeah, this week was purely to look at him as an alternative to Wood if he goes down injured. Wood won't play all 5 Tests in any case, none of the seamers will.

7 minutes ago, TomF said:

Gutted for the bloke, finally a captain who believes in him and ever improving under guidance of Patel. 

Who do England turn to? Rehab Ahmed would be a crazy gamble.  I expect we’ll be silly and call up Livingstone 

Or will Adil Rashid change his mind about red ball cricket?

Only half serious.

BBC reckon they'll ask Moeen if he fancies it, although no guarantee that he will. Otherwise you're looking at Rehan Ahmed or call in Jacks or Livingstone who aren't as good with the ball but do improve the batting.

My hunch is that they call up Ahmed but don't always pick him, gives them the option playing the extra seamer which would be useful if Stokes isn't going to bowl much, or at all.